Why I'm so confident...

ArmyVol697

I refuse to say, "we're back" until a we beat one of our main two rivals. As soon as we do, I'll shout it from the roof top! But, I'm very optimistic and confident that Alabama and Florida can both be wins for us this year.

Think about this: over the last 7 quarters of play against Alabama, we out scored them 34 to 33. I also believe had Dobbs started the game in 2014, that we would have won. Florida in 2014 too for that matter. I thought after seeing him in the Spring game in 2014, he should have been our guy. No red shirt. That's a debate.

Against Florida, we have lost by 1 pt in each of the last two games. Now, defense is deeper and more experienced and headed by a much better DC and our coach will not make the mistake of not going for two ever again. Defense wins for us in 2016. But overall, team confidence and chemistry seems at an all time high. Talent, character, and pride everywhere.

We get both, Alabama and Florida, games at home, and while some say it's a negative they aren't spaced out, I think it's a good thing. It prevents us from getting a rest/relax mentality. We should be playing at such a high caliber by time we host Alabama, I think the schedule helps us and we will be ready.

I'm more concerned about Ga than either Florida or Alabama. I can see 11-1 or 10-2. 10-2 may be enough to keep us out of Atlanta. However, I would be totally fine with that if we beat Alabama and Florida in the same year. Hell, we beat both them teams and go 8-4, I'm still ok. Disappointed but relieved as well.

For all those of you who share in my confidence, what other factors do you see to add to this?

Reactions: 2 people
beating UF and Alabama and going 8-4 is not ok with me - it means 4 losses to inferior teams

Reactions: 6 people
At this point beating Florida will not be based on Physicality. It all comes down to Mentality and heart. If we can get past it being "Florida" and not let that sit in our minds we will bill alright. If we beat them the floodgates open and everyone is in for an ass whippin

Reactions: 5 people
Another reason I'm so confident is the work ethic I've seen this off season. The videos of Hurd working out and you gotta know the others are trying to follow his lead. This is gong to be an amazing year.

anxiously excited. i think this team can be really really good. i am confident that this team will be able to compete toe to toe w/whoever they play.

my lack of confidence only comes from the fact that we were able to do that last year too, only to find ways to lose, save the GA and SC game, where we found ways to win.

i too want to see it happen against FL and/or Bama. i think that beating FL will give this team the boost in the arm they need, especially headed to GA the next week. if we beat GA and FL...........look out. this team's confidence would be THRU THE ROOF.

we beat UGA and FL and it's going to be hard to keep us out of ATL....unless we stub our toes after the Bama game.

but i digress...it's exciting to think about...it's exciting that it's at least a possibility given the roster we're gonna field. it's far from a sure thing.

Not being able to red shirt Dobbs in 2014 was a hiccup to CBJ time table. His plan all along was for 2016 and the back it up with a 5th year senior Josh Dobbs in 2017.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person
At this point beating Florida will not be based on Physicality. It all comes down to Mentality and heart. If we can get past it being "Florida" and not let that sit in our minds we will bill alright. If we beat them the floodgates open and everyone is in for an ass whippin

This is a mental issue for the fans. Not the players.

We've had our butts kicked by Florida the last 11 years because they've typically had much better players.

Last year was the closest we've been in terms of talent since the Ron Zook days and even with that said they had 7 players drafted while we had NONE.

Reactions: 7 people
That's a major beef I have with CBJ, trying to save JD for 2017, and not going with what would have gotten us more wins.

I understand why he did it , so I'm ok with it.

Go Vols!

Not being able to red shirt Dobbs in 2014 was a hiccup to CBJ time table. His plan all along was for 2016 and the back it up with a 5th year senior Josh Dobbs in 2017.

Go Vols!

I think we'll be fine either way. We've got a nice stable of backups and I'm confident that one will come in and fill Dobbs shoes nicely. Maybe not running the ball, but the passing game will improve. Win a NC this year and win 10+ next year and I think everyone will be very happy with that outcome.

I think we'll be fine either way. We've got a nice stable of backups and I'm confident that one will come in and fill Dobbs shoes nicely. Maybe not running the ball, but the passing game will improve. Win a NC this year and win 10+ next year and I think everyone will be very happy with that outcome.

Your right.

Go Vols!

Beating UF will come down to Dobbs trusting his receivers and himself enough to put the ball into tight windows. They gave us man coverage so many times last year and we did nothing with it. UF is going to be good on defense, they will put and kick away from Sutton and Berry, they will talk trash to the players and try to get in their heads. They will use misdirection and our D trying to make big hits instead of just covering their area. They will go 4 & 5 wide to force us to use back ups in coverage. I think we have a better chance of beating them next year than this year

Beating UF will come down to Dobbs trusting his receivers and himself enough to put the ball into tight windows. They gave us man coverage so many times last year and we did nothing with it. UF is going to be good on defense, they will put and kick away from Sutton and Berry, they will talk trash to the players and try to get in their heads. They will use misdirection and our D trying to make big hits instead of just covering their area. They will go 4 & 5 wide to force us to use back ups in coverage. I think we have a better chance of beating them next year than this year

You right.

They are on the decline so next year our chances will be even better.

Go Vols!

I refuse to say, "we're back" until a we beat one of our main two rivals. As soon as we do, I'll shout it from the roof top! But, I'm very optimistic and confident that Alabama and Florida can both be wins for us this year.

