Is anybody else miffed.....

rockymountainvol

...about ESPN and other news outlets basing our close losses in the 2015 season as reasons why we wont be successful in 2016? ESPN and SEC Network ran this hype train before the start of last season, then chided VOLS fans for being on the hype train after losing. I don't get this sense of hypocrisy. The networks basically have their analysts drink the Kool-Aid, then once something goes wrong, that team sucks. Except for Michigan. Michigan could go winless and still be the media's darlings.
I personally think #120 will be more focused. Both Florida and Alabama players have given this team enough bulletin board material to go lay 50 on each, but I know this game is as mental as it is physical.
I am just tired of reading the We Love Tennessee....But blogs.
I know, win and everyone is silenced.
SIAP, but I am in venting mode.

Reactions: 6 people
They've got to have something to talk about and someone's pot to stir. The Vols are the sexy pick this year for everyone to rile up. I hope that it's all used as bulletin board material.

Reactions: 6 people
Maybe all the "but" stories will help motivate team 120.

Reactions: 1 person
They have to talk about something,I personally think we will be much better at closing out games and shut these people up for a few years.

I am not miffed at all. The first reason being that it is not an unreasonable assumption to think that Butch didn't somehow miraculously learn how to win over the off season. If he has learned how to win the close ones then he needs to prove it on the field. Second, I don't take what a bunch of talking heads on TV say personally. That would lead to a lot of needless anxiety.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
The only way for the Volsto get respect is to earn it on the field until then preseason predictions are just someone's opinion that really doesn't mean much.

Reactions: 3 people
I am not miffed at all. The first reason being that it is not an unreasonable assumption to think that Butch didn't learn how to win over the off season. If he has learned how to win the close ones then he needs to prove it on the field. Second, I don't take what a bunch of talking heads on TV say personally. That would lead to a lot of needless anxiety.

I think by CBJ bringing in Shoop over Jancek may have been a statement about winning. Jancek's call on a 4th and 16 late in the game was absurd.

But I do agree with your sentiment that their is assumption that this coaching staff may not have what it takes.

Winning silences critics and cures all fanbase woes.

A lot of analysts aren't buying the hype and use 2015 UF, OU, and Bama as an example, because in their eyes, Butch can't close tight games. They think his in-game coaching and late game management will be a continuing factor limiting our success. I can't disagree... until he proves he can keep his foot on the gas and close out a game, the verdict is still open.

Reactions: 5 people
It's called 24 hour news! You have to have something to talk about. No one really cares if they change their opinion...which means nothing! If they're correct, big deal. If they're wrong, big deal.

Reactions: 2 people
I think by CBJ bringing in Shoop over Jancek may have been a statement about winning. Jancek's call on a 4th and 16 late in the game was absurd.

But I do agree with your sentiment that their is assumption that this coaching staff may not have what it takes.

Winning silences critics and cures all fanbase woes.

I do agree with you...but it really comes down to CBJ being too conservative on offense in the losses and missed FG's

If the Vols can blow through this season with possibly only 1 loss, they will no doubt get the attention Vol fans hope and wish for, don't you think?

Did it make you mad? Did you talk about it? Did you watch more or try to find someone else on ESPN that disagreed?

If yes to any of those questions.... their tactic worked. You should never take preseason hype or lists serious. They are NOTHING but ways for the media to make money off our excitement and anticipation.

I got annoyed at the analysts saying "pump the brakes Vol fans" when they were the ones saying win they would be a dark horse. Very few of us thought the team last year would be as good as some of the media said. Im glad I wasnt the only one who noticed.

Stop watching the commentary or at the very least take it with a grain of salt. I quit about 4-5 years ago and it makes the games more enjoyable.

The only way to get respect is to win the games with teams above you. Until we beat Florida we will not get any respect and that goes for Alabama too.

I think you are getting the narrative wrong. Because UGA and UF remain relatively down, and UT is one of the most experienced teams in the country, the sensible thing to do is make them the favorite to win the East.

But in the last decade you've become everyone's favorite whipping boy. The classic underachiever story, year in and year out. So on any given show one guy can tout the UT experience numbers and the fact that UGA has a new coach and UF's offense is unknown, and promote you. Then the other guy can go back to the party line about underachieving.

That way, one of them is right, and in four months or so can brag about it and either hype you more, or bash you more, as the case may be. Its win-win for the sports media.

Reactions: 5 people
Usual ESPN. I agree with Lawgator they will be correct either way by promoting both sides of the story.

VN Store

Back