Is Josh Dobbs the Most underrated player in the nation?

govols09

This article seems to think so.

Makes some good points. Hopefully he lives up to the hype and brings home an SEC championship this year.

Reactions: 5 people
Pretty much everyone you ask will tell you he's a decent passer and an elite runner, which is accurate, so no, on a large scale, don't think he's underrated.

A QB who completes barely 60% of his passes, most of which are horizontal screens....a running QB who averages less than 5 yards per carry.....a QB who throws for less than 100 yards in a game every 5.5 starts and struggled mightily completing any passes downfield....a QB who's lost 8 of his 22 starts while playing in a historically bad SEC East.

No, he's not the most underrated player in the country. He's on the Heisman, OBrien and Maxwell Awards lists. He's the preseason 2nd team All-SEC QB. He's usually named the primary reason why Tennessee's expectations are so high.

He's an outstanding QB/player who gets a ton of publicity and mention for accolades. How in the world can he be called underrated? Makes zero sense.

Reactions: 13 people
A QB who completes barely 60% of his passes, most of which are horizontal screens....a running QB who averages less than 5 yards per carry.....a QB who throws for less than 100 yards in a game every 5.5 starts and struggled mightily completing any passes downfield....a QB who's lost 8 of his 22 starts while playing in a historically bad SEC East.

No, he's not the most underrated player in the country. He's on the Heisman, OBrien and Maxwell Awards lists. He's the preseason 2nd team All-SEC QB. He's usually named the primary reason why Tennessee's expectations are so high.

He's an outstanding QB/player who gets a ton of publicity and mention for accolades. How in the world can he be called underrated? Makes zero sense.

Pretty much this.

Reactions: 2 people
This just in from D4H...

image.png

This article seems to think so.

Makes some good points. Hopefully he lives up to the hype and brings home an SEC championship this year.

That was an amazing highlight video. He made ever play you could think of from that video. He showed he can throw the ball.

Where's all the haters on him & say he can't throw? Well, that video showed & this coming season he will prove what he can do.

Reactions: 1 person
That was an amazing highlight video. He made ever play you could think of from that video. He showed he can throw the ball.

Where's all the haters on him & say he can't throw? Well, that video showed & this coming season he will prove what he can do.

After this post, now I see why half your username is Bologna.

We all know Josh is very talented, and an outstanding college football player. And anybody with one eye and a grain of sense takes a highlight video for what it is....especially if you've seen every single snap of football a kid has ever played.

Josh has great ability, but it simply has not translated to consistent outcomes throwing the football. Everybody knows this....why some refuse to admit and acknowledge it is beyond me.

Also, this thread is about Josh being the most underrated player in the country....how in the world can that be possible when he's on the Heisman watch list?

Last edited:

We all know Josh is very talented, and an outstanding college football player. And anybody with one eye and a grain of sense takes a highlight video for what it is....especially if you've seen every single snap of football a kid has ever played.

Josh has great ability, but it simply has not translated to consistent outcomes throwing the football. Everybody knows this....why some refuse to admit and acknowledge it is beyond me.

I have said he's not there yet with Watson. Why do you keep attacking my post when I'm giving my opinion but agreeing with you that Dobbs IS NOT an overall Watson yet!

I have said he's not there yet with Watson. Why do you keep attacking my post when I'm giving my opinion but agreeing with you that Dobbs IS NOT an overall Watson yet!

You're the one going at all the "haters" who have offered criticism of Dobbs' ability to consistently throw the ball with accuracy. All I did was respond in kind. And again, a highlight film tells only a fraction of the story.

Also, this thread is about Josh being the most underrated player in the country....how in the world can that be possible when he's on the Heisman watch list?

Why do you try and bring reason to VN.........how's that been working out for you?

That's because he's being held back by Butch Jones.

We've only let Dobbs loose in 2 games. 2014 South Carolina and 2015 Georgia. Those are the only games in his last 18 starts in which we fell behind by 14+ points. With such a deficit, Butch had no choice but to put the game into Dobbs hands. Something Dabo and Clemson do in every game with Deshaun Watson.

So what did Dobbs do when we fell behind by 2+ TDs? He responded with 2 of the best games in SEC history. 300+ yards passing. 100+ yards rushing. 4 TDs vs South Carolina. 5 TDs vs Georgia. And 2 incredible come from behind victories.

Dobbs can do that every week if Butch would let him. Instead Butch loves to be conservative and instead ride the game out just running the ball with our RBs.

VN Store

Back