I watched a replay of the 1990 Notre Dame game...

jasonvols2.2

First of all, that was when I was hooked as a Tennessee fan. Second of all, a normal DB would not have made that pick. That guy had some leaping ability.

Finally, the Rocket made our D look pretty slow. Holy cow, that was a hell of an athlete. Notre Dame has not had that level of talent since that season.

[YouTube]http://youtu.be/IAUeSvIJKUE[/YouTube]

I prefer the 91 game. 😀

Reactions: 3 people
First of all, that was when I was hooked as a Tennessee fan. Second of all, a normal DB would not have made that pick. That guy had some leaping ability.

Finally, the Rocket made our D look pretty slow. Holy cow, that was a hell of an athlete. Notre Dame has not had that level of talent since that season.

That's the game that AK said that he got baited on the throw.

That was a tough loss.

Jump higher Vols.

Reactions: 2 people
I was in the Marine Corps stationed in Okinawa, Japan when that game was played. I remembering listening to the game on the radio in my car. I cut off the radio late in the 4th
quarter because I did not want to hear us lose the game.
I also remember watching the U.T. vs. Colorado game that ended in a tie on television one season while stationed in Japan. Hated that it ended in a tie. I clearly remember that the game was played in an stadium that was also used as a baseball field. The field had patches of dirt on it, where a baseball infield would have been.

I'll never forget that game. I about froze to death. Wore T-shirt and a Tennessee hooded sweatshirt (could have used 2 more). I learned that game, that contrary to an assumption, that being surrounded by 100,000 people won't keep you warm. Upper deck and metal bleachers...I have never been unprepared since.

Great game; except for losing.

It was a great game. As I recall, we had successful run the pass play that got intercepted, and that sealed our defeat, not long before that key moment. In other words, we went to the well once too often, and I think the ND DB recognized the play. Kind of like running the QB draw in the 4th quarter, and our last series, against florida last year: Uh, you're not going to fool a good team running a play they've seen multiple times before.

Didn't we have a bad loss to bama that year too?

I can answer my own question: Yes, that was the year of the infamous 9-6 loss to bama. Racked up points all year, great offense, and choked against bama. Wasn't Fulmer the offensive coordinator that year?

It was a great game. As I recall, we had successful run the pass play that got intercepted, and that sealed our defeat, not long before that key moment. In other words, we went to the well once too often, and I think the ND DB recognized the play. Kind of like running the QB draw in the 4th quarter, and our last series, against florida last year: Uh, you're not going to fool a good team running a play they've seen multiple times before.

Yeah, that was the worst Bama loss ever.

I can answer my own question: Yes, that was the year of the infamous 9-6 loss to bama. Racked up points all year, great offense, and choked against bama. Wasn't Fulmer the offensive coordinator that year?

I thought that the 9 - 6 loss to Alabama was in 2005 when our full back ran 10 yards ahead of the nearest defender yet fumbled the ball as he crossed the end zone and we lost.
Wasn't he a Knoxville kid by the name of Anderson?????

I remember that game because I was in Iraq and it was being played the day that I was leaving. When I got on the helicopter at my outpost to fly to an Air Force base the game was at half time.
When I arrived at the Air Force base in Iraq, I ran to a phone and called my son and he said that U.T. lost by a score of 9 - 6.

I thought that the 9 - 6 loss to Alabama was in 2005 when our full back ran 10 yards ahead of the nearest defender yet fumbled the ball as he crossed the end zone and we lost.
Wasn't he a Knoxville kid by the name of Anderson?????

I remember that game because I was in Iraq and it was being played the day that I was leaving. When I got on the helicopter at my outpost to fly to an Air Force base the game was at half time.
When I arrived at the Air Force base in Iraq, I ran to a phone and called my son and he said that U.T. lost by a score of 9 - 6.
9-6 was 1990.

the one you're thinking of was actually 6-3.

Reactions: 1 person
Notre Dame had an All American db that year named Todd Lyght (later of the Rams) but Alvin Harper beat him twice for TD's... Carl Pickens also had a great game and recovered the onside kick that lead to our last drive. That was a classic game.

Jim Nance called that game.
I was a freshman. Camped out in front of the UC for tickets. Awesome atmosphere!

Nance called the worst play: here comes the Rocket...he's got the corner.... Look out....good bye.... Touchdown Notre Dame!

His intro in CBS: welcome to mammoth Neyland Stadium!

Was so glad we got payback in 91!

the 1979 game against ND at Neyland was incredible. The goal line stance in the south endzone was as epic as it gets.

The university put extra student bleachers in for this game...if I remember correctly. I was sitting in section D1 on almost the 50yd line in that student section. The rocket ran right past us on that return. Heartbreaking. Whats all this say?...I'm old

Jim Nance called that game.
I was a freshman. Camped out in front of the UC for tickets. Awesome atmosphere!

Nance called the worst play: here comes the Rocket...he's got the corner.... Look out....good bye.... Touchdown Notre Dame!

His intro in CBS: welcome to mammoth Neyland Stadium!

Was so glad we got payback in 91!

I was a FR., too, back in '90. I remember camping out for at the UC. Times are different now.

Even though UT lost, what a great atmosphere.

Yes, 9-6 loss on Philip Doyle's 48 yard fg late. We were supposed to win that game and the boys just didn't play well. The stadium was so quiet during the kick that I heard the thud of the ball when Doyle struck it from the upper deck.

Was also at the ND game which was awesome. Great game....Raghib Ismail, Ricky Watters were studs. Just the whole ND mystique in our stadium made that game special. Guys played very well, just couldn't make one more play. Kelly was outstanding that day.

the 1979 game against ND at Neyland was incredible. The goal line stance in the south endzone was as epic as it gets.

Was that the one when Puki and Barksdale stood up Vegas Ferguson short of the goal line? I didn't have a ticket but was just outside the stadium when it happened. :loco:

Was that the one when Puki and Barksdale stood up Vegas Ferguson short of the goal line? I didn't have a ticket but was just outside the stadium when it happened. :loco:

Yes it was. I was 16 and had been going to games since 75. By far the best game I'd seen so far. Stood Vegas up and the place went wild

That was one of those games where you suddenly realized you were in the stands witnessing one of the greatest college football games ever played. Both teams gave 125% and left everything on the field.

The handshakes at the end were heartfelt respect between warriors.

The sad part was that one team had to win and one had to lose.

Went to both this game and the Bama game that year. Couple of very tough losses for a young Vol Fan

I was too young (or not born in the case of 79) to remember any of these Notre Dame games, but I've seen them on YouTube. Classic slugfests. I wish we would schedule a home and home with them.

VN Store

Back