butch has got to run Hurd up the middle

joevol320

how many more yards would Hurd have gotten if Butch ran him more between the tackle.

Butch is doing those linebackers a service by not having Hurd run north and sout.

Reactions: 2 people
how am i complaining, it's true. it's not a complaint. some people feel the need to make smart a** comments.

how many more yards would Hurd have gotten if Butch ran him more between the tackle.

Butch is doing those linebackers a service by not having Hurd run north and sout.

#1: Our O'line was patchwork at best and there was no "between" in between the tackle.

#2: Spread offenses work by spreading the field. This team has not been a power team on O, but rather a spread team. (besides, Jalen gets enough pounding as it is without taking direct shots from LBs)

#3: By having the option basis for the spread Offense, there is misdirection built into the system. Lining up to "run between the tackle" takes away the possibility of having 2 additional receivers as well as having a quarterback that can actually read the situation and pop out in the appropriate direction.

#4: I accept that there may be some error in my thinking, but that is just my opinion off the top of my head.

Reactions: 5 people
I had enough "up the middle" with Johnny Majors to last a lifetime. This offense is a lot more funner to watch.

how am i complaining, it's true. it's not a complaint. some people feel the need to make smart a** comments.

Sure it's a complaint. You are complaining that Hurd doesn't have more yards because you know how to run an offense better than Butch. And I'm not making a smart aleck comment, I'm just stating the facts.

Reactions: 3 people
#1: Our O'line was patchwork at best and there was no "between" in between the tackle.

#2: Spread offenses work by spreading the field. This team has not been a power team on O, but rather a spread team. (besides, Jalen gets enough pounding as it is without taking direct shots from LBs)

#3: By having the option basis for the spread Offense, there is misdirection built into the system. Lining up to "run between the tackle" takes away the possibility of having 2 additional receivers as well as having a quarterback that can actually read the situation and pop out in the appropriate direction.

#4: I accept that there may be some error in my thinking, but that is just my opinion off the top of my head.

We used a mixture of power runs and read options from the shotgun formation for the last few years. Both man and zone blocking are in the scheme.

I think the OP makes a fair point.

Seems like an awfully lot of carries get bounced outside for a 240 RB.

However, that may be Hurd's style, or he may be used to not having any holes to run through in the middle of the defense. Not sure.

I know Hurd seems way easier to bring down when he runs east to west. I know that's common sense but he seems easier than most backs to bring down laterally. He is dam tuff to stop when he runs north and south. The line just may not have been good enough to run between the tackles vs most teams. When the LB's blitzed up the middle and Hurd bounced it outside he has great speed to get the edge. Just seems a lot easier to bring down when he runs sideways.

I hope they line up in the I and run him between the tackles and let AK make the edge runs and spread the defense more.

It's all just opinions.

Completely untrue, If Hurd is lined up heel to toe on Dobbs then it is Inside Zone (run) they spend almost all their time in that line up. If Hurd winds up outside then he bounced it out because lineman didnt get a vertical push. It is more a testament to his vision than play calling.

Reactions: 1 person

Running North & South only works if there is a hole there and it's a lot better if we're able to take their linebackers out. You HAVE to mix the plays up and it also depends upon how strong the other team is inside. :thud:

Our O'line was patchwork at best and there was no "between" in between the tackle.

We're much better now...I'd put Robertson,Thomas and Wiesman up with the best of em.

besides, Jalen gets enough pounding as it is without taking direct shots from LBs

Already does...bet he'd prefer the pounding start at or beyond the LOS.

Lining up to "run between the tackle" takes away the possibility of having 2 additional receivers as well as having a quarterback that can actually read the situation and pop out in the appropriate direction.

Ancient Romans used to achieve that with the antiquated play action pass. :) Bet Dobbs running to the edge after the middle of the defense has been sucked in would be an intriguing sight.

Summary: The spread is here to stay...lot of advantages and ability to utilize athletes, but it's weaknesses become apparent even against lesser teams. What we saw in the bowl game was just a taste of the offset I and mixed with the spread we'll be better able to establish a lead AND finish off teams. Need a yard to get that LAST first down to seal a game (or give them those maddening last chances)? Line up in the spread and last second shift to the I and MASH IT! Or vice versa or simply run it out of either. That uncertainty for the defense is an advantage...so use it. I don't believe the OP was trying to "change the offense"...just not lock into same ole same ole.

I think a fair question may be, "How often does Dobbs go under center and handoff?". I could see Hurd getting more yards between the tackles if Dobbs is under center. I saw them toy with this at the end of last year.

Reactions: 1 person
20140120_203600+003.png

Run, Jalen! Run!

Perhaps you should call Butch and tell him all about your new scheme. Here is his direct # 800-GET-REAL. :crazy:

VN Store

Back