2nd-year surge: Kahlil McKenzie

kamoshika

As well as McKenzie played at times last season — and at times he definitely played well — he wasn’t the most consistent performer. Occasionally he would keep his pads low and drive, and he rarely loses when he does that. He’s physically capable of commanding the line of scrimmage, pushing back multiple offensive linemen and being practically impossible to run at, but he’s notorious for inconsistent pad level.

...“Next time you see Kahlil, tell him to get those pads down,” Stripling has said at least a few times.

The reason for Stripling’s pleas is simple: Every defensive linemen is better when his pads are low, but McKenzie is devastating when his pads are low. A teammate last season joked that McKenzie was “a linebacker from the waste up and an elephant from the waste down,” and that’s not just a funny comment. McKenzie has an astronomically large lower body, and when his motor is running and his pads are low, he’s more or less impossible to block with one player.

Second-Year Surge: Tennessee Vols football's Kahlil McKenzie

Reactions: 4 people
I think Kahlil lives up to the hype this year.

Kid is a combo of Vince Wilfork and Haloti Ngata.

He's got generational talent. Time to live up to it.

Reactions: 4 people

You're insulting him. He makes generational players look a dime a dozen. He'll redefine the game of football. He's like a Warren Sapp/Reggie White/JJ Watt/Mean Joe Green hybrid.

As long as Butch quits being a coward, he'll transcend football and possible even existence itself this season.

Reactions: 11 people
Does anyone know what kind of improvement highly rated DTs make between yr 1 and yr 2 of them playing? ex. Nkemdiche, Mario Edwards, Vanderdoes, etc. I know stats are not really a reliable way of telling a DTs impact in a game, so more if anyone remembers following a guy similar in context to Kahlil and the way they impacted a game. Just throwing ideas around.

Really wish we could have gotten Kahlil a RS year.

Does anyone know what kind of improvement highly rated DTs make between yr 1 and yr 2 of them playing? ex. Nkemdiche, Mario Edwards, Vanderdoes, etc. I know stats are not really a reliable way of telling a DTs impact in a game, so more if anyone remembers following a guy similar in context to Kahlil and the way they impacted a game. Just throwing ideas around.

No use in giving KMac a redshirt since he'd only be on campus a Mac of 4 years anyway.

Reactions: 3 people
If Shy can get healthy we will have the best run-stuffing DLine in the country for atleast the next 2 years. Sounding like KMac's conditioning has improved a lot.

Reactions: 1 person
Come'on BIG Boy! You are NEEDED to stuff holes with that freakishly LARGE lower body of yours this year!

bg1.gif

I want KMac driving Kublanow into the UGA backfield snuffing him and Chubb on the same play on national tv. That is when I'll know KMac has arrived.

Reactions: 2 people

You throw that descriptive around way too much, but when describing KMac's talents, you may actually be correct...

...and he will live up to it.

He was healthy...just out of shape, he needed reps. He already had sat a year...two straight wasn't going to benefit his development.

You're insulting him. He makes generational players look a dime a dozen. He'll redefine the game of football. He's like a Warren Sapp/Reggie White/JJ Watt/Mean Joe Green hybrid.

As long as Butch quits being a coward, he'll transcend football and possible even existence itself this season.

Haha. Keep going Darth ..... keep on going!

If our 2 5* second year linemen can perform up to their recruiting expectations, then the sky is the limit for 2016. KMac and Richmond are key to this season and its nice to be depending on the development of such clearly gifted players!

He and Trrule will creat one and one match up at Barnett and others on the outside.... Bad news for the rest of the league

I think K-Mac will have a good year, however the Barnett and Kongbo will be the benefactors of it. He will get double teamed a lot due to his size and strength. This will free up our defensive ends and linebackers and with Shoop at the helm we will more than likely be a blitzing machine.

I cannot wait until this season gets started. Our defense will lead us to Atlanta.

