NFL Star Power

IndianaVolunteer

With the recruiting loss of E. Jones, losing Tee, and Trevor Lawrence- folks keep mentioning Butch's lack of NFL draftees as a reason highly rated kids don't want to sign with us.

I personally believe we go at worst 10-2 this year. We have a decent amount of Jr/Sr who could be drafted with a good season. How many draftees does this team field?? And what affect does it have on the the future of TN football and recruiting?

I believing getting to the SECCG and having many draftees will open a lot of doors in the near future for this program..

Last edited:
With the recruiting loss of E. Jones, losing Tee, and Trevor Lawrence- folks keep mentioning Butch's lack of NFL draftees as a reason highly rated kids don't want to sign with us.

I personally believe we go at worst 10-2 this year. We have a decent amount of Jr/Sr who could be drafted with a good season. How many draftees does this team field, and what affect does it have on the the future of TN football.

I believing getting to the SECCG and having many draftees will open a lot of doors in the near future for this program..

The roster that Dooley left him had little to no NFL talent. 2017 draft will be the start of his talent that he recruited.. Remember Marlin Lane got put on the bench by an incoming Hurd

Reactions: 4 people
If a player truly has NFL talent...it doesn't matter where they went to college. They are going to get their shot. It happens every year...players from colleges some have never even heard of show off at the combine! We simply are just now fielding a roster that has NFL talent on it in places....and yes...Butch Jones is the reason for that. People need to stop questioning his recruiting abilities! The reason you are seeing a few more 3 star players is because we are finally in a position where we can "develop" young talent instead of having to depend on a couple of 5 star kids to get us relevant again in the SEC. There will still be 4/5 star guys that continue to sign (don't panic star gazers!). Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Likely draft picks in the 2017 draft (in order of likelihood):

Barnett
Sutton
Hurd
Reeves-Maybin
Kamara
Dobbs
Vereen

Barnett
Sutton
Hurd
Reeves-Maybin
Kamara
Dobbs
Vereen

I'm still not sold on Dobbs going pro. I think if he gets a high draft pick maybe, but I think every team will tell him they want him at a position other than QB. He will have a very high paying career in aeronautics pulling him the other direction. Will be interesting to see

I'm still not sold on Dobbs going pro. I think if he gets a high draft pick maybe, but I think every team will tell him they want him at a position other than QB. He will have a very high paying career in aeronautics pulling him the other direction. Will be interesting to see

The Patriots took Jacoby Brissett in the 3rd round. Nobody is going to ask Dobbs to switch positions. He will be drafted, write that down.

Reactions: 5 people

Barnett
Sutton
Hurd
Reeves-Maybin
Kamara
Dobbs
Vereen

This will be the order of our draft picks:

Day 1
Dobbs - early 1st round
Sutton - early 1st round
Hurd - mid 1st round
Barnett - late 1st round

Day 2
Kamara - 2nd to 3rd round
JRM - 3rd round

Day 3
Weisman - 4th round
Vereen - 4th to 5th round
Croom - 4th to 5th round
Foreman - 6th to 7th round

Reactions: 1 person
This will be the order of our draft picks:

Day 1
Dobbs - early 1st round
Sutton - early 1st round
Hurd - mid 1st round
Barnett - late 1st round

Day 2
Kamara - 2nd to 3rd round
JRM - 3rd round

Day 3
Weisman - 4th round
Vereen - 4th to 5th round
Croom - 4th to 5th round
Foreman - 6th to 7th round

Barnett will be a top 10 pick.. Book it

Reactions: 6 people

Barnett
Sutton
Hurd
Reeves-Maybin
Kamara
Dobbs
Vereen

Other possibilities would be Justin Martin and TKJr. I think the majority of our starters are likely to be drafted or at least get a shot at the NFL. Tuttle, BigMac, Kirkland, and a handful of linemen on both sides are basically locks to be drafted fairly high up eventually.

Top five wouldn't surprise me at all. This is his money year. Fun fact my buddy ran into him up in Nashville last night. Said he was a really good guy and absolutely jacked in person.

He is also a 3 down player.. Great against the run and a sacking nofo

On this team? I'm not ignorant enough to assign a round pick per person, but a good guess might be...

I'd say undrafted free agents that get picked up immediately after might include:

Croom, O'Brien, LaTroy Lewis and Vereen. Maybe Vickers if he declares early.

