Preston Williams - 1000 yard receiver in 2016

Kristy*

Omaha
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/predicting-the-secs-1000-yard-receivers-in-2016

"Preston Williams, Tennessee

Although he only had seven receptions for 158 yards and two touchdowns during his freshman season, Williams has the ability to be one of the best wide receivers in the SEC, and the Vols are expecting a big step forward in production for the 6-foot-4, 209-pound underclassman.

With Joshua Dobbs back at quarterback and a running game which should be among the best in the SEC, there should be plenty of opportunities for Williams to take advantage of 1-on-1 situations and become a steady playmaker for the Tennessee offense."

Reactions: 9 people
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/predicting-the-secs-1000-yard-receivers-in-2016

"Preston Williams, Tennessee

Although he only had seven receptions for 158 yards and two touchdowns during his freshman season, Williams has the ability to be one of the best wide receivers in the SEC, and the Vols are expecting a big step forward in production for the 6-foot-4, 209-pound underclassman.

With Joshua Dobbs back at quarterback and a running game which should be among the best in the SEC, there should be plenty of opportunities for Williams to take advantage of 1-on-1 situations and become a steady playmaker for the Tennessee offense."

If any receiver hits 1,000 yards it's going to be him. He has the physical tools of Malone and the heart and work ethic of Smith. Only concern I have is he'll draw the opposing team's top corner and Dobbs almost never throws to a covered receiver.

In this offense, with the emphasis on running and given our past struggles throwing the ball, I think I'd be thrilled with 40-45 catches for 600-650 yards.

Reactions: 5 people
In this offense, with the emphasis on running and given our past struggles throwing the ball, I think I'd be thrilled with 40-45 catches for 600-650 yards.

Agreed. Bet we only see 3-4 passes of 20+ yards thrown per game.

Yep. Butch will not be throwing the ball any more than he did last year. In fact, it will likely be less.

Agreed. Our receivers will undoubtedly be needed and they will certainly be improved.

With the Vols running game, will any receiver ever get close to 1000yds receiving in 2016, probably not, but Williams sure needs a great year for the Vols to win the SEC
If the Vols improve their passing game just a little bit, they will have the ability to win every game this year, wow, it's been awhile, no?
Go Vols

Reactions: 1 person
Twelve regular season games means that's about 85 yards per. Would seem to be reachable for a player with that type of talent. He will see a large amount of man coverage since it will be all hands on deck to deal with our running game. I look forward to a big season from Williams personally. It will surely mean good things for us.

Twelve regular season games means that's about 85 yards per. Would seem to be reachable for a player with that type of talent. He will see a large amount of man coverage since it will be all hands on deck to deal with our running game. I look forward to a big season from Williams personally. It will surely mean good things for us.

We'll be playing 15 games so lower that to about 67 receiving yards per game.

Reactions: 9 people
Preston has all the tools to be special. If he can find a rhythm with Dobbs then 1,000 yds is very possible.

Preston has all the tools to be special. If he can find a rhythm with Dobbs then 1,000 yds is very possible.

With Dobbs throwing, maybe he can take 3-4 screen passes the distance an pad his stats. The running game should also loosen up the secondary for some slants and wideouts.

If we average 45 points per game, 1000 yard rushing and receiving should not be a problem. We may have two 1000 yard rushers and a 1000 yard receiver.

If we average 45 points per game, 1000 yard rushing and receiving should not be a problem. We may have two 1000 yard rushers and a 1000 yard receiver.

We averaged 35 ppg last year and our leading receiver only had 409 yards receiving. Not saying it's not possible, just saying it's not very likely given the identity/philosophy of our offense.

Last edited:
We averaged 35 ppg last year and our leading receiver only had 409 yards receiving. Not saying it's not possible, just saying it's not very likely given the identity/philosophy of our offense.

Yeah plus STs was a huge factor in our high PPG. Our offense averaged one of the best starting field positions in CFB, so we often had short fields to work with. AND we were lucky enough to get a lot of KR and PR TDs as well.

So if that trend continues (gods, wouldn't it be awesome if it improved), then I don't necessarily think it will follow that our offense is racking up yards through the air and on the ground. Especially with the possibility that a more aggressive defense leads to even more short fields due to turnovers and/or defensive scores.

Thrilled with 650 yards? Wow.

Our two leading receivers last year had 409 and 405 yards respectively. We have PWill, Malone, Smith, Jennings.....then Wolf and Croom at TE....then Hurd and AK who will likely get their 55-60 catches combined again. Plus, posters on here are already talking about how Byrd and/or Williams or even George are gonna come in a show up big time and get a lot of reps.

That's a lot of guys to spread the ball around to in a spread offense that relies on throwing the ball all over the yard.......we're anything but that. We're a zone read running football team that ran the ball 62% of the time last year and I don't know why anyone should expect that number to change drastically.

Now, if PWill gets to 45 catches and 650 yards, that's 38 more catches and nearly 500 more yards than last year. Or, put another way, a better than 6-fold increase in catches and a better than 4-fold increase in yards. So yeah, I'd personally be thrilled if PWilly gets 650 yards which, by the way, would be the most yards receiving for a Tennessee Vol in the Butch Jones era.

Reactions: 2 people
It does make you wonder: if we find the Go-To Receiver, the guy who can catch it in a crowd even when the opponent knows we're gonna throw it to him, the guy who can turn even errant throws into great success...if PWill (or anyone else on the roster) turns out to be That Guy...will Butch and DeBord rotate the offense around him, even then? Amari or Pharoh Cooper style?

I don't think so. I think Power football is too big a part of the team's identity under Butch & Mike. I think having several different downfield targets, including the RBs, is too deeply ingrained.

So I'm with you, KB. PWill gets 45 for 650, that's a GREAT year in this offense. And that puts him at Kamara level for respect and dependability. Not Hurd, not Dobbs, but right behind them in importance to the offense.

That ain't bad. It ain't Amari Cooper, but it ain't bad.

It does make you wonder: if we find the Go-To Receiver, the guy who can catch it in a crowd even when the opponent knows we're gonna throw it to him, the guy who can turn even errant throws into great success...if PWill (or anyone else on the roster) turns out to be That Guy...will Butch and DeBord rotate the offense around him, even then? Amari or Pharoh Cooper style?

I don't think so. I think Power football is too big a part of the team's identity under Butch & Mike. I think having several different downfield targets, including the RBs, is too deeply ingrained.

So I'm with you, KB. PWill gets 45 for 650, that's a GREAT year in this offense. And that puts him at Kamara level for respect and dependability. Not Hurd, not Dobbs, but right behind them in importance to the offense.

That ain't bad. It ain't Amari Cooper, but it ain't bad.

I'd personally love to see 4 guys (PWilly, Malone, JJ and Smith) each with 40+ catches. If one guy can emerge as the go-to and put up huge numbers then ok. But that doesn't seem to be Butch's/Debord's and certainly not Azzani's M.O.

However it happens, I hope we can get the passing game closer to the 3000 yds/25 tds range. That'd likely mean that we've significantly increased our yards per attempt and explosiveness throwing down the field. Add that to the 3000+ yards and 30-35 tds we're gonna get on the ground, and we're cooking with grease offensively.

VN Store

Back