PFF: Hurd/Kamara Most Talented RB Duo In The Country

Titans4Vols

Tennessee: Jalen Hurd and Alvin Kamara are the most talented running back duo in the nation

With so many talented running backs in college football right now, plenty of teams have a guy who they can feature their ground game around. Not many teams have two though, and that’s where the Volunteers have an edge. Jalen Hurd is the obvious name that everyone knows, rushing for 1,286 yards and forcing 65 missed tackles on the ground, but Alvin Kamara was even more impressive last year, albeit in a limited role. He carried the ball just 106 times, but racked up 702 yards and forced 28 missed tackles. He also added 13 missed tackles forced as a receiver on 35 catches, compared with Hurd’s five from 23 receptions. This isn’t about trying to argue one is better than the other though, this is about pointing out just how talented the Tennessee backfield is, and just how big an impact they can make in 2016.

Tennessee.png

MT = Missed Tackles forced.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-biggest-reason-for-hope-for-every-sec-team/

Also, for A&M's section, they mention this about Barnett:

Texas A&M: Myles Garrett could be the best edge defender in the nation

--

Only Tennessee’s Derek Barnett had a higher grade among returning edge defenders in 2015

Reactions: 15 people
Very fortunate to have two incredibly talented RBs. Looking for a huge year collectively from the two of them. And really gonna miss em both in 2017.

Reactions: 2 people
Think someone here (hope not D4H) posted a statistical comparison between Barnett and Garrett and Barnett blew him away in almost every category despite Garrett getting most of the pub from sports media.

Reactions: 4 people
We probably have the most talented stable of backs in the country. We can legitimately go 5 deep if needed. I'm fine with using the 2 studs but if we had to dive into the depth chart we would still see really good production. It's exciting to have this many options when it comes to skill positions.

We probably have the most talented stable of backs in the country. We can legitimately go 5 deep if needed. I'm fine with using the 2 studs but if we had to dive into the depth chart we would still see really good production. It's exciting to have this many options when it comes to skill positions.

5 deep? I'm thinking 3 tops unless/until Fils-Amine shows up and proves himself.....in which case we will be 4 deep (Hurd, AK, Kelly and CFA).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
5 deep? I'm thinking 3 tops unless/until Fils-Amine shows up and proves himself.

Agree. We do have a great three deep IMO though. Hopefully we find out it's 4 or 5 deep this year.

Agree. We do have a great three deep IMO though. Hopefully we find out it's 4 or 5 deep this year.

Oh yeah, I love the first 3 and believe we're all gonna love us some CFA when he gets here. But right now we wont even have 5 scholly RBs on the roster with Joe Young's unfortunate injury iirc.

Oh yeah, I love the first 3 and believe we're all gonna love us some CFA when he gets here. But right now we wont even have 5 scholly RBs on the roster with Joe Young's unfortunate injury iirc.

Yeah. The news on Young is unfortunate. I really liked him too. We're in on some pretty good RB's for next year though. Akers/Chandler....and I'm interested to see more on the Williams kid out of FL (6'2'" - 215 lbs as a Junior).

So does anyone know what Joe Young's injury is? I can't find any information other than "possibly career ending"??? It seems strange

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah. The news on Young is unfortunate. I really liked him too. We're in on some pretty good RB's for next year though. Akers/Chandler....and I'm interested to see more on the Williams kid out of FL (6'2'" - 215 lbs as a Junior).

Yea, Akers seems like the complete package. His Crystal Ball points to Ole Miss, but few expect him to stay instate, especially considering that OM's running game has been pedestrian at best since Freeze has been there. He should be considered of the highest priority in the next class, especially if Hurd/Kamara both declare.

I have confidence that John Kelly will get some significant snaps and have some key plays for us this year. Love his game...

I have confidence that John Kelly will get some significant snaps and have some key plays for us this year. Love his game...

If he does as well in fall practice as he did in spring, I think he will see more snaps than just garbage time. They almost have to give him more (depending on how games are going) as he very well could/will be the #1 going into 2017. He's going to need a few MEANINGFUL game snaps to prepare him for next year. JMO of course. First thing is to win games this year, then worry about next year's RB getting snaps I guess.

Reactions: 1 person
If he does as well in fall practice as he did in spring, I think he will see more snaps than just garbage time. They almost have to give him more (depending on how games are going) as he very well could/will be the #1 going into 2017. He's going to need a few MEANINGFUL game snaps to prepare him for next year. JMO of course. First thing is to win games this year, then worry about next year's RB getting snaps I guess.

Agree. I think based on his limited time last year and his growth in the spring, he's due a few carries in real time this year. Hoping he makes the most of them...

i think our top three is the best, not sure about 5 deep yet. Kelly will end up being better than Hurd. He would start on any team in the country this year not named Stanford, Lsu, FSU, Penn st, UGA, Oregon.

VN Store

Back