The best coach by team list.

Iam4utalways

For Tn for now Neyland, I expect Butch might have something to say about that.

Bama would be "The Bear", Saban is making a case.

Florida is Spurier aka UT 1st Choice. And Urban would throw in his two cents.

South Carilina is Spurier aka UT 1st Choice again. Lou Holtz by name only, not so much on the field success.

Duke again Spurier aka UT 1st Choice but ole Cut is giving his all for them(that's bull, he should be our QB coach, unless Spurier aka UT 1st Choice wanted some action).

Ole Miss, Hugh is trying to leave his mark(possible stain) I don't know their history, maybe whoever was the coach when Archie was playing?

Georgia would be Dooly, the dogs have thrown in with Kirby.

LSU is Saban, they got hosed. They were good back in the 40's too, can't say less about Les.

Ky is "The Bear", and then Mummy? I bet there are Ky fans that don't know what beat means without Basketball in it.

State would be Jackie Sherrel, have they ever been good?

A&M Jackie Sherrel again, their best was when Johnny Football was there, that coach.

Mo's best coach just retired and they have never been good.

Vandy would be Franklin(I know right). I think they owned us back in the teen's. I always thought Chavis as HC would be a good fit at Vandy.

The hogs peaked in the 50's, and the stumbled away their shot at a NC. So it not Nutt.

VT Beamer .

Memphis is Fuentes.

Appy, the coach they have now, no disrespect I just don't know your name(and way too lazy to Google it, not even a little bit).

Texas Mack Brown.

FSU Bowden.

You get the picture.

Jump higher Vols.

tOSU - Woody Hayes

Meechigan - Bo Schembechler

Nebraska - Tom Osborne

Miami - Jimmy Johnson

Oklahoma - Bud Wilkinson / Barry Switzer?

"For now Neyland" you make it sound like he wasn't that great. He's arguable the greatest coach of all-time. Especially defensive minded and his team was about speed. He could have coached in this Era of spread offenses too. I would have loved to see him have 7 straight #1 recruiting classes in this era like Saban.

Also, I would already say Saban>Bear.

Reactions: 4 people
"For now Neyland" you make it sound like he wasn't that great. He's arguable the greatest coach of all-time. Especially defensive minded and his team was about speed. He could have coached in this Era of spread offenses too. I would have loved to see him have 7 straight #1 recruiting classes in this era like Saban.

Also, I would already say Saban>Bear.

Wishful thinking that CBJ will lead the program to being a Steamrolling Powerhouse National Championship program, like Pat did with the Lady Vols. That's should be the goal.

I think Saban is still in The Bear's shadow, and even if he surpasses all marks by The Bear, he will still be dealing with that legend. Them Bama fans still think he is a flash in the pan just waiting for a bigger check.

Jump higher Vols.

Wishful thinking that CBJ will lead the program to being a Steamrolling Powerhouse National Championship program, like Pat did with the Lady Vols. That's should be the goal.

I think Saban is still in The Bear's shadow, and even if he surpasses all marks by The Bear, he will still be dealing with that legend. Them Bama fans still think he is a flash in the pan just waiting for a bigger check.

Jump higher Vols.

Think you might need to ease your expectations back a bit. THinking and hoping Butch can be a great coach long term for us and win a title or two is great..Expecting something similar to a Pat or Saban kind of run of success where you win 5 or 6 titles(in Pat's case even more) is asking an extraordinary amount.

Joe Pa only won two titles.

Bowden only won two.

Neyland only won one.

Fulmer only won one.

Mack Brown only won one.

It is SO hard to win a national title, that even legendary hall of fame coaches generally only win one or two.

Coaches like Saban and even Meyer are extreme and rare cases. As much as Vol fans hate both, as fans of college football we should understand we're watching a time period where two different head coaches have won multiple titles, and at different schools.

If Butch wins "only" one or two titles, he'll have had an incredible career that would land him in the hall of fame.

Think you might need to ease your expectations back a bit. THinking and hoping Butch can be a great coach long term for us and win a title or two is great..Expecting something similar to a Pat or Saban kind of run of success where you win 5 or 6 titles(in Pat's case even more) is asking an extraordinary amount.

Joe Pa only won two titles.

Bowden only won two.

Neyland only won one.

Fulmer only won one.

Mack Brown only won one.

It is SO hard to win a national title, that even legendary hall of fame coaches generally only win one or two.

Coaches like Saban and even Meyer are extreme and rare cases. As much as Vol fans hate both, as fans of college football we should understand we're watching a time period where two different head coaches have won multiple titles, and at different schools.

If Butch wins "only" one or two titles, he'll have had an incredible career that would land him in the hall of fame.

If we count titles the same way Bama does, Neyland one like 5-10

South Carilina is Spurier aka UT 1st Choice again. Lou Holtz by name only, not so much on the field success.

Duke again Spurier aka UT 1st Choice but ole Cut is giving his all for them(that's bull, he should be our QB coach, unless Spurier aka UT 1st Choice wanted some action).

Ole Miss, Hugh is trying to leave his mark(possible stain) I don't know their history, maybe whoever was the coach when Archie was playing?

LSU is Saban, they got hosed. They were good back in the 40's too, can't say less about Les.

Ky is "The Bear", and then Mummy? I bet there are Ky fans that don't know what beat means without Basketball in it.

