Why no NFL draft buzz for Brian Randolph?

AboveAllNations

The NFL draft starts tonight, but I haven't seen Brian Randolph's name included on any draft prospect lists anywhere on the internet. CBS has a list of the top 25 safety prospects, but no Randolph. Some other lists (like Walter Camp and Bleacher Report) have LaDarrell McNeil listed as a fringe prospect behind 20+ other safeties, but again there's no mention of Brian Randolph.

What the heck is going on here? I have to believe that NFL scouts know exactly who Randolph is, but why aren't any "draft experts" in the media paying attention to a 4-year starter from an SEC team with sub-4.5 speed? Randolph has played much better over the past two seasons than either LaDarrell McNeil or Justin Coleman, who went on to start for New England last year.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: 4 people
I can recall at least two occasions during our game last year where Randolph was woefully out of position leading to big plays, including the late Callaway TD.

That's not to say he's not NFL material, because I didn't follow him all that closely in other UT games.

And it's not to say he won't succeed in the NFL, because where you're drafted...or if you're drafted...isn't the end all, be all.

All that said he seems like he's a good kid who battled back from a nasty knee injury.

Reactions: 4 people
Anyone that picks him up will be getting a steal imo. Someone with his measurables, experience, production, and no red flags ?! Can you ask for a better prospect ?! Taking off my orange stunna shades for just a moment, definitely a potential draft steal ! GBO !!!

Reactions: 3 people
Regardless of where he goes I think he will make the team. He's really well-rounded. 4 year starter, team leader, 4.4 speed, prototypical size and no off-field issues.

If I had to nail down one weakness it would perhaps be his coverage skills, although he was great in centerfield on deep routes there were times where he let guys like Gehrig Deiter from Bowling Green out into the peremeter after they had beaten the man-to-man.

Honestly I'm shocked that his stock isn't higher either, though.

Reactions: 1 person
I can recall at least two occasions during our game last year where Randolph was woefully out of position leading to big plays, including the late Callaway TD.

That's not to say he's not NFL material, because I didn't follow him all that closely in other UT games.

And it's not to say he won't succeed in the NFL, because where you're drafted...or if you're drafted...isn't the end all, be all.

All that said he seems like he's a good kid who battled back from a nasty knee injury.

Damnit LW, stop saying logical and coherent things! It makes it harder for me to rip on you. Put your troll cap back on, Reptile.

Agreeing with a Gator feels very unnatural and it screws with my head, making me feel like I don't know myself as well as I thought.

Last edited:
The NFL draft starts tonight, but I haven't seen Brian Randolph's name included on any draft prospect lists anywhere on the internet. CBS has a list of the top 25 safety prospects, but no Randolph. Some other lists (like Walter Camp and Bleacher Report) have LaDarrell McNeil listed as a fringe prospect behind 20+ other safeties, but again there's no mention of Brian Randolph.

What the heck is going on here? I have to believe that NFL scouts know exactly who Randolph is, but why aren't any "draft experts" in the media paying attention to a 4-year starter from an SEC team with sub-4.5 speed? Randolph has played much better over the past two seasons than either LaDarrell McNeil or Justin Coleman, who went on to start for New England last year.

Any thoughts?

There has to be something we don't see or know about holding him back. I just cannot imagine an actual 4.4 kid with his experience at safety not getting some consideration from somebody.

Reactions: 3 people
There has to be something we don't see or know about holding him back. I just cannot imagine an actual 4.4 kid with his experience at safety not getting some consideration from somebody.

I have heard by many in the know that the safety position is very deep this year and that safeties in general aren't being considered as highly as they used to be. Could have something to do with it but honestly I don't know for sure

I would be really surprised if someone doesn't take a flyer on him on Saturday. He doesn't have the greatest ball skills, but that can be taught. He has all the physical tools you could want.

I know the Ravens and Steelers need some new secondary blood. I would love for him to get picked up by the Ravens and do well. Not so much the Steelers, but I'd still wish him a good career. lol

He is just not that good. Too many times he was out of position.

He actually had a very solid college career in the SEC....4 year starter, ton of tackles, a handful of big plays, and was the leader on the backend of our defense since he was a freshman.

As far as being out of position, I just assume that a team will think they can teach a very bright, high character kid with good size, great speed and 99th percentile type strength where they want him in which situations in their defense. You can teach a smart kid scheme and positioning......you can't teach him 4.4 speed and 31 reps of 225 on the bench.

Reactions: 12 people
He actually had a very solid college career in the SEC....4 year starter, ton of tackles, a handful of big plays, and was the leader on the backend of our defense since he was a freshman.

As far as being out of position, I just assume that a team will think they can teach a very bright, high character kid with good size, great speed and 99th percentile type strength where they want him in which situations in their defense. You can teach a smart kid scheme and positioning......you can't teach him 4.4 speed and 31 reps of 225 on the bench.

Also, as far as being out of position, it's extremely difficult to tell while watching film if secondary players in a zone scheme are out of position or not. I was just listening to some nfl types talk about that on the nfl network this morning. We have no way of knowing what or where his responsibility was on any given play or who got missed an assignment that he was trying to manage, or if he in fact was out of position.

Reactions: 5 people
He has undrafted free agent written all over him as do most of Tennessee's seniors. There should be quite a few picked up right after the last pick Saturday.

Reactions: 2 people
Also, as far as being out of position, it's extremely difficult to tell while watching film if secondary players in a zone scheme are out of position or not. I was just listening to some nfl types talk about that on the nfl network this morning. We have no way of knowing what or where his responsibility was on any given play or who got missed an assignment that he was trying to manage, or if he in fact was out of position.

I agree. Doesn't make sense that he was the "quarterback of the secondary", that he was vital to getting everybody lined up and in the right positions themselves, yet he was often out of position. Likely much more to it. I know for a fact that he was not out of position on the last play of the Georgia game.

He's simply not that good. Remember against Florida his mistakes allowed them to score 14 points. He whiffed on Kelvin Taylor for that long run in the first quarter that set up the first TD. Then in the 4th he messed up in coverage on Antonio Callway setting up the last TD.

All in all he's not a draft worthy prospect.

Not really. Safety is a very instictual position. Its why a kid like Todd Kelly Jr. is always around the football even without great athleticism.

Randolph is simply not good enough. Just because he played alot of games at UT while we were a doormat means nothing.

I expect our safety play to be 10x better this year that he and McNeil are gone. Nice kids but not elite players. Gaulden and TK are huge upgrades.

Not really. Safety is a very instictual position. Its why a kid like Todd Kelly Jr. is always around the football even without great athleticism.

Randolph is simply not good enough. Just because he played alot of games at UT while we were a doormat means nothing.

I expect our safety play to be 10x better this year that he and McNeil are gone. Nice kids but not elite players. Gaulden and TK are huge upgrades.

I'm guessing you're not athletically gifted.

Reactions: 8 people

From someone who played a little safety: you, sir, are full of it. Playing safety requires reading the offense first so that you know whether it's a run, what coverage switches are coming on a pass, which switches are occurring based on routes, etc. That's not to say that instincts have little to do with it, but safety is the most knowledge intensive position in the secondary. Nothing against corners and nickels.

Edit: and saying Todd Kelly doesn't have good athleticism...I'll not be having what you're drinking. He might not be Cordarrelle Patterson, but he's plenty athletic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back