Drafted and in no particular order and if they declare:

JRM, Dobbs, Kamara, Sutton, Hurd, Barnett, Wiesman, Foreman

Other possible draft picks depending on the kind of season they have and if they declare:

Malone, TK Jr, Martin, Wolf, Josh Smith, Coleman Thomas

Surprise of the crowd might be Evan Berry. He's not really talked about in those kinds of terms since he's mainly been a utility player so far.

He can always go back to the engineering world after a stint in the NFL. It doesn't work the other way around though. I'm thinking if he has a chance to play in the NFL, he'll take that chance. He'll graduate making $60k/yr or so in the engineering profession and that figure will take off towards $100k in a 5-7 year timeframe, assuming he is as smart as advertised and performs well. Still, he can probably make more than that day 1 in the NFL.

On this team? I'm not ignorant enough to assign a round pick per person, but a good guess might be...

I'd say undrafted free agents that get picked up immediately after might include:

Other possible draft picks depending on the kind of season they have and if they declare:

Surprise of the crowd might be Evan Berry. He's not really talked about in those kinds of terms since he's mainly been a utility player so far.

Thomas and Wolf are pro players.. Does not matter if its the 2017 or 2018 draft

Barnett is our best NFL talent. Mark my words. Dobbs may go in the late rounds, but I don't expect him to get any looks at QB. Kamara is probably more valuable to an NFL team than Hurd even though Hurd is better imo.

Reactions: 2 people
Barnett is our best NFL talent. Mark my words. Dobbs may go in the late rounds, but I don't expect him to get any looks at QB. Kamara is probably more valuable to an NFL team than Hurd even though Hurd is better imo.

Some of y'all are so foolish. When will yall learn the NFL game is different than college?

Athleticism means a lot more at that level. I love Barnett and think he'll be a solid pro but he's nowhere close to our best pro prospect. Barnett's lack of elite athleticism will hurt his stock once the draft process begins.

Hurd is our best overall athlete and NFL prospect. If I had to bet, he's the most likely to have a Hall of Fame career. Followed by Sutton.

Last edited:
Some of y'all are so foolish. When will yall learn the NFL game is different than college?

Athleticism means a lot more at that level. I love Barnett and think he'll be a solid pro but he's nowhere close to our best pro prospect. Barnett's lack of elite athleticism will hurt his stock once the draft process begins.

Hurd is our best overall athlete and NFL prospect. If I had to bet, he's the most likely to have a Hall of Fame career. Followed by Sutton.

Ok, tell me which of these points is foolish:

1. Running backs are seen as much more interchangeable in the NFL these days and therefore only the most elite, sure-fire backs are considered in the first round. Also, Hurd has not shown break away speed at all. They like that in the NFL. I also expect his height to raise injury concerns with teams. He will be lucky to be a top five back off the board next year.

2. You MUST be a very proficient passer to play in the league and even more so to be drafted early. Dobbs isn't bad but he hasn't shown he can get it done at that level.

3. How the heck can you say Barnett isn't athletic enough to be drafted early and excel in the NFL? All he's done so far is be a sacking, tackling, TFL monster in the SEC the past two years. He is set up to break the UT sack record as a true Junior.

In my opinion Barnett goes first followed by Sutton, Hurd, Kamara, and Dobbs. If Dobbs passes better this year then. . . well y'all know the rest.

3. How the heck can you say Barnett isn't athletic enough to be drafted early and excel in the NFL? All he's done so far is be a sacking, tackling, TFL monster in the SEC the past two years. He is set up to break the UT sack record as a true Junior.

In my opinion Barnett goes first followed by Sutton, Hurd, Kamara, and Dobbs. If Dobbs passes better this year then. . . well y'all know the rest.

Lots of guys put up stats in college only to disappear in the pros. This is yalls problem. You worship at the alter of the stat sheet. And yes, statistically Barnett is Tennessee's most impressive player.

I simply hold no value for college stats.

I look more at how the player gets those stats. I care more about whether the player has the ideal height, weight, speed and atheticism for the positiom. I watch how they play more than whether they get stats.

Barnett's problem is he lacks ideal height, weight, speed, and athleticism for an NFL DE. He's undersized at 6'2" or 6'3". He's not explosive. His body is not very sculpted and cut. He's still kinda sloppy. And most of his sacks and tfls come from effort rather than simply out-athleting the competition.

I like my player to out-athlete the opposition rather than beating them cause he's trying harder.

