Manning on coaching rumors

Go back to the interview that launched this conversation: Peyton Manning talks about future, possibility of being QB coach at Tennessee - DanPatrick.com. Therein, Peyton categorically eliminated consideration of a head coaching position and didn’t even reference the offensive coordinator’s role. Dan Patrick specifically asked, “Well, what if Tennessee calls and says we need a quarterback coach? I mean you can’t turn down your alma mater.” Peyton offered the following response, “Quarterbacks coach I would do at Tennessee. Head coach absolutely not. For whatever reason people in Tennessee like me right now. You become head coach and cut it in half. Why are you throwing on fourth-and-1? Why did you punt there when you should have gone for it? It’s like being in politics. Quarterback coach you can stay under the radar. You get your quarterbacks throwing a lot of completions, you probably could stay in good favor. Maybe if they call, that’d be something."

If you take the context and tone of that interview into consideration, however, there definitely was a lot of joking, so it's difficult to know just how seriously one should have taken Peyton's remarks. (Listen, for example, to the segment where Peyton enumerates all of the NFL quarterbacks that he would defeat in a 40-yard dash.) Of this we can be absolutely certain, however. Peyton truly loves the University of Tennessee and its football program. He also stated in that interview, "I enjoy teaching football and that's kind of what I feel I do at our football camp. I enjoy talking about football and teaching things I've learned as a quarterback through the years." That is probably the context within which he will continue to periodically contribute to TennesseeÂ’s football program.

Reactions: 3 people
Can't say I blame him if he never coaches. It's amazing how fast you can go from hero to hated when things don't go as planned.

Reactions: 3 people
Reactions: 1 person
The fans who believes he was going to be QB coach also are are wanting to buy some ocean front property in Nebraska...

Wait, people actually thought he was seriously going to coaches QBs at UT? Seriously?

Yeah.. I guys worth hundred of millions and is a football icon wants to a be a QB coach and make $300k a year and going out recruiting to every little crappy small town and eat dinner at the local Sonic .. Makes perfect sense

Reactions: 1 person
If he does some one on one coaching/training for some of our QBs like some other VFLs have done, we be good.

Can't say I blame him if he never coaches. It's amazing how fast you can go from hero to hated when things don't go as planned.

Exactly. Majors, Fulmer, Chavis and Sanders have been crucified by some of the fans when they did nothing but bleed orange. The way Sanders was treated here during the last half of his final season as OC was especially despicable. He may not have been the best, but it was embarrassing the way some fans came down on him.

Last edited:
My sister-in-law's best friend was flying to Charlotte and had to go to the bathroom so went up to the first class restrooms. When she was walking through she saw Gruden and Manning who were flying in First Class in an intense conversation while looking at TN plays on their IPads with notepads titled 'list of potential assistant coaches' and '2018 Recruits'. On they way back from the bathroom they had put up their stuff and were pretending to sleep. I think it is happening. ANNOUNCEMENT MUST BE COMING SOON.

I have said for 10 years that PM will step into the shoes of Jim Haslam as the most influential booster / donor of Tennessee athletic programs. that will be Peyton's role in the future IMO.

that also allows him to pursue a position in management of an NFL football team. He will be a GM or president of a pro team.

all just my opinions.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back