Top 10: Bold Predictions For 2016 Newcomers

Kristy*

Omaha
Friday Top 10: Bold Predictions For 2016 Newcomers | Rocky Top Insider

"2. Latrell Williams will make the largest immediate impact

Latrell Williams has been the dark horse of this class since he signed. His signing actually concerned me, because I thought it indicated Kongbo going elsewhere in terms of remaining scholarships. Williams was also somewhat overshadowed by Tyler Byrd’s flip from Miami, as Williams followed suit a day afterward. That being said, Williams is the fastest man in this class. Deep bombs, sweeps, screens, direct snap, you name it, Williams knows what to do with the football. Among all the signees, he has the highest potential to come in and help immediately. A Preston/Latrell Williams duo could be a scary sight for defenses.

. . .

4. Jarrett Guarantano will beat out Quinten Dormady

Guarantano is the leader that fans want. Still the best highlight tape I’ve seen to date, the sky is the limit for Jarrett Guarantano. He has the speed of Dobbs, the arm of Quinten Dormady, and the stride of Hurd. Dormady has an incredible arm, and may even come in as the starter for the 2017 opener. However, Dobbs’ current backup will either fail to meet the expectations of Vols fans, or will be beaten out by his younger counter-part before that can happen. Butch Jones is at a point where he now has to keep several very talented quarterbacks happy. Quinten Dormady can be a great quarterback, which should tell you what I think about Guarantano."

Thoughts?

Reactions: 7 people
Sounds like the kind of problems that we should enjoy having! Derek Dooley says it's way easier to manage expectations when there is absolutely no competition at each position. Way less attrition and no phone calls from angry parents about playing time. Nobody's feelings get hurt so the team can focus on life skills like shower etiquette.

Reactions: 1 person

Latrell Williams has been the dark horse of this class since he signed. His signing actually concerned me, because I thought it indicated Kongbo going elsewhere in terms of remaining scholarships. Williams was also somewhat overshadowed by Tyler Byrd’s flip from Miami, as Williams followed suit a day afterward. That being said, Williams is the fastest man in this class. Deep bombs, sweeps, screens, direct snap, you name it, Williams knows what to do with the football. Among all the signees, he has the highest potential to come in and help immediately. A Preston/Latrell Williams duo could be a scary sight for defenses.

. . .

Guarantano is the leader that fans want. Still the best highlight tape I’ve seen to date, the sky is the limit for Jarrett Guarantano. He has the speed of Dobbs, the arm of Quinten Dormady, and the stride of Hurd. Dormady has an incredible arm, and may even come in as the starter for the 2017 opener. However, Dobbs’ current backup will either fail to meet the expectations of Vols fans, or will be beaten out by his younger counter-part before that can happen. Butch Jones is at a point where he now has to keep several very talented quarterbacks happy. Quinten Dormady can be a great quarterback, which should tell you what I think about Guarantano."

Thoughts?

Agree Guarantano is a beast and could be a real super star here, Williams should be a good compliment to the offense as well.

Yes but what does D4H think of his tape? I will hold my reservations until then.

Agree on Latrell and Jarrett.

Latrell Williams was my favorite signee on tape other than Tyler Byrd. He should be an immediate impact.

Guarantano is a better version of Colin Kaepernick. He's a worthy successor to Josh Dobbs.

Reactions: 6 people
Some of these I agreed with more than others. I agree with them that Kongbo will need some time to adjust to SEC football. I think Warrior will be a special teams beast and that Gaulden will be feared by our opponents. 2 and 4 are obviously the most contentious.

On number #2 I'm not sure. Williams has the tools to make an impact, that's for sure. I think our offense has been missing a WR with his type of skill set. But often it takes more than just a great skill set for freshmen to make an impact. They've gotta learn the playbook, become mentally tough, adapt to the life of a college student athlete, etc.

With Tyler Byrd starting out at WR, Williams will have 4 other true freshman WRs to compete against as well. I do think we'll see a freshman WR make an impact, but I'm not sure which one it will be yet.

On number 4, I'll withhold judgment until spring 2017. Barring injuries, Guarantano will redshirt in 2016 and Dormady should get some valuable reps. I do think Guarantano has more upside than Dormady, but Dormady will have age and experience on his side.

Reactions: 3 people
Enjoyed reading this list as what I derived from it is we have competition all over the field and that is a very good thing. We have kids that are self motivated to be the best they can be and other kids that will be challenged to put in the work as they have gotten by up until now based on their athletic superiority. That is a very good mix to have as older guys will be demonstrating to the younger guys what it takes. The last couple of years our younger less experienced guys were showing some of our veterans what it takes. We very well may have turned a significant corner in this program.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree. JG has the potential to be better than any qb we have had since Peyton. I doubt Dormady ever starts a game here unless it is an opponent on the opposing team.

Kirkland, Jr. will be defensive player of the year. 2nd year and JRM returning was big for him.

Kirkland, Jr. will be defensive player of the year. 2nd year and JRM returning was big for him.

No doubt we have talent on both sides of the ball, if those players perform up to their potential several of 'em will be in the conversation for conference and national honors . Team 120 has some demons to exorcise in the upcoming season.

Last edited:

. . .

Thoughts?

