DL & LB previews by TFP's Patrick Brown

kamoshika

Pretty good overviews, IMO:

The next NFL jersey to go up in the room dedicated to the program's first-round draft picks in Tennessee's complex likely will be Derek Barnett's, presuming the star defensive end turns pro after this season.

Barnett, who stands intimidatingly with his arms crossed on the cover of Tennessee's 2016 media guide, headlines a deep and talented front the Volunteers believe can transform their defense into a championship unit.

Tennessee preseason preview: Defensive line | Times Free Press

If the Vols are unable to identify another linebacker or two they can trust, they won't be able to spell Reeves-Maybin and Kirkland very often and run the risk of wearing them down by playing them too many snaps.

There's also a question of what Tennessee will do in situations requiring a three-linebacker formation.

The Vols started three linebackers in four games last season. Shoop employed the system more often at Vanderbilt and Penn State, but it's difficult to see him continuing it with the Vols. At this juncture Tennessee's fifth defensive back, whether it's Malik Foreman or a third safety, is better than its third linebacker.

Tennessee preseason preview: Linebackers | Times Free Press

I'm confident that Sapp and/or McDowell will emerge as a very solid 3rd LB.

Reactions: 4 people
Vickers is the key at DT. He will getting alot of one on one .. He can and should be a disruptive force next to Mckenzie

Reactions: 2 people
Is it just me or does it seem like Bates just fell off the map? He could easily be the 3rd linebacker, one would think.

Is it just me or does it seem like Bates just fell off the map? He could easily be the 3rd linebacker, one would think.

Him and Elliott Berry, just never hear about this youngster. Granted Evan was always the more athletic but did not think Elliott was necessarily chopped liver.

Look for D Taylor to break out.. His closing speed on the edge is ridiculous

Bituli is no joke, Kirkland is special no doubt, but I don't think Bituli as a true freshman is that far behind Kirkland's freshman campaign physically. How quickly he can catch on mentally? Time will tell, but he should be able to get some reps this year.

Yeah, what about Bates? I'd love to see Gavin Byrant step up and get some playing time, especially in games we have in hand. What's his status? Does anyone see him getting playing time?

I'm not concerned about a 3rd or 4th linebacker emerging out of this group: Bates, McDowell, Berry, Bryant, Sapp.

Reactions: 1 person
11244554.jpeg

11851464.jpeg

VN Store

Back