Remember Attrition?

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Remember all the angst on the boards a year ago about our abnormally high attrition rates?

If Nieko Creamer does end up transferring, that will make, what, 1? For the 2016 offseason?

How you like me now, the stat says. :)

Reactions: 14 people
Remember all the angst on the boards a year ago about our abnormally high attrition rates?

If Nieko Creamer does end up transferring, that will make, what, 1? For the 2016 offseason?

Attrition is good... It's called competition

Reactions: 13 people
Attrition is good... It's called competition

I hate to point out that, per last year's analytical and emotionless commentary on volnation, attrition is the 3rd through 5th sign of the program ending.

I believe it is preceded only by a bevy of high ankle sprains and Neyland stadium exploding.

Reactions: 8 people
I hate to point out that, per last year's analytical and emotionless commentary on volnation, attrition is the 3rd through 5th sign of the program ending.

I believe it is preceded only by a bevy of high ankle sprains and Neyland stadium exploding.

And people standing and cheering the whole game in front of blue hairs

Attrition like A&M had is bad. You don't want to lose starting QBs.

Attrition like we had last year is okay. You can stand to lose career backups.

Reactions: 4 people
Prediction:

There will be a few more in the coming weeks.

I think it's a little late in the process for us to see more attrition unless it is some underclassmen who don't foresee themselves getting any PT the rest of their careers at UT. For upperclassmen, like Blair, why leave now to either a.) go sit for a year then possibly get PT next year or b.) grad transfer and try to dive into a completely new system with only 3.5 months to learn and be successful. I'd say stay as the back-up on a team that could potentially win the SEC and compete for a Natty, take your rings and vet your pro prospects after a year. You will get more exposure as a back-up on an SEC championship team vs. a starter on a MAC or FCS team.

Reactions: 1 person
I think it's a little late in the process for us to see more attrition unless it is some underclassmen who don't foresee themselves getting any PT the rest of their careers at UT. For upperclassmen, like Blair, why leave now to either a.) go sit for a year then possibly get PT next year or b.) grad transfer and try to dive into a completely new system with only 3.5 months to learn and be successful. I'd say stay as the back-up on a team that could potentially win the SEC and compete for a Natty, take your rings and vet your pro prospects after a year. You will get more exposure as a back-up on an SEC championship team vs. a starter on a MAC or FCS team.

The NFL really does not look to draft career back up and 3rd teamers.. If that was the case Woody Quinn would have been a top 10 pick

Agree JP. You could even say we've had anti-attrition with all draft-eligible players that chose to return.

Some people look for anything to complain about without acknowledging the good, which there has been plenty of. Those people are probably on the "slow" recruiting meltdown train right now. But they'll be on to the next "freak out" topic when we finish with another solid recruiting class. . .

Reactions: 3 people
however, and you are correct, I would have liked to see Hendrix suit up for the Vols. i think he could have been a good one.

Prediction:

There will be a few more in the coming weeks.

I don't think so. Not significant numbers, anyway.

Exams are over. Other than seniors waiting for graduation ceremony (tomorrow), everyone is finished for the academic year. Summer session starts in two weeks.

If any player were considering a transfer, they'd normally have started the process and have it well under way by now.

Heck, are we even confident Creamer is leaving? Last we heard in these boards, he was just considering it. Getting late in the day for him to pull the trigger.

Agree JP. You could even say we've had anti-attrition with all draft-eligible players that chose to return.

Some people look for anything to complain about without acknowledging the good, which there has been plenty of. Those people are probably on the "slow" recruiting meltdown train right now. But they'll be on to the next "freak out" topic when we finish with another solid recruiting class. . .

You're right, Kristy. It's like the polar inverse of attrition, what Cam and Alvin and JRM did. Excited for and about those young men.

Last edited:
The NFL really does not look to draft career back up and 3rd teamers.. If that was the case Woody Quinn would have been a top 10 pick

This is true but if you are a consistent backup on an elite team where your first team guy is an All-Conference or All-American performer, you have gotten reps as a backup to have some film and you have solid intangibles (keep in mind these are some big ifs) you will have the chance to be picked up by a professional team, more than likely as an Undrafted Free Agent. Matt Cassell is a great example of this. Dude didn't even have one start in college, wound up getting picked up as a UFA and started in the pros. It's rare but I believe you have a better chance of making a pro team as a back up who gets snaps on an elite team vs. a lower level starter who has transferred.

Where is Dewayne Hendrix, and is he doing well?

EDIT: A Google search works well, ha. He's with Pitt. He'll play this fall after sitting out a year per NCAA rules.

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on him this season.

Last edited:

Actually, if this is the only transfer, we should consider ourselves fortunate. The program has improved, and the last couple of classes might have been better screened, but this is still well under an average for any program. They must be doing something right over there, despite what some might say.

Do we still count Sheriron Jones as a transfer, or not since he changed his mind and came back? Even if you do, still good to see better retention. Anyway, the previous angst was justified because it showed folks here were invested in both the program and the individual players. And many who left then were valued targets.

I hate any player to leave, but if he isn't getting playing time and can get a shot elsewhere, he does what is best for him, I guess.

Stay outta trouble, Vols.

QB-BJ Coleman, Brandon Stewart, AJ Suggs

Offense

QB - First Team: Brent Schaffer Second Team: BJ Coleman Third Team: Brandon Stewart Bench: Riley Ferguson, AJ Suggs
RB - First Team: Lennon Creer Second Team: Bryce Brown Third Team: David Oku
OL - I need more time to think
TE - First Team: Cameron Clear (kicked off) Second Team: AJ Branisel Third Team: Daniel Helm
WR - First Team: DeAnthony Arnett Second Team: Drae Bowles Third Team: Paul Harris Bench: Vic Wharton

Defense

DL: First Team: Montori Hughes Second Team: Jason Carr Third Team: Dwayne Hendrix Bench: Michael Sawyers, Dante Phillips
LB: Jerod Askew don't know many others
DB: First Team: Deion Bonner Second Team: D'Andre Payne

2012 (Derek DoLittle's last recruiting class) and 2014 seem to be the All Attrition Team winners.

Reactions: 4 people
Someone should come up with an all-attrition team. That would be good comedy.

Off the top of my head from the Jones era:

QB: Riley Ferguson
RB: Treyvon Paulk, Darrell Scott
WR: Paul Harris
WR: Ryan Jenkins
WR: Vic Wharton
TE: Daniel Helm, Kyle Oliver

DE: Dwayne Hendrix
DT: Michael Sawyers
DT: Jason Carr
DE: Jaylen Miller
S: Lemond Johnson
CB: D'Andre Payne
CB: Riyahd Jones

Still missing an entire offensive line, another safety, and linebackers.

Disappointed Bo Hardegree, Matt Milton, and Que Watson aren't on anybody's all attrition roster.

VN Store

Back