I want KMac driving Kublanow into the UGA backfield snuffing him and Chubb on the same play on national tv. That is when I'll know KMac has arrived.

I want to see the PUNK Kublanow get his jockstrap ripped off and rammed down his dirty cheap-shot throat. That will make me smile! GBO! :dance2:

If everyone on the Dline lives up to their billing we will see some overwhelmed OC's. Too much of a push in the middle so dbl Kmac, oh maybe the best edge rusher in the country and an up and coming freak named Kongbo opposite of him are wreaking havoc! So dbl Kmac, leave a tight end to chip one of our DE's and the other end plus King Tut are in your backfield. That's not even mentioning Shoop sending LB's or a DB/Safety.

This D has the players and coach to be downright freak nasty! Things have to line up with recovery, staying injury free, newcomers living up to hype but if everything comes together this will be a D that will bog teams down. The right mixture of speed and strength.

I think K-Mac will have a good year, however the Barnett and Kongbo will be the benefactors of it. He will get double teamed a lot due to his size and strength. This will free up our defensive ends and linebackers and with Shoop at the helm we will more than likely be a blitzing machine.

I cannot wait until this season gets started. Our defense will lead us to Atlanta.
Stop making me giddy with optimism.

Our D's potential is extraordinarily exciting... but am I the only one who lol'ed over this? ...“a linebacker from the waste up and an elephant from the waste down.”

Our D's potential is extraordinarily exciting... but am I the only one who lol'ed over this? ...“a linebacker from the waste up and an elephant from the waste down.”

Waste mean poop? Then yeah...really funny.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

With K-MAC commanding double teams Shoop may only have to bring 1 extra blitz-er, leaving 6 defenders back in coverage. That could create a lot of turn overs.

There are a few things to watch for to see how the DTs affect a game. Does the QB roll out a lot? Good DTs can collapse the pocket forcing the QB outside. It doesn't have to be an every down thing either. If the QB is worried the pocket will collapse then he won't step up into it as much. Runs up the middle. Watch when we play weaker teams, Hurd just runs right up the middle. If your DTs are getting blocked off the ball then it is the shortest distance from snap to RB to positive yardage. If teams are running side ways on us it is a good sign they aren't getting any push in the middle.

He was healthy...just out of shape, he needed reps. He already had sat a year...two straight wasn't going to benefit his development.

There are a few things to watch for to see how the DTs affect a game. Does the QB roll out a lot? Good DTs can collapse the pocket forcing the QB outside. It doesn't have to be an every down thing either. If the QB is worried the pocket will collapse then he won't step up into it as much. Runs up the middle. Watch when we play weaker teams, Hurd just runs right up the middle. If your DTs are getting blocked off the ball then it is the shortest distance from snap to RB to positive yardage. If teams are running side ways on us it is a good sign they aren't getting any push in the middle.

Suppose you're right on that Butchna. Just not a fan of having true freshmen linemen playing. He did play pretty well for all the rust, inexperience in college, etc., and he noticeably improved throughout the year. Very excited for him.

Thanks alot for that info 08vol, I'll have to go back and take a look at plays with & w/o KMac with that in mind.

Trying to determine how big the impact he made, as well as gauge his improvement thru the year. Then I want to find comparable players and see what they did in year 2 & 3. :blink: Football can't come soon enough.

I would like to see five down lineman with two linebackers on occasions. Barnett, Phillips, McKensie, Tuttle (when healthy), Kongbo.. For a example... The old 52

I would like to see five down lineman with two linebackers on occasions. Barnett, Phillips, McKensie, Tuttle (when healthy), Kongbo.. For a example... The old 52
I like the 5-2 set up especially against UGA which means Kublanow has to handle one of our players 1 on 1. I dont see Chubb squirting through a UT 5 man front very often and if he does, its Kirkland and Reeves-Maybin at the next level, I trust that. However I defer totally to Shoop, the guy has been there and done that, I'm down with the Shoop this year.

VN Store

Back