Think about this: over the last 7 quarters of play against Alabama, we out scored them 34 to 33. I also believe had Dobbs started the game in 2014, that we would have won. Florida in 2014 too for that matter. I thought after seeing him in the Spring game in 2014, he should have been our guy. No red shirt. That's a debate.

Against Florida, we have lost by 1 pt in each of the last two games. Now, defense is deeper and more experienced and headed by a much better DC and our coach will not make the mistake of not going for two ever again. Defense wins for us in 2016. But overall, team confidence and chemistry seems at an all time high. Talent, character, and pride everywhere.

We get both, Alabama and Florida, games at home, and while some say it's a negative they aren't spaced out, I think it's a good thing. It prevents us from getting a rest/relax mentality. We should be playing at such a high caliber by time we host Alabama, I think the schedule helps us and we will be ready.

I'm more concerned about Ga than either Florida or Alabama. I can see 11-1 or 10-2. 10-2 may be enough to keep us out of Atlanta. However, I would be totally fine with that if we beat Alabama and Florida in the same year. Hell, we beat both them teams and go 8-4, I'm still ok. Disappointed but relieved as well.

For all those of you who share in my confidence, what other factors do you see to add to this?

Funny, was just having this conversation with my POP. When you go through our roster, there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't go 10-2 at the worst other than us not playing up to our capabilities. We return Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, almost all of our O-line, our top receivers (North just didn't work out), Barnette, Wolfe, Reeves-Maybin, Kirkland, Sutton, Kelly, Berry, Martin and Gaulden is finally healthy along with BOTH of our kickers, a slew of work horses like Vereen, and highly touted recruits that haven't had a chance to prove themselves yet. On top of all that we have Shoop running our D... there is just no excuse. I will say this, if our passing game does not improve, Azzanni needs to go, but I am happy he has had so many years to prove himself and he needed every one of them. Biggest loss that COULD affect us is Kerbyson, but judging by how well we developed the rest of our line, I believe we will be OK there.

I called the number of wins each year so far and this year I call 10-2 with an outside chance to win the SEC Championship. NC isn't a ridiculous projection if we win the SEC and this is the year I have felt we would have the greatest chance other than 2 years from now, which quite possibly could be a show as well.

GO VOLS!!!

Have a better chance of beating them next year? No offense, but it didn't get much better than last year. We let em off the hook again. Every sane person that's been paying attention knows we should be going for a 3 game winning streak. There is no better chance than THIS year, no more next year crap.

Reactions: 5 people

We're gonna run then outta Neyland.

Just remember this stat. Florida has had 15 players drafted the last 2 years. We've had ZERO.

And yet they've beat us by a combined 2 points the last 2 years.

If our pups could play them to a draw the last 2 years while they fielded elite NFL caliber juniors and seniors, I'm sure our now veteran team can handle what should be the least talented Florida team since Ron Zook.

We beat Florida by 21+ points.

LOL, ya THINK?

We're gonna run then outta Neyland.

Just remember this stat. Florida has had 15 players drafted the last 2 years. We've had ZERO.

And yet they've beat us by a combined 2 points the last 2 years.

If our pups could play them to a draw the last 2 years while they fielded elite NFL caliber juniors and seniors, I'm sure our now veteran team can handle what should be the least talented Florida team since Ron Zook.

We beat Florida by 21+ points.
ron zook's 1st trip to The Hill....a W.....just sayin.

You right.

They are on the decline so next year our chances will be even better.

Go Vols!

We'll be worse next year as well.

I really don't get the idea some have here that we'll be better in 2017.

2016 is the best shot we might EVER have to win it all.

We'll be losing guys like Hurd, Kamara, Sutton, Barnett, and JRM after this year. Even if you don't think Dobbs is as good as I do, that's a lot of elite guys we'll be losing that will go down as among the best in program history.

This idea that we're gonna be better in 2017 is comical. Especially after a less than stellar recruiting class in 2016.

I think Georgia will be pegged as the early favorite to win the east in 2017.

Go Vols!

So, did CBJ refer to his chart or analytics when his made up his plan? Because it was obviously the wrong decision to make when you look at the talent level of Worley and Peterman vs Dobbs.

Have a better chance of beating them next year? No offense, but it didn't get much better than last year. We let em off the hook again. Every sane person that's been paying attention knows we should be going for a 3 game winning streak. There is no better chance than THIS year, no more next year crap.

Agreed.

This next year crap needs to stop. The 2016 Vols are the most talented and experienced team we've had since 1999.

To treat this year as a throwaway for "next year" is asinine. This is LIKELY the best opportunity this program will have in the near future to win a SEC and national title. It's definitely the best chance we've had in the last 15 years.

We better not waste it. Cause next year we'll be WORSE. We'll lose a lot of talent and experience.

Last edited:
So, did CBJ refer to his chart or analytics when his made up his plan? Because it was obviously the wrong decision to make when you look at the talent level of Worley and Peterman vs Dobbs.

that's true, but i think there was a bigger picture on that decision....a) we weren't going to be that good in 2013 or 2014, we weren't great on the LOS on either side of the ball.

b) there wasn't another QB past Josh Dobbs at that point. there was no QD, or JG or SJ in the fold...the future of the position was very much a question mark, so i definitely think he was hedging his bets for 2 more years of Dobbs (16 and 17) just in case we didn't sign a QB of the future.

it didn't work out that way, and hindsight being what it is, it's worked out.

VN Store

Back