Does anybody know the fans that came up with Checkered Neyland?

Vfl2407

I think they were students at Carson-Newman.
My question is whether an idea like that can be trademarked. I know that they had a web site and showed Neyland in different colored sections.
I'm thinking they probably just gave the idea to the UTAD Marketing Dept.
But, if not, could UT have paid them for the trademark?

no names listed and no trademark.
Plus, the CN on Twitter name stands for Checkered Neyland, not Carson-Newman.
Don't know where I got that idea.

WHO IS BEHIND CHECKERNEYLAND.COM AND #CHECKERNEYLAND?

Tennessee fans. The first #CheckerNeyland would not have happened without the crazy passionate fan base that is #VolNation. UT fans “bring it.”

Vol fan, Spencer Barnett, created and tweeted the original concept art. His concept generated a lot of excitement among fans. Tim McLeod and Jonathan Briehl saw the image and decided to try to bring it to life against Florida through a web application and social media. They mapped out the stadium and built CheckerNeyland.com. The website provided a central location for fans to look up their seat number, and find out what color shirt to wear to the game. After significant social media momentum, the university decided to support the concept. #VolNation showed up and made it happen.

Reactions: 3 people

Ironically, I was just thinking a few days ago about the success of the checker board stadium. I was thinking it would be cool to do and orange or white "out" with an enormous "Power T" on each side. Or maybe spell out "Vols" in cursive. If each person is like a pixel on a computer screen the opportunities could be very interesting.

Ironically, I was just thinking a few days ago about the success of the checker board stadium. I was thinking it would be cool to do and orange or white "out" with an enormous "Power T" on each side. Or maybe spell out "Vols" in cursive. If each person is like a pixel on a computer screen the opportunities could be very interesting.

It would be nice to win a game when doing it as well..

Reactions: 4 people
WHO IS BEHIND CHECKERNEYLAND.COM AND #CHECKERNEYLAND?

Tennessee fans. The first #CheckerNeyland would not have happened without the crazy passionate fan base that is #VolNation. UT fans “bring it.”

Vol fan, Spencer Barnett, created and tweeted the original concept art. His concept generated a lot of excitement among fans. Tim McLeod and Jonathan Briehl saw the image and decided to try to bring it to life against Florida through a web application and social media. They mapped out the stadium and built CheckerNeyland.com. The website provided a central location for fans to look up their seat number, and find out what color shirt to wear to the game. After significant social media momentum, the university decided to support the concept. #VolNation showed up and made it happen.

Spencer Barnett is a VN member (cleVOLander) and on Twitter as well.

Reactions: 5 people

I would like to shake his hand. It looks great. Time to win some big games that are Checkered. I would like to see it against Fl and then Bama.

I have yet to get me a Smokey Gray shirt we could Checker Ga next year with Orange & Gray. That would be a good reason to get a new shirt.

Reactions: 1 person
I think they were students at Carson-Newman.
My question is whether an idea like that can be trademarked. I know that they had a web site and showed Neyland in different colored sections.
I'm thinking they probably just gave the idea to the UTAD Marketing Dept.
But, if not, could UT have paid them for the trademark?

Regardless of origin, it is the best fan thing ever. I've been around since before tv, never heard of or have seen any 100,000 plus group able to do anything like this. Go Vol Fans!!!!

It's a fantastic idea. I'm surprised the university of Tennessee hasn't tried to steal it to make money off of it. The fans are what makes Tennessee football so great! If it wasn't for them, the University wouldn't be raking in millions upon millions of dollars every year.

I think it should be done for only one game each year.Make it a cool tradition, but not over do it. Kinda like Notre Dame and the green jerseys.

Reactions: 3 people
Here...it was ME!

ALLVOL_zps639eb2d6.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

I wonder if Spencer could make some money off of this.
Trademark the idea and then get that female artist who is so great at painting the Rock to work with him.
T-shirts, paintings, murals, etc.

I wonder if Spencer could make some money off of this.
Trademark the idea and then get that female artist who is so great at painting the Rock to work with him.
T-shirts, paintings, murals, etc.

Somebody made money off my wife when she bought that picture of Neyland Checkered. Time to get the W while Checkered.

Reactions: 1 person
I think he got the idea from seeing the stripe at OU & changed it to checkerboard. Genius idea. Couldn't believe it worked so good! Hope it is an annual thing

That kind of thing has been done at bowl games back as early as the 60s and 70s. But it was done by placing colored poster boards in the right seats, and fans holding them up during the gala halftime shows.

To try it with just colored shirts? You also have to realize to do this you need 100% cooperation from fans, some of which are opposition fans. You may be overtaxing the possibilities.

I thought it started from this:

TBA.jpg

Either way, the checkerboard in Neyland is an awesome sight! Win or lose.

Reactions: 2 people
I would have bought the panorama print of the OU game...the image is beautiful. But we lost. And I refuse to put up an image of a game that we lost. Would love to checker Neyland against florida this year.

Now that's it's been mentioned, I think this is a must do, has to happen, no way around it...will be glorious.

VN Store

Back