So I talked to...

#1ManningFan

Vol for Life
One of the co founders of SportSource Analytics. He is my best friends cousin. For some of you who don't know what Sport Source Analytics do here is a quick run down...Stats company SportSource Analytics will inform College Football Playoff selection committee decisions

SportSource Analytics

Anyways we got to talking about many subjects of college football and the few I will share is about us (Tennessee) and other teams around the SEC and south.

To start Coach Jones and staff absolutely love these guys at SportSource and are using them a lot. So is Auburn, FSU, Clemson, GT, etc.

He told me how we got Shoop. To start Shoop hated James Franklin and wanted out of Penn State like you wouldn't believe. And his first interest was taking the DC position at Auburn when Muschamp bolted for USCe. Well the guys at SportSource told Jones you should look at Shoop who is a guru with numbers. They got in contact with Shoop and he loved the roster more at UT and Jones vision and attack. He mentioned that he saw and talked to Janciek at the airport after he got fired (yes fired not a mutual agreement) and he was PISSED and butthurt he was let go.

Also, when SportSouce visited Tenn they worked a lot with Shoop. Why? Because Shoop loves data and believes everything lies from within. Said he is the biggest statistics coach they've worked with yet and loves statistical data. He told me that Shoop even stumped them in there meeting with him. He said Shoop is a defensive guru and said we got a great one.

We got to talking about DC's going on to getting big head coaching gigs at major D1 programs and he said that he will predict Kirby Smart will have a worst record at UGA in his first 5 years than Richt's last 5 years. And he mentioned that if you look back at the last 15 years no DC that has never been a head coach that got one at a major D1 program has not been successful. So I started thinking and I could not recall one being successful. He said those guys need to start off at 2nd tier schools not major programs. So the gist is that Kirby won't be as successful as Richt. Just like Muschamp, Strong, Pelini, Hoke, etc.

He mentioned Jones is very thorough and is always finding an edge with the latest technology.

Anyways I thought I would share. Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 53 people
Thanks for sharing, interesting stuff. Thrilled to have Shoop and hope like heck those guys are right about Smart.....we need UGA to suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
For once we can say 'cool story bro' without the implicit sarcastic snark.

Thanks, man.

Last edited:
The hiring of Shoop is the most significant thing that CBJ has done, in my opinion, since he was hired. From everything that has been said, from many different sources, Shoop is a real difference maker. CBJ has the foundation set and is on a pathway for great success. Shoop will help get us there quicker.

Reactions: 3 people
The hiring of Shoop is the most significant thing that CBJ has done, in my opinion, since he was hired. From everything that has been said, from many different sources, Shoop is a real difference maker. CBJ has the foundation set and is on a pathway for great success. Shoop will help get us there quicker.

I can't wait to watch this defense maul people. So much talent, such a great coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Cue the "its happening"!!!!

:thumbsup:

vwMin.gif

He mentioned that he saw and talked to Janciek at the airport after he got fired (yes fired not a mutual agreement) and he was PISSED and butthurt he was let go.

Well, it wasn't exactly a lateral move...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 6.21.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 6.21.15 PM.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 43
Wonder why Shoop went with Franklin to Penn St since he didn't like him. Or what happened during their time at Penn St that caused the falling out.

Assuming 15 years is an arbitrary number I can name one DC who got his first head coaching job at a legacy program and has been highly successful......Bob Stoops. His 2nd year at OU he won a national championship and has won more conference championships than the rest of the league combined. He is the winningest coach in school history.

IMO This team is stronger than the 1998 team. Your thoughts Hopson??

Comparable. Not better. In fact, we would hand them a butt kicking. It's Like comparing golden state to Chicago Bulls. Yes I believe the Bulls would dominate them. 😎.

Reactions: 19 people
Assuming 15 years is an arbitrary number I can name one DC who got his first head coaching job at a legacy program and has been highly successful......Bob Stoops. His 2nd year at OU he won a national championship and has won more conference championships than the rest of the league combined. He is the winningest coach in school history.

The interesting thing about Stoops, IMO is how fast he rose. He was Co-DC for 5 years at KSU, DC/AHC for 3 years at UF, and then became the head coach at Oklahoma. So basically, he got a big time gig after just 3 years as a fulltime DC. It's worth noting that his defenses were truly his at UF though, since Spurrier was an offense guy.

Smart will have been a DC for 9 seasons and it isn't exactly clear how much of Bama's defensive success can be attributed to him and how much to Saban, who is a defensive guru.

Comparable. Not better. In fact, we would hand them a butt kicking. It's Like comparing golden state to Chicago Bulls. Yes I believe the Bulls would dominate them. 😎.

Just had the very conversation about the Bulls and Warriors this evening. I said the same thing you did....Bulls all the way.

I will also say that on paper this team is comparable to a degree, on the field......we'll see.

IMO....'96 - '01 all could have been championship seasons. Stout teams year after year.

So I was passed along a tidbit of info on the firing of jancek. Word is it wasn't mutual like you said, but Bc jancek was having an affair with a major boosters wife. And it was either the money or the coach. Idk if y'all had heard this but dang, if true..... Talk about stepping on toes

Thanks for sharing, interesting stuff. Thrilled to have Shoop and hope like heck those guys are right about Smart.....we need UGA to suck.

I want UGA to just be mediocre. Why? Because the state hosts tons of talent. We get our fair share and granted would get more if they sucked. But when they do suck Auburn benefits ALOT and they'll be showing up on our schedule not to far out in the future.

VN Store

Back