I'll be shocked if JG as a true freshman beats out QD. If he does, then Houston we may have a problem. Not demeaning JG; only the fact that if we have to rely on a true freshman QB, despite how talented he may be, then QD was not as good as I thought. And apparently you as well since you think he can also be a great QB. Now after his freshman season then he may could beat out QD, although I think once a good QB becomes entrenched as the #1 it will be hard to beat him out. (see Dobbs)

I'll be shocked if JG as a true freshman beats out QD. If he does, then Houston we may have a problem. Not demeaning JG; only the fact that if we have to rely on a true freshman QB, despite how talented he may be, then QD was not as good as I thought. And apparently you as well since you think he can also be a great QB. Now after his freshman season then he may could beat out QD, although I think once a good QB becomes entrenched as the #1 it will be hard to beat him out. (see Dobbs)

QD only has a year head start on JG. A year where he looked ok and only threw 22 passes. It not like either will start this year. If they both are what they were supposed to be when recruited then JG will overtake him. There is a reason QD was not a top 15 qb last year and JG is the top player at his position. JG was over 200 spots higher in the rankings and a top 80 player. JG is much more highly thought of coming out of hs. People here have just overhyped QD. He is no Josh Rosen. JG is a consensus top 5 qb. If they are what the experts said then JG should beat out QD.We basically only have film to compare and JG's was way more impressive. QD didn't wow this spring or last season.

Just another off season hype article. One the writer will stick his chest out on things he got lucky on, and hope we have amnesia about the rest.

Now, to make sure the channels showing the world cup are blocked.......

Just another off season hype article. One the writer will stick his chest out on things he got lucky on, and hope we have amnesia about the rest.

Now, to make sure the channels showing the world cup are blocked.......

No hype article. Just some predictions - some favorable, some not so much.

Some of these I agreed with more than others. I agree with them that Kongbo will need some time to adjust to SEC football. I think Warrior will be a special teams beast and that Gaulden will be feared by our opponents. 2 and 4 are obviously the most contentious.

On number #2 I'm not sure. Williams has the tools to make an impact, that's for sure. I think our offense has been missing a WR with his type of skill set. But often it takes more than just a great skill set for freshmen to make an impact. They've gotta learn the playbook, become mentally tough, adapt to the life of a college student athlete, etc.

With Tyler Byrd starting out at WR, Williams will have 4 other true freshman WRs to compete against as well. I do think we'll see a freshman WR make an impact, but I'm not sure which one it will be yet.

On number 4, I'll withhold judgment until spring 2017. Barring injuries, Guarantano will redshirt in 2016 and Dormady should get some valuable reps. I do think Guarantano has more upside than Dormady, but Dormady will have age and experience on his side.

Agree with all.

QD only has a year head start on JG. A year where he looked ok and only threw 22 passes. It not like either will start this year. If they both are what they were supposed to be when recruited then JG will overtake him. There is a reason QD was not a top 15 qb last year and JG is the top player at his position. JG was over 200 spots higher in the rankings and a top 80 player. JG is much more highly thought of coming out of hs. People here have just overhyped QD. He is no Josh Rosen. JG is a consensus top 5 qb. If they are what the experts said then JG should beat out QD.We basically only have film to compare and JG's was way more impressive. QD didn't wow this spring or last season.

22 more passes than JG will throw as a redshirt this year. Why waste a year of eligibility unless Dobbs gets hurt? The program is better than that

22 more passes than JG will throw as a redshirt this year. Why waste a year of eligibility unless Dobbs gets hurt? The program is better than that

If he is as good as advertised get him time as backup this year. He then has two good years of starting before the draft as a Jr. Pretty simple.

I think S Jones, on paper, looked a lot like Dobbs coming out of high school. I hope that he gets a shot at least. I think our offense can use both types of Qb's but I think that it's more consistent, explosive with a true dual threat QB.

If he is as good as advertised get him time as backup this year. He then has two good years of starting before the draft as a Jr. Pretty simple.

But? Meaningless time? Doesn't matter? Seriously how much development will he get in garbage minutes...if everything goes right? With your "anybody but Dormady" mentality why not let "the spare" sit and spin? And since it's a foregone conclusion that JG is early entrant NFL draft all the way, his stats will be pristine without the true freshman scrum scat. :yuck: We all want the same thing...our vision with our blinders. :lol:

Wouldn't be so quick to count QD and even Sheriron out so quickly. Plus, JG has already said he's good with red shirting. We have a really good QB situation going forward and JG is but one (big) piece of it IMHO.

Never expect a WR to dominate right out of HS.. It rarely happens

Unfortunately when they do they most often play for Bama or the Gators. Could be lady luck finally smiles on us?

But? Meaningless time? Doesn't matter? Seriously how much development will he get in garbage minutes...if everything goes right? With your "anybody but Dormady" mentality why not let "the spare" sit and spin? And since it's a foregone conclusion that JG is early entrant NFL draft all the way, his stats will be pristine without the true freshman scrum scat. :yuck: We all want the same thing...our vision with our blinders. :lol:

I never said meaningless time. QD didn't play against any legit competition in game last year though. If JG plays this year as back up he will have as much or more game experience as QD. If you think that time won't help development then it didn't help QD the past year. If it did, JG would benefit form the same situation. Either way QD doesn't have much more experience.

I never said anyone but QD. I know Dobbs is better and think JG will be better. If you believe in any of the ranking, all star camps, or expert opinions they also believe JG will be better. JG is way more highly thought of coming out of hs. QD wasn't some top qb recruit like JG is. One is a top 80 player and the top dt qb. One is a 262 ranked number 18 qb overall and number 11 ps qb. I'm not the only one who believes there is a huge talent gap.

Maybe he won't go after three years. Either way I doubt he stays 5 years with a rs year. It would be more likely he leaves after his rs JR year if he meets expectations. Maybe even after a rs So year if he does well. So we need to get him all the time we can.

Dormady had an average freshman year and an average spring. JG, on paper, is the best qb we have recruited since Peyton. If he lives up to the hype Dormady never sees the field.

VN Store

Back