Tennessee Football Recruiting: 5 Biggest Remaining Needs in Vols' 2017 Class

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Tennessee Football Recruiting: 5 Biggest Remaining Needs in Vols' 2017 Class | Bleacher Report

Running Back

ab3a80abfa2929e8a59318d438a7aec9_crop_north.jpg

For reasons already mentioned, there's no bigger need for the Vols in this year's class than at running back. It's been that way since the cycle started, and it'll remain that way until UT can snag one of its two biggest remaining targets.
Yes, getting Lewis for the 2016 season helps, considering Hurd and Kamara could leave and sophomore Joe Young likely won't ever play again for the Vols due to an injury. That leaves just John Kelly, Carlin Fils-Aime and Lewis on the roster.
Tennessee added West Monroe, Louisiana, 3-star runner Trey Coleman to its class earlier this season, and he is physical enough as a runner to be an every-down back. However, the Vols still have their sights set on an elite duo. That would be Mississippi running back and former Alabama commit Cam Akers and in-state star Ty Chandler.
Though both players seem to have good relationships with Vols running backs coach Robert Gillespie, neither are sure-thing Vols. It's far from that, actually.
Akers is perhaps the most coveted uncommitted running back remaining in this class, and the trendy pick for the Clinton, Mississippi, runner is joining Ohio State's star-studded class in Columbus. Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss are huge factors in the rights for his signature, too.
UT is trying to play the angle with Akers that Gillespie is also a Mississippi native, and they're also selling him on stepping in right away and becoming the man with Hurd and Kamara expected to turn pro a year early.
"Just like my man Coach G #SIPBOYZ!!" Akers tweeted upon receiving his fifth star.
Chandler also has ties to Mississippi, even though he plays at Nashville's Montgomery Bell Academy. His dad played for Ole Miss, and the Rebels are in the mix for his services along with Georgia and others.
Tennessee is firmly on the minds of both players, and if the Vols don't get at least one of those guys, it's going to be difficult to feel thrilled about this class. So, yeah, that's a major need.

Of all needs listed I think a elite RB is our biggest. Hurd and Kamara are gone after this season imo and we need to rebuild the stable

Reactions: 1 person
Don't get me wrong I LOVE Kelly and think he has all the tools to be elite but if he goes down we could be in trouble. Cam and or Ty could put my mind at ease. We have got to land at least one of them

Go Vols

Reactions: 3 people
Don't get me wrong I LOVE Kelly and think he has all the tools to be elite but if he goes down we could be in trouble. Cam and or Ty could put my mind at ease. We have got to land at least one of them

Go Vols

Hopefully Butch pulls his magic.

I'm hoping for Akers...but, I'm not sure it will happen...

Kidz got SKILLZ!

Go Vols
Shouldn't be hard to sell for Butch after potentially putting two RB's in the league and plenty of PT available.

Finding a 5 star RB to replace (2) 5 star RB's is must if the Vols intend to compete with Georgia and Florida and the rest of the SEC powers......it's not a option
Get it done Butch Jones!
Go Vols

Finding a 5 star RB to replace (2) 5 star RB's is must if the Vols intend to compete with Georgia and Florida and the rest of the SEC powers......it's not a option
Get it done Butch Jones!
Go Vols

Hurd needs to do well beyond his projected numbers so that Tennessee will stay in the mix with top talent at the position. Granted if we go as far as most think that won't be any issue.

I'd love to get both those guys but it's not likely. One other thing to consider is the possibility that Kamara stays for his senior year. Hurd is as good as gone but Alvin hasn't been the featured back to date and sticking around for one more year in which he would be the highly visible featured back might do his draft status a lot of good. Oviously I'm possibly over thinking the situation but I do think him staying is a very real possibility.

I'd love to get both those guys but it's not likely. One other thing to consider is the possibility that Kamara stays for his senior year. Hurd is as good as gone but Alvin hasn't been the featured back to date and sticking around for one more year in which he would be the highly visible featured back might do his draft status a lot of good. Oviously I'm possibly over thinking the situation but I do think him staying is a very real possibility.

Methinks you may be on target here : "that Kamara stays for his senior year." It is no accident this youngster was picked to be one of the team leaders, I think he really likes Rocky Top and seeing how Cam and JRM handled their business, it would surprise me none for Kamara to stay and lead as an RB his senior season as THE man pounding the rock on The Hill.

Reactions: 2 people
Get it done Butch Jones!
Go Vols

Hurd was a composite 4 star.

Pretty sure Akers wouldn't be playing in a power system if he went to Ohio St either. Tennessee would be the best option if he's looking for immediate playing time

He would be competing for championships tho. If a team wants to run an offensive scheme that the vast majority of NFL teams don't use, then they better be winning big to draw in the top talent. Also these recruits look at stats. It's a shame that Butch doesn't let Hurd put up 150+ on the weak teams on our schedule.

Rivals had him as the second or third-best running back in his class and a 5-star until he got hurt the first game of his senior year in high school and then they dropped him to the first four star on their rankings.

Reactions: 2 people
Rivals had him as the second or third-best running back in his class and a 5-star until he got hurt the first game of his senior year in high school and then they dropped him to the first four star on their rankings.

VN Store

Back