Last edited:
Ok, tell me which of these points is foolish:

1. Running backs are seen as much more interchangeable in the NFL these days and therefore only the most elite, sure-fire backs are considered in the first round. Also, Hurd has not shown break away speed at all. They like that in the NFL. I also expect his height to raise injury concerns with teams. He will be lucky to be a top five back off the board next year.

2. You MUST be a very proficient passer to play in the league and even more so to be drafted early. Dobbs isn't bad but he hasn't shown he can get it done at that level.

I'm high on Dobbs and Hurd for the same reason I'm not so high on Derek. Dobbs and Hurd might not put up big time college stats but they check the NFL boxes for elite athleticism and in Dobbs' case elite arm talent.

Dobbs for all his faults in terms of consistency throwing the ball accurately has NFL attributes. He's got good size at 6'3" 215 and great arm strength. Just look up that throw he made to Josh Malone for that long TD in the Kentucky game. That ball went 55 yards thru the air on a rope.

I listen to a podcast called "Move the Sticks". It's made by NFL Network draft analysts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks. A few weeks back they had a guy on who attended the Manning Academy talk about some of the college QBs he saw there and their pro prospect. The guy raved about Dobbs arm talent. He said Dobbs had improved a ton from what he saw a year ago. He said Dobbs was making NFL throws at the camp and showed the elite arm strength scouts look for. We'll see where Dobbs is when it comes to consistency this fall. But in terms of pure arm talent he's the ideal when it comes to what NFL teams look for. Plus he's about as elite athletically as you could hope for in a QB.

Hurd while taller than the ideal back is a FREAK athlete. I've compared him to Calvin Johnson. IMO he's the running back version of Megatron. A supersized athlete that runs and cuts like a guy who is much smaller. I consider Hurd a bonafide elite RB prospect. His lack of long runs or huge rushing performances is more of a product of our weak offensive line than an indictment of his skill level. He'll be a lot more dominant in the pros than he has been in college so far.

Athleticism is way more important when it comes to NFL success than college stats. And Dobbs and Hurd are about as elite an athlete as you can find in college football.

Last edited:

Evan Berry is the truth.

I'm high on Dobbs and Hurd for the same reason I'm not so high on Derek. Dobbs and Hurd might not put up big time college stats but they check the NFL boxes for elite athleticism and in Dobbs' case elite arm talent.

Dobbs for all his faults in terms of consistency throwing the ball accurately has NFL attributes. He's got good size at 6'3" 215 and great arm strength. Just look up that throw he made to Josh Malone for that long TD in the Kentucky game. That ball went 55 yards thru the air on a rope.

I listen to a podcast called "Move the Sticks". It's made by NFL Network draft analysts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks. A few weeks back they had a guy on who attended the Manning Academy talk about some of the college QBs he saw there and their pro prospect. The guy raved about Dobbs arm talent. He said Dobbs had improved a ton from what he saw a year ago. He said Dobbs was making NFL throws at the camp and showed the elite arm strength scouts look for. We'll see where Dobbs is when it comes to consistency this fall. But in terms of pure arm talent he's the ideal when it comes to what NFL teams look for. Plus he's about as elite athletically as you could hope for in a QB.

Hurd while taller than the ideal back is a FREAK athlete. I've compared him to Calvin Johnson. IMO he's the running back version of Megatron. A supersized athlete that runs and cuts like a guy who is much smaller. I consider Hurd a bonafide elite RB prospect. His lack of long runs or huge rushing performances is more of a product of our weak offensive line than an indictment of his skill level. He'll be a lot more dominant in the pros than he has been in college so far.

Athleticism is way more important when it comes to NFL success than college stats. And Dobbs and Hurd are about as elite an athlete as you can find in college football.

I don't doubt that Dobbs has the arm strength to make all the throws he needs to. The problem like you mentioned is for whatever reason he doesn't throw consistently in game situations. I hope it changes this season but if he doesn't show marked improvement I don't think scouts will use a high draft pick hoping they can get him into form. If hes not passing at a high level as a Senior with tons of starts under his belt it's likely not to change once he gets to the NFL.

As for Hurd he is definitely an awesome player and has done more than probably anyone could with our line problems. However, you would expect to see at least a handful of long runs. Break away speed is obviously his only weakness, and who can blame him he's 240 pounds. I would almost go as far as saying that Kamara could very well end up being the more coveted back of the two come draft day. He fits the prototypical NFL back mold. Where Hurd stands out over him is blocking.

VN Store

Back