Are Hurd and Kamara pretty much guaranteed gone after this year?

PackersVols91

I feel like that has been the common thought. This coming draft class is absolutely loaded at RB with Chubb, Fournette, Dalvin Cook, and Christian McCaffrey among others. Is there any chance that Kamara or Hurd return for their senior years?

snowballs-chance-in-hell.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
OP, I would lean towards yes but if I had to choose one that would be most likely to stay it would be Hurd.

Unfortunately, I would say yes.

The NFL mentality regarding RBs has become very much a commodities approach. They are disposable.

The NFL run game is so dependent upon raw talent while being so abusive that RBs are among the lowest positions in the league in terms of average career span.

If either of the two are likely to be drafted high enough to sign a strong deal, which they almost certainly will be, they have to go. Another year of getting beaten on in the SEC just shortens their window of opportunity to earn.

Years ago, I would have never advocated such a thing, but these days it just is the right thing for them to do.

Reactions: 8 people
I hope they both have great years and are able to both go get paid in 2017. With the way the RB position is in the NFL now, there's no point in getting hit for free.

Reactions: 2 people
They are gone. I mean, hell, Kamara almost went this year with a limited amount of touches compared to other backs. Unfortunately, it's now more of a surprise if a high-caliber junior player stays in school instead of leaving for the draft. It's just the nature of the sport. Most want to leave and get paid before risking injury. Finishing out schooling or having another shot at a national title are secondary to the NFL.

Now, I fully believe players these days still want to win a title, don't get me wrong. But if the NFL is placed in front of you, regardless of how good your chances are of making the championship game the following year, 90% of the time he will choose the money.

Last edited:
Our 1 hope to keep them is that it'll be a draft full of RBs.

This. It's a very slim chance, but a chance nonetheless. If Hurd feels like the competition with Cook, Fournette, Chubb, Perine, and a plethora of others could hurt his draft stock he might stay an extra year.

Doubt it happens, but it's the only reason he would stay. Granted, Hurd is potentially a better prospect because of his size but every team's style for their RB is different. Just because Hurd might be the better player doesn't mean he is the RB they would choose.

Hurd will be gone and I don't blame him. I could see Kamara possibly staying if he thought his stock could really rise, but I expect he will go too.

Hurd probably won't stay regardless of what happens this season. Kamara is definitely gone.

They both need to go. It will be good for them to get paid and it will be good for us to have ESPN talk about how RBs from UT are getting drafted. We need some proof to go to these top RB recruits and say "see, even in a 2 back system you can get to the NFL through Butch's read option system"

I wouldn't want them to stay. They both have chance to have a good payday so should not risk it by coming back. They will have already served us good by 2016 end and will shine #VFL banner in NFL from here on.

If anything Kamara will return because he will be #1 back in the backfield for the 1st time and strong year for runningbacks. Hurd got what the NFL is looking for... size and speed. Kamara will build his stock at UT in 2017 so he can get in rounds 1-2.

If anything Kamara will return because he will be #1 back in the backfield for the 1st time and strong year for runningbacks. Hurd got what the NFL is looking for... size and speed. Kamara will build his stock at UT in 2017 so he can get in rounds 1-2.

Kamara is gone. He just is. If he was seriously debating leaving after last year with his limited touches, then another year of tape and growth is more than enough to encourage him to go.

I don't think he wants to be a student much longer.

Yeah. Being #1 in UT's backfield doesn't compensate for 2nd or 3rd round $$$ in the NFL. The average back lasts about 5 years. They have to make their money while they can. The only way either stays is to increase their value enough from Jr year to Sr year to make up the difference. They need to get good information in their pre draft analysis. 5th round money this year versus 1st round money the next is alot of guaranteed money.

Lots will be gone, Jrs that is.. Its what makes this recruiting class and keeping attrition down SO Important..

VN Store

Back