Live chat with Mike Griffith.

I like that he mentioned you have to luck on your side to win a natty. That's the truth. Thing about 98. How many weird plays and unthinkable things happened that season that went out way? Every team has to have it. Hopefully we have that same type of magic happen for us this year. It's been too long.

I like that he mentioned you have to luck on your side to win a natty. That's the truth. Thing about 98. How many weird plays and unthinkable things happened that season that went out way? Every team has to have it. Hopefully we have that same type of magic happen for us this year. It's been too long.

Most every team in modernity that wins the NC has at least one game during their season which they lose or come close to losing and the ball just bounces their way. So yes, I do think you need some luck at least with player health and things like that where the stars align and allow you to take the championship.

Reactions: 1 person
I've been following Mike G. for a while now.

He's solid.

Has trouble on camera and is not into flash with bold predictions and BS so he'll not be a TV guy.

I'd like to see him do more of these. Vol fans are lucky to have him and I'll throw out a shout to Brad Shepard from bleacher report too. You're missing out if you're not following these two guys.

Last edited:
This was a nice watch.

1. Predicts Barnett will get the additional 12, or 13 actually -- agreed / Got me thinking maybe Barnett will be even more beastly against so many 1st year SEC qb's (that is, most of his current sacks came against SEC teams / and 2 games against OU who, had more-experienced qbs than what he'll face overall this year, presumably = very doable).
2. Says Dobbs doesn't need to change much / wouldn't want to put too much pressure on Dobbs -- agreed, but someone4H is predicting Dobbs goes from 2300 to 3500 total passing this year, which imo, is putting too much pressure/expecting too much change over only 2 additional games (unless person means that it's all on the WR's and playcalls as being the main reason for only 2300 last year).

I've been following Mike G. for a while now.

He's solid.

Has trouble on camera and is not into flash with bold predictions and BS so he'll not be a TV guy.

I'd like to see him do more of these. Vol fans are lucky to have him and I'll throw out a shout to Brad Shepard from bleacher report too. You're missing out if you're not following these two guys.

If he's not into flash, you have my curiosity. Going to give this a listen.

1998 = 4 Miracles according to Pope John Paul. He knew his football.

Reactions: 2 people
Most every team in modernity that wins the NC has at least one game during their season which they lose or come close to losing and the ball just bounces their way. So yes, I do think you need some luck at least with player health and things like that where the stars align and allow you to take the championship.

Alabama always seems to drop one in the first half of the season and recover nicely. I guess it depends on the team and the group of guys. I think this playoff system has done a lot to keep teams in the hunt with one loss. If you're in the SEC especially, you lose one game yet win your conference there's a 99% chance you're in. At some point the ball has to bounce our way, I realize you make your own breaks a lot of the time though. This is going to be an exciting season and I'm going to soak it all in. Its been too long, as I said before.

I liked Mike's explanation of why Peyton didn't win the Heisman, that makes more sense than most explanations I've heard.

Is this the same Mike Griffith that worked for KNS?
I can not believe anybody would give him the time of day.

He poked at the Vols while we were down and mocked any positive outlook for clicks.

Now that we are on rise he wants to capitalize on opportunity for clicks.

He is just more subtle about how he does it, but he is similar to John Adams imo.

Last edited:

He poked at the Vols while we were down and mocked any positive outlook for clicks.

He is just more subtle about how he does it, but he is similar to John Adams imo.

John Adams? :eek:lol:

And was he wrong?

You guys make no sense. You get mad at people of discounting Tennessee in the past when there was no reason to have a positive outlook.

Now you're mad at people for saying Tennessee will be good saying they're trying to jinx the team.

Nothing will satisfy some of you.

And was he wrong?

You guys make no sense. You get mad at people of discounting Tennessee in the past when there was no reason to have a positive outlook.

Now you're mad at people for saying Tennessee will be good saying they're trying to jinx the team.

Nothing will satisfy some of you.

At time there was reason for some optimism. The team had some close loses and good offense returning.

Also just because he may have been right, does not mean he had to mock anyone who wanted to see any light at end of tunnel. He was like John Adams in that he enjoyed it. He is different because I think he is more of an opportunist than John. He is now trying to use his old connections to have a story, one he knows will get a lot of reactions from our passionate fan base.

Oh, and by the way since you admitted you are a band wagon fan, I knew you would not understand. :glare:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
At time there was reason for some optimism. The team had some close loses and good offense returning.

Also just because he may have been right, does not mean he had to mock anyone who wanted to see any light at end of tunnel. He was like John Adams in that he enjoyed it. He is different because I think he is more of an opportunist than John. He is now trying to use his old connections to have a story, one he knows will get a lot of reactions from our passionate fan base.

Oh, and by the way since you admitted you are a band wagon fan, I you would not understand. :glare:

Wait a minute, Griffith has been gone for 4 years, he missed Dooley's last season. So I'm curious where all this "optimism" you're referring to is coming from?

He's back to writing about UT? Hopefully no one is desperate enough to give him clicks

VN Store

Back