ESPN: SEC post-spring position rankings: Running backs

The Artful Dodger

Fist Baller
2. Tennessee: Jalen Hurd might be the best back no one is really talking about in the SEC. The tall, physical runner has 2,187 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns in two seasons. The shifty Alvin Kamara provides a nice change-of-pace with his speed and athleticism. He also worked on his blocking this spring. He hit nearly 700 yards and had seven touchdowns last year. Sophomore John Kelly also showed a lot of breakaway ability this spring.

- Could argue that UT should be #1 if you consider the running ability of Dobbs, and LSU's oline will be really good, but Tennessee's should be too far behind. The Key to UT and LSU's success with the running game will be the ability of Dobbs/Harris to generate some type of down-field passing game so defenses can't stack the box.

Reactions: 5 people
They stacked the box last year, and still had the best rushing O since 51 I think it was. Not to mention our Oline could be much improved this year.

Reactions: 8 people
Hurd, Kamara, Dobbs. The three headed monster.

ghidrah.jpg

Reactions: 13 people
Exactly my point. Imagine the rushing statistics if the defense has to respect Dobbs' arm.

Imagine the rushing stats if teams DIDN'T respect Dobbs ability to keep the read option?

Our RBs rushing prowess is as much a result of Dobbs ability to keep on the read option as their own ability. Look no further than what has happened to Auburn's rushing attack without a running QB like Nick Marshall.

You guys need to stop acting like Dobbs is the problem. He brings more to this team than anyone else on the roster. We woulda been lucky to win 6 games without him last year.

Reactions: 13 people
Imagine the rushing stats if teams DIDN'T respect Dobbs ability to keep the read option?

Our RBs rushing prowess is as much a result of Dobbs ability to keep on the read option as their own ability. Look no further than what has happened to Auburn's rushing attack without a running QB like Nick Marshall.

You guys need to stop acting like Dobbs is the problem. He brings more to this team than anyone else on the roster. We woulda been lucky to win 6 games without him last year.

The Clawfense comes to mind.

Reactions: 1 person

Nobody is acting like Dobbs is "the problem", he's not, he's outstanding, especially in the running game. All anyone has ever said about Josh is that he has a weakness with his throwing accuracy, which is the truth.

Also, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I've heard Swain discuss our running game efficiency in reverse of what you've said. He said it very much cuts both ways....that one of the reasons Josh has so many running lanes is because of the defense's respect for Hurd.

So, while I absolutely agree with you that Dobbs is essential to the running game with his outstanding ability to keep it and go and be a dynamic playmaker on the ground, it's also true that he himself benefits from having Hurd (and Kamara), especially Hurd since he's the workhorse, in the backfield with him. Whole lotta synergy going on back there.

Reactions: 21 people
Nobody is acting like Dobbs is "the problem", he's not, he's outstanding, especially in the running game. All anyone has ever said about Josh is that he has a weakness with his throwing accuracy, which is the truth.

Also, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I've heard Swain discuss our running game efficiency in reverse of what you've said. He said it very much cuts both ways....that one of the reasons Josh has so many running lanes is because of the defense's respect for Hurd.

So, while I absolutely agree with you that Dobbs is essential to the running game with his outstanding ability to keep it and go and be a dynamic playmaker on the ground, it's also true that he himself benefits from having Hurd (and Kamara), especially Hurd since he's the workhorse, in the backfield with him. Whole lotta synergy going on back there.

Pretty simple and well thought out explanation.

Reactions: 1 person
No danger of that happening unfortunately.

Even assuming Dobbs doesn't improve at all (this is just his second offseason as the undisputed starter), our passing game will benefit from finally having some depth/continuity on the offensive line and maturation at WR from elite talents like Preston Williams, Josh Malone, and Jauan Jennings. All of those guys are going to be single-covered the whole game, if defenses don't want to get run over by Hurd and Kamara.

We're going to be an explosive offense this year.

Reactions: 4 people
His completion percentage actually went down 4 points last year...

Well ask yourself this question. Would you rather have the freshman version of Dobbs or the Junior version? Don't get me wrong, he has flaws and needs improve this year. If you can't see the strides he has made, you just don't want to see them. His performance in the Georgia game stands out the most to me.

Reactions: 3 people
Well ask yourself this question. Would you rather have the freshman version of Dobbs or the Junior version? Don't get me wrong, he has flaws and needs improve this year. If you can't see the strides he has made, you just don't want to see them. His performance in the Georgia game stands out the most to me.

I do think that he has shown improvement, but, people act like it is leaps and bounds. Players should improve from a Fr to a Jr. I have stated that JD is closer to Brandon Harris at LSU, than DW at Clemson, and to date, I will stand by that. If I am wrong after this year, I will gladly eat my crow with Tabasco sauce. But, people do need to acknowledge that his inability to hit the most basic of throws has cost us as well.

Imagine if everyone steps up their game and plays to potential. How are teams going to defend Hurd, Kamara, Malone/Williams/Smith/Jennings, Croom/Wolf and Dobbs all at once? We've got lethal weapons all over the field... and they're two-deep at key positions.

The possibility of everything finally coming together is what has UT in the preseason Top 10ish. If it all clicks, Team 120 will be scary good.

Imagine if everyone steps up their game and plays to potential. How are teams going to defend Hurd, Kamara, Malone/Williams/Smith/Jennings, Croom/Wolf and Dobbs all at once? We've got lethal weapons all over the field... and they're two-deep at key positions.

The possibility of everything finally coming together is what has UT in the preseason Top 10ish. If it all clicks, Team 120 will be scary good.

The problem with our "amazing" receivers is they're usually good for 1 or 2 catches a game. This is a zone read run 1st offense and having some sophomore WRs and a Jr that hasn't lived up to potential isn't going to change that.

Football is still a team game. JD did enough for us to be in every game last year. Kicking and defense, youth and injury are what kept us out of the play offs. The constant JD criticism considering what he has accomplished on and off the field. They are student athletes. How many of us could balance the pressure that is on our quarterback ?

The problem with our "amazing" receivers is they're usually good for 1 or 2 catches a game. This is a zone read run 1st offense and having some sophomore WRs and a Jr that hasn't lived up to potential isn't going to change that.

OK..so no one improves?

Well crap.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back