Hurd squats 255 - with one leg

Saw Volblood on Twitter calling him Hurdcules. Perfect nickname.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I'm no S&C Coach. But that's a dangerous lift.

If he hits failure on either leg there is no way to get out from under the weight, it'll just crash on the back of his leg. Sure, some spotters on the side could catch it, but it's still risky.

I guess so is football. WTH....what do I know. Lol

Reactions: 9 people
Would someone tell him to stop that SH#T before he hurts himself!! :banghead2:

Pretty sick though! :dance2: BUT STOP IT!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

If he hits failure on either leg there is no way to get out from under the weight, it'll just crash on the back of his leg. Sure, some spotters on the side could catch it, but it's still risky.

My 1st thought as well. Very dangerous to not have a steady base when doing any sort of power lift.

"I can squat 500, 250 in one leg just makes sense". Then that leg you're balancing on the knee twinges and dislocates. Just ain't worth it. Stick to basic squats on two feet. Much safer and just as beneficial.

Also known as a lunge. Very very impressve! From the headline you would have thought he maxed it, but that is working weight! Awesome!!!

It's not dangerous at all. Split squats are common - it's used as a replacement for other traditional squatting forms as you can reduce the weight (since you're only engaging a portion of your glutes, hamstrings, all that) as your distribution is more on one side rather than both sides. The spotting for the exercise is important for safety, but the weight itself is being held by his back erectors, and since he's holding up much less weight than he would with other squats, I'm sure he's got it under control. His stabilizing muscles are definitely getting a workout though. Worst that might happen is that he'd tip to one side and drop the weight. But it won't happen. That's Jalen Hurd. He can lift.

Reactions: 2 people
That's utterly ridiculous. That kid is some serious kinda strong. Hope he's working as much on his speed and agility. Hurd is a freak.

It's not dangerous at all. Split squats are common - it's used as a replacement for other traditional squatting forms as you can reduce the weight (since you're only engaging a portion of your glutes, hamstrings, all that) as your distribution is more on one side rather than both sides. The spotting for the exercise is important for safety, but the weight itself is being held by his back erectors, and since he's holding up much less weight than he would with other squats, I'm sure he's got it under control. His stabilizing muscles are definitely getting a workout though. Worst that might happen is that he'd tip to one side and drop the weight. But it won't happen. That's Jalen Hurd. He can lift.

Totally agree. Back in my athletic days if I couldn't get the weight up I would just drop to one knee and sit there long enough for the spotters to get the weight off. No big deal.

Would someone tell him to stop that SH#T before he hurts himself!! :banghead2:

Pretty sick though! :dance2: BUT STOP IT!!!

Yeah I agree - if Darren McFadden breaks his elbow picking up a cell phone just think what could go wrong with lifting weights with one leg - be safe JH

This all day. That is a injury waiting to happen.

Side note: Hurd has always reminded me of somebody famous and I just figured it out...

Zack de la Rocha

Would like to see some of that attitude this year.... "Anger is a gift."

Can't believe that nobody noticed that these lifts are not normal for RBs. These are elite TE #s. Plus, he's working with Croom. It's a lock folks.

I understand what a split squat is and do them regularly. I don't however prop my back foot up on something that I would be completely unable to get off should I reach failure.

The same movement can be achieved other ways. It's not a smart lift.

I got tired just watching him do it over and over and over, and the 10th time is exactly like the 1st. He never reaches muscle failure.

Side note: Hurd has always reminded me of somebody famous and I just figured it out...

Zack de la Rocha

Would like to see some of that attitude this year.... "Anger is a gift."

I hope he Rages against the SEC and doesn't leave everyone waiting 15 years for something like Zack

That's a standard workout. That's safer than running sprints. It's a controlled environment. Sprinting, u can tear a hamstring pop an Achilles or tear something. I say that to say this, this is how your suppose to train.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back