A&M Jackie Sherrel again, their best was when Johnny Football was there, that coach.

Vandy would be Franklin(I know right). I think they owned us back in the teen's. I always thought Chavis as HC would be a good fit at Vandy.

The hogs peaked in the 50's, and the stumbled away their shot at a NC. So it not Nutt.

VT Beamer .

Memphis is Fuentes.

Appy, the coach they have now, no disrespect I just don't know your name(and way too lazy to Google it, not even a little bit).

Texas Mack Brown.

FSU Bowden.

You get the picture.

Jump higher Vols.

I would expect CPF would have something to say about that.

Reactions: 1 person
Coach Bryant at Bama
Coach Bryant at Kentucky
Coach Bryant at Texas A&M
Jackie Sherrill at Miss State
Steve Sloan at Vandy
Bill Battle at Tennessee
"Cholly Mac" at LSU
Danny Ford at Arkansas
Pat Dye at the barn
Charley Pell at Florida
David Cutcliffe at Ole Miss
Kirby Smart at Georgia
Steve Spurrier at USC
Gary Pinkel at Missouri

I could be somewhat bias.

Last edited:
Sorry, but Saban > the Bear. Saban has won more in a more competitive landscape.

The Bear by a large margin. He turned around the football program every where he coached. He won at Maryland, Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Alabama. The only negative, he never beat General Neyland. He even stated that Neyland was the best coach that ever lived.

Arkansas = Frank Broyles
Texas = Darrel Royal
Ga Tech = Bobby Dodd (Vol)
Mississippi = John Vaught
LSU = Paul Deitzel
Auburn = Pat Dye
Southern Cal = John McKay
Pittsburgh = Johnny Majors (Vol)
Minnesota = Murray Warmath (Vol)
Notre Dame = Knute Rockne
Iowa State = Johnny Majors (Vol)
Clemson = Dabo Sweeney
UCLA = Tommy Prothro
Louisville = Bobby Petrino
Cincinnati = Butch Jones (Vol)

Edit:
Wyoming = Bowden Wyatt (Vol)

Last edited:
The Bear by a large margin. He turned around the football program every where he coached. He won at Maryland, Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Alabama. The only negative, he never beat General Neyland. He even stated that Neyland was the best coach that ever lived.

But who was Alabama's best coach? That was the question. Saban has won 4 nattys in 9 years (44%) in the toughest division of the toughest conference in college football. Bear won 6 in 25 years (24%) in a much more watered down SEC.

I hate to say it, and maybe it's because I'm only 26, but to me Saban is the coaching GOAT, joining the group of Neyland, Osborne, Hayes, Switzer, J Johnson and Bear as the best since the modern football era (circa post WWII). I'd be tempted to throw Meyer, Carroll, and D Erickson in that list as well.

Duke's standard bearer is Wallace Wade. Not many younguns' on here realize that Duke was a Footbal power in the years that Neyland was at Tennessee.

Duke's stadium is named after the man.

Reactions: 2 people

VT Beamer .

Memphis is Fuentes.

Texas Mack Brown.

FSU Bowden.

You get the picture.

Jump higher Vols.

I'd say the fact that Saban has a statue already and is still the current coach, along with the all the Naty's, he would slide into the #1 spot at Bama

VT Beamer .

Memphis is Fuentes.

Texas Mack Brown.

FSU Bowden.

You get the picture.

Jump higher Vols.

Disclaimer: i love butch and what he's done.

But based on the results thus far there is no way in hell his name should be mentioned in the same sentence as Neyland.

Weren't all of those match-ups when Bryant was at UK? I think they only coached against each other 6-7 times with a tie or 2 thrown in.

It is SO hard to win a national title, that even legendary hall of fame coaches generally only win one or two

It all depends on the cycle of college football. For instance, programs have upswings in the program and then they have down swings. for five years in a row they compete for the National Championship then for the next four years, they play in the Citrus Bowl, Peach Bowl or Liberty Bowl.
If a program is peaking at the right time, like we were in 1998, then you can get lucky and avoid the injury bug and get a favorable schedule, then you are in good shape.
Look at the programs two decades ago. UGA Ray Goff, USC Brad Scott, LSU Gerry DeNardo, Florida Spurrier, Ky. Mummy, Ole Miss Tuberville, Auburn Bowden, Bama Shula.
You see my point? Fast forward 20 years later and almost each school has made a significant upgrade on their coaching hires.
We caught the S.E.C. when teams were down, so we were able to get to the National Championship.
Look at the N.F.L. in the 70's. the raiders could not get championships because Pittsburgh was in the way. Even though the Raiders were very, very good in the 70's.
You have to have good timing.

:snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring: :snoring:How long do we have until the season starts?

Coach Bryant at Bama
Coach Bryant at Kentucky
Coach Bryant at Texas A&M
Jackie Sherrill at Miss State
Steve Sloan at Vandy
Bill Battle at Tennessee
"Cholly Mac" at LSU
Danny Ford at Arkansas
Pat Dye at the barn
Charley Pell at Florida
David Cutcliffe at Ole Miss
Kirby Smart at Georgia
Steve Spurrier at USC
Gary Pinkel at Missouri

I could be somewhat bias.

*biasED

Haha, sorry, personal pet peeve. I thought it was just TOP, but it seems like he's been rubbing off on people.

VN Store

Back