Which Butch Jones do you think we see in 2016?

NoogaVol423

Go Big Orange
I am posting this solely to see the opinions of other Vols fans. Sorry this isn't an "exciting first thread".

Do you think we will see a new, cut throat, "foot always on the gas" Butch Jones this year?

or

Do you think we will see the "we are very young", "we only have 11 seniors on the team", and the very conservative, playing not to lose Butch again?

*FYI, I like Butch Jones personally, so this is not a bashing thread on him. Just wanted to see the opinions of others what they think he will bring to the table this year.

Reactions: 1 person
I think it will honestly depend on what he believes.
If he realized not staying in attack mode is a mistake, I'm sure he'll change it.
Seems like a smart enough guy to learn if he realizes there was a mistake.

If he believes that all the losses were just because of the defensive calls, he may think there's no problem with the offense a plan.
Which could very well equal more of the same.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Butch will be out to prove something this season. With all of the talk about how "Butch can't close big games", "Butch choked", "Butch can't coach in the SEC", "Butch is a great recruiter, but a mediocre coach", etc. I think he'll be going for the throat this season.

Reactions: 5 people
3891539.jpg

Reactions: 27 people
He has to navigate his way into a fairly narrow strait, between the "let it all hang loose" Butch of Cincinnati days, and the "too tight" Butch that called for a field goal from the 1 yard line against OK.

He has been both, in the recent past. Therefore, he can be either. Question is, can he find something in between?

There's a "sweet spot" Butch in the middle, one where he takes crafty risks while also playing it smart. I'm hoping he finds that sweet spot this year, and stays in it for years to come.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Butch Jones is, above all, a builder with attention to details. Part of the building he's done for us is to bring in a couple of outstanding coordinators.

I think come game time, he turns his coordinators loose.

They'll have already agreed on how they'll handle every imaginable situation, but the head coach can (and should) intercede according to what he sees/hears/feels on the sideline. But I don't see Butch as one taking counsel of his fears. He knows this is the season, the moment, to let his building project prove itself on the scoreboard.

It will be more interesting to see how Coach Scott does (and if he earns Butch's confidence) calling the special teams game. Elder was "special"...

Methinks that with a guy like Shoop, there won't be any conservative play in the second half. Let's hope that the entire coaching staff learned their lesson last year -- they have had their noses rubbed in their conservative play too many times since.

And for goodness sake, somebody please hide Butch's field goal chart...

What I like about Butch is that even though we have blasted him for some decisions hes made, he has responded each time with a change or upgrade.
I tend to be like him sometimes: you have a full, every detail laid out plan and you know where youre going but you hate when it doesn't go exactly as planned, especially when someone points out a flaw in your plan and you are a little stubborn to change.
He may be a little slow in changing but he does.
We didn't think he had the right guys as OC and DC but he had planned to upgrade all along IMO. It seems when we chewed him out (especially this year) about playcalling or game planning, its almost like he reads VON lol. I think Butch is a really smart guy and though he hates when his system isn't perfect, he is smart enough to adjust. I even commend him for throwing the ball more against Arkansas who had a bad pass D, it simply backfired.
I remember watching Fulmer and Dooley (and other teams coaches) and thinking "Why do you keep making these type of decisions!" but Butch has shown ME that he was indeed learning on the job but that he HAS learned. To name off my head:
Got another OC.
Didn't pass enough against UF and OU so he tried it more vs Arkansas.
Got bashed for playing conservative and then went all in vs UGA.
Gameplanned awesome for Bama with 2 FR OL and the DL not being healthy.
Upgraded DC.
Got rid of S&C guy.
So after all that, I think it depends on the opponent and situation, but I believe he will play super aggressive vs UF (after not being so much vs VT, purposely) and Shop will throw the house at Florida's QB and subpar offense.
Butch IMO knew that the offense was not fully developed and the defense was solid enough last year that he didn't want to give the game away by being took aggressive. Unfortunately it backfired and the D wasnt able to hold nor did he make enough adjustments early. Things changed at the UGA game.
I really wish they wouldn't be super conservative on their last drive, needing to finish off the clock :/

Reactions: 3 people
Bury every opponent.. When you got a team down.. Step on their throat

Exactly!
Not sure which Butch will show up, but the one that plays all out with no fear like he has a team full of talent, better be the one that shows up or there will be a lot of very unhappy people!

Exactly!
Not sure which Butch will show up, but the one that plays all out with no fear like he has a team full of talent, better be the one that shows up or there will be a lot of very unhappy people!

I remember a few times last year.. we would have the ball for less than a minutes with a nice lead.. run, run and then a 2 yard pass... PUNT..

No matter what kind of season we have, I’m sure Butch will sum it up with a football cliché.

Better be the one that learns from his mistakes, now knows that this is the SEC, and will absolutely NOT take his foot off the accelerator until the whistle blows and the game is over.... no matter WHO we are playing...

I like to think that Butch was a little nervous @ our young team making mistakes last year and costing us the game. The odds of being able to hang on and win are usually in the leaders favor. Huge late plays by OU and UF ironically disproved the odds in that case.
This year I believe he sees himself as the predator in most every game, and will decide accordingly.

Most of all, I hope NO pressure from fans or media (including my own) creeps into his mind in game planning or play calling time. The man needs to win or lose on his own steam. Doing anything to appease "outsiders" is almost a universal recipe for disaster.

Sometimes what we fans interpret as "conservative" play is the coaching staff realizing that the best play to call in a critical situation is not the best play for all of our players to execute.

The staff may be confident that Dobbs can hit the slot receiver in the flat for a critical 5 yards. BUT if the OT on that side has only been successful 50% of the time moving this particular DE out of passing lanes today... then a simple toss & catch has, on this particular gameday, only a 50% chance of success.

If the injury bug stays away this season, we'll appear less conservative if only because we'll have better matchups all across the field. That's what opens up the playbook for coaches--favorable matchups they can trust.

I think we're gonna see the blood red faced I'm gonna choke an official Butch then the celebratory Butch at least 12 times this year.

VN Store

Back