Vol throwback uni to honor one of the NC teams?

BruisedOrange

A&M is going to have another throwback uni this season to honor one of their championship teams.
Texas A&M to wear a throwback uniform this season

I like the stitched-leather and battered numeral graphics on the helmets. Not sure we have anything that eye-catching (meaning, TV-friendly) to call upon from our history, but I'd like to hear from our VFL historians on that. :question:

And I'm sure some of our uni-fashionistas will weigh in. :gun:

Reactions: 1 person
We did a throw back uni in the opener about 10 years ago (Angie/Schaffer era?) that was flat out hideous. No more throw backs imo. I'd rather look forward than re-live the past.

Reactions: 3 people
We did a throw back uni in the opener about 10 years ago (Angie/Schaffer era?) that was flat out hideous. No more throw backs imo. I'd rather look forward than re-live the past.

That was the first game of the season, the home opener in 2004 against UNLV. It was a big win for my first ever UT game, which I saw with my family after they helped me move for my freshman year. I have good memories attached to those uniforms.

Reactions: 2 people
Less "Gimmicks" for "Attention"...

MORE Wins! For ATTENTION!!!

Last edited:
Why do people always say this? These two things are not related.

Cause THIS...

A21BC5FA-544E-463C-A182-BE25F4E10AF5_zpsrhnmouvv.jpg

Less "Gimmicks" for "Attention"...

MORE Wins! For ATTENTION!!!

1. It's one of our jerseys... it's not like we're creating a pink jersey for attention. In other words, it's not a gimmick

2. Wearing a certain jersey does not make us win or lose a game

3. We all want to win

Reactions: 5 people
Players like new swag. A new jersey usually is a welcome thing in the player meeting room. We saw how the SG introduction went. It doesn't bother me. I love tradition, but different isn't always bad. Recruits seem to like seeing things shook up now and then as well.

Good for recruiting

Good for Jersey sales

That's why you'd do it. In America, the answer to "why is X doing Xx". The answer is always "because they think it'll be profitable."

I saw people wearing those ugly throwback jerseys (from Ainge era) a couple years after that game

I'd go with a version of the 1938 black

Attachments

• d73c83574e4ffb087e3ad1def8ff058b.jpg
    d73c83574e4ffb087e3ad1def8ff058b.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 711
Reactions: 6 people
That was the first game of the season, the home opener in 2004 against UNLV. It was a big win for my first ever UT game, which I saw with my family after they helped me move for my freshman year. I have good memories attached to those uniforms.

Also big fan of those 👍👍👍

I actually thought those were pretty cool. Each their own I guess.

Reactions: 7 people

Those were UT's road uniforms from 1971-1973. First official road uniforms when the NCAA mandated road teams wear white jersies in 1971. Although Tennessee had worn White sporatically in it's past (against Texas in the Cotton Bowl in 1969 and 1953 for obvious reasons) this was Tennessee's first official road uniform.

I liked them in 2004 and Ainge and Company wore them and I liked them in the 1970's when Condredge Holloway and Haskel Stanback wore them. JMHO, TIFWIW.

Speaking of throwback, I wish that Tennessee and Alabama would start wearing their home uniforms when they play each other, like USC and UCLA do and like Georgia and Florida have done in recent years. They did it up until 1971. Something about seeing that Crimson and Orange in early fall on the field.

IIRC, Kiffin tried to get Bama to agree to do this in our 2009 game with them, but Bama didn't want to go along with it. They were the home team and they had to approve it for it to happen.

Cause THIS...

A21BC5FA-544E-463C-A182-BE25F4E10AF5_zpsrhnmouvv.jpg

Someone makes a meme and it alters the way you live your life? sad.

The checkerboard crowd is one of the greatest things we have pulled off as fans. We will continue to do it because it is awesome and our fans are awesome. Of course other teams make memes about it. They wish they had it.

Reactions: 4 people
i also dig the white throwbacks we wore in 2004. they had the black outlines around the numbers and all and were cool.

We need to do a replica of the 1939 uniforms with the leather helmets. That was the last NCAA team to go unscored on during the regular season.

VN Store

Back