So I guess everyone has seen Michigan's Nike deal

For that much money they must be playing in pads that make them all look just like the Nike Swoosh. I wonder just how much advertisement they'll get during home games and publications.

So, averaged out over the terms of the contracts:

Michigan: $173.8M over 15 years = $11.59M/year
Ohio State: $252M over 15 years = $16.8M/year
Tennessee: $35M over 8 years = $4.38M/year

Reactions: 1 person

Wow, that's shocking. Is Nike really worth the millions that we left Adidas with? When you're talking several million dollars, then that brand had better be getting the recruits.

Good grief!!!! Is UM and OSU that much more popular of a brand than UT!!?? I am shocked! I must be living in a cocoon and have no idea how little UT is nationally perceived.

Humble pie brothers

Reactions: 2 people
not that we're swiss cheese or anything, but Michigan and Ohio St. are national brands in and of themselves.

they're "worth" more. at least in the eyes of those that are writing the checks anyway....

I don't have the data but Ohio State is most likely top 3 in national popularity.

Michigan is probably up there too, but I attribute their deal more to one man. Jim Harbaugh. Everyone is watching to see how he does IMO.

Good grief!!!! Is UM and OSU that much more popular of a brand than UT!!?? I am shocked! I must be living in a cocoon and have no idea how little UT is nationally perceived.

Humble pie brothers

Population probably play a role in this. Michigan and Ohio are much bigger states than Tennessee. Thus, I'm guessing there are a lot more Michigan and Ohio State fans to buy Nike apparel.

Both these schools are also highly ranked in academics compared to UT. I think the combination of that with an elite athletic program is the reason behind the Huge deal.

Bet these numbers will really impress those recruits!

Reactions: 3 people
Hmm... well... proportionately those deals are way bigger than the value of those schools compared to ours. From the WSJ, in 2015 (in millions):

1. OSU - $946.61
3. MU - $811.3
13. UT - $401.98

How Much Is Your Favorite College Football Team Worth? - WSJ

But in value PER YEAR...

OSU $946.61M/$16.8M = 56/1 ratio
UM $811.3M/$11.59M = 70/1 ratio
UT $401.98M/$4.38M = 92/1 ratio

So OSU getting more bang for their buck in every way here. Being near the top for a very long time sure helps.

But in value PER YEAR...

OSU $946.61M/$16.8M = 56/1 ratio
UM $811.3M/$11.59M = 70/1 ratio
UT $401.98M/$4.38M = 92/1 ratio

So OSU getting more bang for their buck in every way here. Being near the top for a very long time sure helps.

Benefit of playing year after year in a comparatively soft conference as well as the sheer numbers of the population and constant stroking by the media.

That's alright, we will renegotiate after we win the NC:rock2:

Reactions: 3 people
Perhaps the other schools have better negotiators? I wouldn't expect on purely objective grounds that Michigan and OSU should get 3 to 4 times more per year.

Population probably play a role in this. Michigan and Ohio are much bigger states than Tennessee. Thus, I'm guessing there are a lot more Michigan and Ohio State fans to buy Nike apparel.

Ohio has 11 million people
Michigan has 9 million
Tennessee has 6.8 million

It shouldn't be that big of a difference with Michigan

Simply add this to the cost of hiring bad coaches and watching your programs fall out of popularity. At one time Tennessee could have done much better but losing seasons in 5 out of 6 yrs (hell I cant believe I just wrote it) will damage a brand.

Michigan is as much to do about basketball as it is football as the fab five was a cult factor for many years that built a fan base of Michigan wear even though they aren't fans of the teams. Ohio State has won two NCs in the past 15 yrs and both are considerably larger population states.

Sweet deal Nike made with the bonuses knowing they will never have to pay those at to those schools in the near future.

Trump must not have negotiated the Tennessee deal.

You have people in power on both sides (Cheek and Hart) working for special interests (Florida and Alabama) and they don't care about Tennessee. They're stupid and make bad deals.

We need to make Tennessee great again.

(this is meant to be purely humorous. If it bothers you....Lighten up, Francis)

Reactions: 4 people
Trump must not have negotiated the Tennessee deal.

You have people in power on both sides (Cheek and Hart) working for special interests (Florida and Alabama) and they don't care about Tennessee. They're stupid and make bad deals.

We need to make Tennessee great again.

(this is meant to be purely humorous. If it bothers you....Lighten up, Francis)
That's not far off from what some of these nimrods are thinking.

Simply add this to the cost of hiring bad coaches and watching your programs fall out of popularity. At one time Tennessee could have done much better but losing seasons in 5 out of 6 yrs (hell I cant believe I just wrote it) will damage a brand.

There's a little truth to that, but honestly, I'm not sure we can win enough short-term to have a brand as valuable as Michigan, OSU, Notre Dame etc. Some schools are just national brands going back 50 years.

There's a little truth to that, but honestly, I'm not sure we can win enough short-term to have a brand as valuable as Michigan, OSU, Notre Dame etc. Some schools are just national brands going back 50 years.

I wonder where Alabama shows up on this list? Are they a national brand like UM OSU and ND? I have always thought that the only people who like Alabama are from that state or who went to school there.

VN Store

Back