Analyst isn't "buying" Tennessee hype

Good. We're not selling hype. We're selling out Neyland. We're selling out for wins. We're selling out for a spot in the playoffs.

Reactions: 7 people
Everybody is entitled to an opinion and he has his. I just wonder if the guy could even name 3 starters on Tennessee's defense. He didn't get much into specifics. I expect both of those games to be very close again just like they both have been close the last two years. The talent among those three teams (UT, UGA and Fla) is at least comparable.

Reactions: 5 people
One of his excuses was, we're/they're creating hype within the program. By Butch complimenting Hurd as one of the best in the country? And Kongbo talking trash? That influenced the whole country to jump on the hype train?

Pssssshhhhh

Reactions: 6 people
Is there a link in the article to what the "ANALyst" said? Pretty sure this dude will be changing his tune after he sees what our D looks like with a coordinator that has the brains and balls to finish games, and an offense that has had another year to grow with Coach Debord. Team 120 is going to be better across the board than 119, and 119 came a play away from winning the east last year.

Can't wait to watch CBJ and team 120 prove this dude wrong!

Reactions: 3 people
I think they get 9-10 wins, its hard to be 100% sold on the program since they haven't beaten a sorry Florida team the last 2 years. Vegas has the over/under set at 10.5...my money is on the under BUT I'm also gonna drop a cool $100 for them to win it all at 15-1.

Reactions: 4 people
Bartoo is good. He's reasonable and he backs up his opinions with data. I've heard him many, many times when he's been very pro-Tennessee and full of optimism for the Vols. He's a regular on Swain's show during the season.

I will say this..... just because it may appear that UF and UGA have better talent on paper, it certainly doesn't mean they have better teams than Tennessee...IMHO, it's just the opposite.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Well, UGA and UF are both at least as talented as UT, and UGA is probably more talented across the board. If UT has an advantage it is that both of them will have new QBs, and in the dawgs case, probably a true freshman QB. UGA also has a new HC and 2 new coordinators so there should be some transition pains. For UF it depends on if Del Rio is an SEC caliber QB, and if he is, how quickly he acclinates himself to the speed of an upper level SEC defense. But it will be a 3-way fight for the East.

Reactions: 1 person
Bartoo is good. He's reasonable and he backs up his opinions with data. I've heard him many, many times when he's been very pro-Tennessee and full of optimism for the Vols.

I will say this..... just because it may appear that UF and UGA have better talent on paper, it certainly doesn't mean they have better teams than Tennessee...IMHO, it's just the opposite.

I don't even see how you could say that unless you're strictly going by recruiting rankings which are irrelevant when analyzing the current teams. I don't see how Florida is going to have any kind of offense at all this season. They were putrid from the Vandy game on last season.

Bartoo is good. He's reasonable and he backs up his opinions with data. I've heard him many, many times when he's been very pro-Tennessee and full of optimism for the Vols.

Didn't Daj get on here just the other day and say that this is the first time since like 2005 that Tennessee is more talented than Florida? I'd be anxious to hear his take on this because IIRC, he was one of the ones that said that he really trusts Dave Bartoo.

I don't even see how you could say that unless you're strictly going by recruiting rankings which are irrelevant when analyzing the current teams. I don't see how Florida is going to have any kind of offense at all this season. They were putrid from the Vandy game on last season.

You don't see how I can say that I think Tennessee has a better team than both Florida and Georgia despite some saying those two teams have more talent? Why? It's just opinion.....I thought we had a better team than either or those two last year and I believe that is the case again this year.

Did you maybe misunderstand what I wrote?

Well, UGA and UF are both at least as talented as UT, and UGA is probably more talented across the board. If UT has an advantage it is that both of them will have new QBs, and in the dawgs case, probably a true freshman QB. UGA also has a new HC and 2 new coordinators so there should be some transition pains. For UF it depends on if Del Rio is an SEC caliber QB, and if he is, how quickly he acclinates himself to the speed of an upper level SEC defense. But it will be a 3-way fight for the East.

Respectfully disagree. Tennessee is more talented on both sides of the ball then UGA or UF. We return more starters and have more upperclassmen.

Reactions: 5 people
You don't see how I can say that I think Tennessee has a better team than both Florida and Georgia despite some saying those two teams have more talent? Why? It's just opinion.....I thought we had a better team than either or those two last year and I believe that is the case again this year.

Did you maybe misunderstand what I wrote?

I think Tennessee has the better team with more experience on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Tennessee has the better team with more experience on both sides of the ball.

Agree 100%. Florida has questions at key spots, especially at QB. UGA is transitioning to a new headcoach and staff and they too have QB issues. We're a better, more experienced team than either of those two IMHO.

I think they get 9-10 wins, its hard to be 100% sold on the program since they haven't beaten a sorry Florida team the last 2 years. Vegas has the over/under set at 10.5...my money is on the under BUT I'm also gonna drop a cool $100 for them to win it all at 15-1.

Does it matter that we were also bad two years ago.

Bartoo is good. He's reasonable and he backs up his opinions with data. I've heard him many, many times when he's been very pro-Tennessee and full of optimism for the Vols. He's a regular on Swain's show during the season.

Agree, I have always enjoyed his insight. He is very "data driven" in his analysis. He also originally came up with his "analysis system" by trying to correlate recruiting rankings to on the field success. Hint(Recruiting is the biggest factor in on field success according to his numbers).
No real surprise he has Florida and Georgia ahead as our recruiting class 4 years ago probably keeps us behind them on paper. However, he is really splitting hairs here as factors such as experience at Quarterback and along the OL and DL can make up for any difference in talent he may calculate.

Does it matter that we were also bad two years ago.

It matters that we were better than they were. We've seen the last 2 years that Butch struggles to close out games as a coach. Florida 2x's, Oklahoma, ehh Bama, we had Georgia a couple of years ago...

I am so hoping for 11 or 12 wins but we'll see if he cpoaches to win or coaches to pray he doesn't blow it

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't Daj get on here just the other day and say that this is the first time since like 2005 that Tennessee is more talented than Florida? I'd be anxious to hear his take on this because IIRC, he was one of the ones that said that he really trusts Dave Bartoo.

Dave also factors in something called coaching effect. It's some metric he has that accounts for how the coach performs relative to the talent they have on the team. For instances muschamp had the worst coaching effect in the country. Last time I heard an interview with him he had bumped butch down to a negative 1 or so coaching effect whereas he gave mcellwain a positive one. So that's probably why he has Florida above us

VN Store

Back