Battle At Bristol WebCam

That is really cool to look at, but that is going to be one difficult game to watch from the stands. Don't get me wrong, I wish I were going, but it would be all about the overall experience and not for the actual viewing of the game.

Reactions: 2 people
Mods, please sticky this? Would love to be able to quickly find the thread and get an updated view of the stadium at any time. Thanks! :)

Reactions: 8 people
So using a magnifying glass, here are the activities I could pick out as of today -- this is from left to right on the live feed:

BaB%20-%20Day%201%20Activity.png

Reactions: 1 person
So using a magnifying glass, here are the activities I could pick out as of today -- this is from left to right on the live feed:

BaB%20-%20Day%201%20Activity.png

Pardon my ignorance but what are they using all the gravel for? I have zero experience with landscaping and have never been to BMS to even have a guess at what it is being used for.

Pardon my ignorance but what are they using all the gravel for? I have zero experience with landscaping and have never been to BMS to even have a guess at what it is being used for.

They explained it in one of the articles written in the past few weeks.

The infield of Bristol is actually concave, so that all the rain that falls in the stadium flows to an outlet drain in the very middle.

But a football field has to be convex, slightly higher in the center and dropping gradually toward the edges.

So they're filling the concave bowl to make a "crown" on which the turf will be placed. The lower levels of that fill are gravel.

So from the side, it would look like this:

Bristol%20field%20fill.png

Reactions: 16 people

They are building up the playing surface. Gonna need 3.5 feet of gravel as a base layer from what I have read.

They explained it in one of the articles written in the past few weeks.

The infield of Bristol is actually concave, so that all the rain that falls in the stadium flows to an outlet drain in the very middle.

But a football field has to be convex, slightly higher in the center and dropping gradually toward the edges.

So they're filling the concave bowl to make a "crown" on which the turf will be placed. The lower levels of that fill are gravel.

So from the side, it would look like this:

Bristol%20field%20fill.png

Awesome and thanks.

Reactions: 3 people

Building up the base: the middle will be slightly higher that the sides, like a regular football field.

I was hoping they would do this!

As I've mentioned before, one of my co-workers drives the rescue squad that sits in turn 3 for the BMS races and he will also be working the game. He gave me an update this morning and thought I'd share with my VFL family.

* Your ticket will have to be displayed at all times while on BMS property, which will all be fenced in with various entrances.

* You HAVE to enter at the gate number indicated on your ticket.

* Once inside the track/field you cannot go out and re-enter.

* Prepare for all but a cavity search to get inside the facility.

* The same Trams that operate during the races will be operating for this event. (Thank GAWD! Those hills can be BRUTAL!)

* This may have already been posted, but the end zone between turns 1 and 2 will be our end zone and the one between 3 and 4 will have that 'other' teams logo.

:rock:
GBO!!!

That is really cool to look at, but that is going to be one difficult game to watch from the stands. Don't get me wrong, I wish I were going, but it would be all about the overall experience and not for the actual viewing of the game.

Agree, I think people who regularly go to games at Neyland are in for a big shock when they realize they left their binoculars at home. I'll be watching this one from the living room.

Just from looking at it does it look like the field will be shifted closer to turn 1&2? (The Tennessee end) Also the lower seats in turns 3&4 could be tuff to see the end zone with the buildings in the way.

Just from looking at it does it look like the field will be shifted closer to turn 1&2? (The Tennessee end) Also the lower seats in turns 3&4 could be tuff to see the end zone with the buildings in the way.

Its about a 15' offset.

Kind of scary that this much work needing to be done in such a short period of time. I worry about the players footing being solid unless field turf or something. Will sodded grass take solid hold that quickly for all the explosive movements the skill players will be making?

Kind of scary that this much work needing to be done in such a short period of time. I worry about the players footing being solid unless field turf or something. Will sodded grass take solid hold that quickly for all the explosive movements the skill players will be making?

I will go ahead and predict this observation/question will be made/asked all the way to kickoff.

There is no sod.

VN Store

Back