Skeptical CBS: TN must back up Hype

Neyland Law Vol

Long article at CBS.com analyzing TN and whether we will be "back" after 2016.

Here are a few quotes:

The SEC eventually needs Tennessee to be elite again. In the short term, Tennessee enters 2016 as the trendy media pick to win the SEC East. Even Saban has labeled the Vols the pick to win the SEC East because Joshua Dobbs returns as their experienced quarterback.

But the Vols haven't beaten Florida since 2004, even though the Gators aren't always the better team. There's some kind of mental block holding back Tennessee against Florida. Their Sept. 24 meeting in Knoxville is huge for the Vols,

The SEC East is such a coin flip that Tennessee is somehow considered by many people to be the clear favorite even though Jones has a 10-14 SEC record. The 10 SEC teams Jones beat had a combined conference mark of 22-58. Only two of the wins -- Georgia in 2015 and South Carolina in 2013 -- came against teams that finished with a winning SEC record.

But this stretch is particularly frustrating for Vols fans. Tennessee's 13 SEC titles are the second most all-time, but the Vols' 17-year drought without one is their longest ever. Alabama, a bitter rival of Tennessee's, has never gone through an SEC title drought like this. Even worse for the Vols, they join Kentucky and Vanderbilt as the only SEC East teams without a championship trip to Atlanta since 2007.

That brings us to 2016, where a junior college transfer is the boldest talker at Tennessee. Kongbo's remarks deserve some context. He was in part responding to Florida cornerback Jalen Tabor's guarantee that the Gators would extend their winning streak over Tennessee to 12 games.

"I just kind of laughed at it because I know we're going to beat Florida," Kongbo told Rockytopinsider.com in April. "I know we're going to beat Alabama. We're going to beat all those teams. So I'll say right now, we're going to beat every team we play next year."

Maybe Tennessee needs some of that swagger. But talk is just noise and won't mean anything against Florida and Georgia. We've seen this script before in Knoxville.

On the day Lane Kiffin was hired in 2009, he promised to be "singing Rocky Top all night long after we beat Florida next year." The Gators won and Kiffin left Tennessee after one season.

Before the 2012 season, Dooley said this at SEC Media Days: "It's been a tough four years at Tennessee and I know the SEC has enjoyed taking advantage of our tough times. But you're not going to have Tennessee to kick around anymore." The Vols promptly went 1-7 in the SEC, got blown out by Vanderbilt, and Dooley got fired.

In a 2016 season filled with high expectations, the Vols will have to back up their talk. Tell us, if you must. But for once, show us before we can believe in you.

Basically CBS says put up or shut up to the Vols.

Full article here.

Tennessee tries to make this the year it backs up its talk and wins the SEC East - CBSSports.com

Reactions: 3 people
They aren't saying anything groundbreaking. This has been my stance since last year, win some important games on a national stage and then we can all hop on the hype train. Until then we are just a loaded team with an 0-0 record heading into the 2016 season.

Reactions: 3 people
Reactions: 4 people
Butch has beaten only 2 SEC teams with winning records in 3 years......wow, that's sobering and should ease people's fear about him leaving for another gig.

Reactions: 7 people
I am to old a bunny to buy completely into the hype. Just too many disappointments over the years. It seems like we are stacked this year but I want to see it happen. Thoughtfully uncertain would be my attitude.

That being said, I've sure been running my mouth down here about Oct 8.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch has beaten only 2 SEC teams with winning records in 3 years......wow, that's sobering and should ease people's fear about him leaving for another gig.

clarification: only 2 SEC teams that ended the year with winning records in SEC play (not over all winning records).

Reactions: 2 people

clarification: only 2 SEC teams that ended the year with winning records in SEC play (not over all winning records).

Pretty much both are right, though.

If we're going by just regular season, his teams would have just beaten 2 SEC teams with overall winning records: South Carolina in 2013 (10-2) and Georgia in 2015 (9-3) (South Carolina finished the 2014 regular season with a record of 6-6).

If records following bowl games are included in this standard, it jumps up to 3 SEC teams with overall winning records: 2013 South Carolina (11-2), 2014 South Carolina (7-6), and 2015 Georgia (10-3).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Even the most fervent around here...

Are secretly on a "wait and see"...for results...accomplishments...(dare I say it)...WINS!

There is EVERY reason for optimism to be high...but,

RESULTS MATTER!

So yet another media outlet is hedging their bets by not crowning Vols SEC East winners before the season has even begun. Like all the others, CBS is afraid of losing face should UT fail to live up to expectations. There's nothing new here.

It's the media that should shut up. They're creating all the hype, then turning around and questioning whether UT deserves it. Meanwhile, UT players and coaches are going about their day, working out, studying and getting ready for the season. I like the quiet confidence and maturity Team 120 is showing.

Reactions: 6 people
It's the media that should shut up. They're creating all the hype, then turning around and questioning whether UT deserves it. Meanwhile, UT players and coaches are going about their day, working out, studying and getting ready for the season. I like the quiet confidence and maturity Team 120 is showing.

This is about as accurate as it gets IMO. The media is to blame for the hype.

Hopefully this will be the year that Butch breaks the string of o' fer Verne and Gary in the Florida game (2006-present). Send the cranky old muppet look-a-likes to pasture with a Vol victory.

It is kind of funny with all the trash talk that goes on in college football.
We have one player, say one thing with confidence and we get an entire article written about us from a major organization.

Hard to say Tennessee needs to put up or shut up if they're not the ones talking.

Hopefully this will be the year that Butch breaks the string of o' fer Verne and Gary in the Florida game (2006-present). Send the cranky old muppet look-a-likes to pasture with a Vol victory.

200.gif

We broke that curse last year! Verne and Gary called the UGA game last year.

If you are speaking of just the UF game, that streak includes all networks (Sec network, CBS and ESPN) since our last win in 2004.

:clapping:

I think this sums it up nicely. The media has built UT up, now they are ready to pounce to bring us back down the moment we suffer our first loss.

Hopefully Butch has the team hungry despite the hype.

I agree with most posters that the media is to blame for the hype. I just want the season to start because I am so tired of listening to the media putting all these lofty expectations on us and then writing slam pieces against us because we failed to meet their expectations.

Little do they know, we have pretty much been performing at the exact level Butch promised every year and the local media who follows the team has predicted. Big outlets and other fan bases like to act as if we are the East favorite year-in and year-out, when in reality we haven't been picked higher than 2nd in a decade.

VN Store

Back