The reason we didn't repeat in 1999.

That video basically shows us not moving the ball, missing tackles, and them throwing it all over the field.

Reactions: 1 person
Try Arkansas at Fayetteville

I tend to doubt we would have gotten the nod over an undefeated Virginia Tech team anyway.

The hunger just wasn't there in '99. We had to fight like hell to beat Memphis for crying out loud. We sorely missed Al Wilson's leadership and we didn't have a deep threat at WR without Peerless Price (why we didn't utilize Freshman Donte Stallworth more is a mystery). Tee Martin's passes were too high all season long especially vs Florida. Jamal Lewis wasn't the same in '99 either as he was still recovering from knee surgery. Fulmer should have gone with Travis Henry more vs Florida. An unsung hero from '98 was FB Shawn Bryson who was also missed. His backup Will Bartholomew missed a block in pass protection vs Arkansas that led to key fumble in the 2nd half as I recall. I also suspect we had too many guys looking forward to the '00 draft (except for Deon Grant, who had an awesome year from start to finish).

Reactions: 7 people
Alex Brown. Dude went beast mode that night!

Yep. We tried to block him with Josh Tucker all night. Alex Brown didn't do anything but pick his butt of the ground vs Tennessee in '00 or '01 but for some reason the combo of Fulmer/Sanders decided to let him make 1st team All America that night by never adjusting their blocking schemes. Ridiculous.

Reactions: 4 people
Those old UF bring back a lot of head scratching memories. Spurrier knew UT would come into that game pumped up and used it to his advantage. Our D would over pursue and their QB would complete back shoulder passes all day against us.

Reactions: 2 people
Robert Gillespie. Our current RB coach and former UF RB. I know there was a lot more as to why we didn't repeat, just thought this was neat to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU0kTYxs9ag

A bit more because we lost to Arkansas, but really the deciding factor would have still mostly been because #1 and #2 FSU and Virginia Tech were each undefeated come the regular season's end.

Robert Gillespie. Our current RB coach and former UF RB. I know there was a lot more as to why we didn't repeat, just thought this was neat to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU0kTYxs9ag

the reason we didn't repeat was because we had far too many on that squad with their eye on the NFL and were playing to not get hurt. Didn't want to risk losing money.

Hope that doesn't become an issue wih this team as several are headed that way after this season.

but that was the 99 issue

Reactions: 6 people
Lot's of pain and cussing that night. I wish Deon Grant would have run the last INT back. I think he could have gotten at least 10-15 more yards. Of course his back was sore and maybe he was afraid he would turn it over on a big hit.

This one hurt almost as much as SECCG TENN lost to LSU. Yet another game lost to a backup QB. Sometimes I think we should spend a day of practice scheming the backup QBs. lol

I was at the UT-Florida game in '99. Absolutely electric atmosphere with two top 5 teams. We were more talented, by a lot, and should have won the game--but we did seem complacent in that game, and also pretty stupid. I watched Goodrich a lot and he played a bit lackadaisical. I think we let florida score right before the end of the first half--or either to start the second half; either way, you don't want to give up scores at either time. It was incredibly noisy--night game in Gainesville ,everybody drunk--and Aex Brown was keyed into our snap count all night and the coaches did nothing to stop him. Even so, we had the ball late, trailing, nearly midfield, and a TD wins the game for us. We had 3rd and 3, ran a toss sweep to Lewis: Stoned. Florida knew we were going to run Lewis. Fourth and 3: We ran the EXACT SAME play: Stoned. Stupid play calling. Had Tee faked a handoff to Lewis and run the other way on a bootleg, he surely would have score. They knew we were running Lewis--said so after the game. Bad loss. Maybe the most talented Vol team in 100 years.

Reactions: 3 people
Getting severely outcoached at Florida and defensive breakdowns against Arkansas along with Tee throwing a terrible pick 6. Didn't matter, because we weren't a top 5 team that year. The beat down Nebraska gave us in the bowl game proved it. Either Va Tech or FSU would've killed us that year.

Reactions: 2 people
This game was an issue of coaching, pure and simple. The Florida players talked about it after the game how they knew the plays and the snap count. I remember screaming during the game that we simply do a hard count every now and then just to slow Alex Brown down (you can see him jumping the count in the video).

I would have hoped that Tee would have changed things up on his own, but this was the game where it was obvious to me that Randy Sanders was over his head; no adjustments what so ever.

Last edited:
This game was an issue of coaching, pure and simple. The Florida players talked about it after the game how they knew the plays and the snap count. I remember screaming during the game that we simply do a hard count every now and then just to slow Alex Brown down (you can see him jumping the count in the video).

I would have hoped that Tee would have changed things up on his own, but this was the game where it was obvious to me that Randy Sanders was over his head; no adjustments what so ever.

This was the most glaring part of that video IMO. It seemed as if their players knew the count better than ours. They were past the linemen before they could even move.

Getting severely outcoached at Florida and defensive breakdowns against Arkansas along with Tee throwing a terrible pick 6. Didn't matter, because we weren't a top 5 team that year. The beat down Nebraska gave us in the bowl game proved it. Either Va Tech or FSU would've killed us that year.

Nebraska, OMG that was a stomping

Alex Brown. Dude went beast mode that night!

That was one of the most confounding things I've ever seen in my 40+ years of following football. We were clearly the better football team. But we absolutely REFUSED to make any adjustment on how we went about blocking Alex Brown the entire game and essentially allowed him to the single biggest factor in that unnecessary loss to the Gators. I'm still scratching my head over that one.....and to a much lesser extent the 4th down, Lewis off left tackle vanilla playcall that ended the game.

Last edited:
4th Q was a good one. A 97 yard drive followed by Grant's interception, sure thought we were going to win.

Prolly cant sum it up with just one answer.
I'd go with a combination of:
Players looking forward to the next step.
Complacency from top to bottom.
Al Wilson graduated.

We did not repeat because of the O.C. calling a predictable running play at the end of the Florida game. Jamaal was stopped even before the play got started. Also, no one could stop Alex Brown.
The other reason is because of that 4 point loss to Arkansas. Have no idea how we lost that game.

Ever notice that players on opposing teams make a lot of money off of us? Dexter Mc got about 300 yard against us in 2009 and ended up getting noticed by the N.F.L. and even drafted by the Chiefs. Other than that game, he was just an average player all year.
Then with Alex Brown, he played a lights out game against us and that got him noticed by the NFL and eventually got him a contract with the Bears.

'99 was a preview of how things would go without Cutcliff... Sanders didnt have it, and his worst play calling was in the Ark game, where we were in the RZ 3 or 4 times and came away with zero points, mainly calling deep drops where a sack took us out of FG range... Cut was also the discipline guy on the staff, and the offense started looking sloppy without him. I think we'd have been in another NC rematch with Free Shoes had Cut stayed.

VN Store

Back