Former Vol Coming out with New Book on his time at Tennessee

Which book Cover is better?

• Total voters

govols105

13095761_1165950820090919_4398356488821523627_n.jpg

Which cover looks the best. This just the concept for the final approval of the book cover. B.T.W I am excited and honored to have Tennessee's All-time leading tackler, Earnest Fields write the foreword for the book.

The release date for the book is September 3, 2016. I am still working distribution outlets to carry the book.

Tentatively, the official book launch party will be in Knoxville homecoming weekend.

Floyd asked me to post this here. Hope it gets some interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 59 people
Did he really need a book to tell this story?
Seems to me a pamphlet would pretty much cover The Miracle at South Bend.
I remember that game.
It was fun to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Anyone want to elaborate for all the youngins here

I would say the two most exciting and best played Tennessee games that I've ever seen are 1990 & 1991 vs Notre Dame... On the last play of the 1st half in '91 with Notre Dame leading 31-7 their kicker Craig Hentrich attempted a short field goal that was blocked by Tennessee's Daryl Hardy. Floyd Miley scooped it up and ran 88 yards with it for a TD that turned the game around. Craig Hentrich was hurt on the play which would loom large at the end of the game. That was Nov. 9th, 1991. Johnny Majors was fired exactly a year after one of his biggest victories at Tennessee.

Reactions: 6 people
25 years ago. OMG.

Unreal. Hadn't been married or living on my own long. Remember that Saturday well. Hanging at the apt with my young hottie doing nothing in particular. Actually was recording game on VHS and skipping commercials.

Beautiful cool sunny day in Chattanooga. Game got ugly and in a big hurry. I was disappointed after coming within a breath of beating the mighty Irish the year before. Thot we were gonna get 60 hung on us at first.

Left VCR recording and took my car to local car wash because I couldn't bear to see it. Came in and pulled up my chair in front of that crappy TV as ND was about to hang another TD to go up 38-7 at 1/2. Iirc, their QB Mirer killed the scoring drive by an inexplicable scramble ending with a Smith/Mims 15 yard sack. They were forced to settle for a FG to end the 1st 1/2. That's when Shon Walker(?) [Edit:Darryl Hardy] and Miley worked their magic. Furthermore somebody crushed the kickers ankle in the chaos. That left the walk-on backup to try the game winner.

What a glorious and amazing 2nd half it was. May still have the tape of that somewhere. I forgot to turn record on after commercial when Dale Carter intercepted. Thankfully, Youtube has it all now.

Last edited:
Unreal. Hadn't been married or living on my own long. Remember that Saturday well. Hanging at the apt with my young hottie doing nothing in particular. Actually was recording game on VHS and skipping commercials.

Beautiful cool sunny day in Chattanooga. Game got ugly and in a big hurry. I was disappointed after coming within a breath of beating the mighty Irish the year before. Thot we were gonna get 60 hung on us at first.

Left VCR recording and took my car to local car wash because I couldn't bear to see it. Came in and pulled up my chair in front of that crappy TV as ND was about to hang another TD to go up 38-7 at 1/2. Iirc, their QB Mirer killed the scoring drive by an inexplicable scramble ending with a Smith/Mims 15 yard sack. They were forced to settle for a FG to end the 1st 1/2. That's when Shon Walker(?) and Miley worked their magic. Furthermore somebody crushed the kickers ankle in the chaos.

What a glorious and amazing 2nd half it was. May still have the tape of that somewhere. I forgot to turn record on after commercial when Dale Carter intercepted. Thankfully, Youtube has it all now.

Daryl Hardy had the block (he had many of them for Tenn)... 1991 was Notre Dame's 1st season with home games on NBC and Dick Enberg and Bill Walsh had the call with John Dockery as the sideline reporter. They weren't exactly impartial as I recall. If you were listening to John Ward's call of the last play, you would have heard him call it like this: "The kick is good... No! The kick is no good...The kick is NO GOOD!" When he retired in '98, he cited that as the worst call of his career and biggest regret.

Reactions: 2 people
I mentioned in another thread that the Miley return was one of John Ward's finest play calls. Starts at the .55 mark.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOXrjUGBIIM[/YOUTUBE]

Reactions: 9 people
I was ten years old and watching the game with my dad (die hard UT fan)and my papa on mom's side (die hard ND fan). As a boy on the cusp of understanding football and it's place in life.

I made that road trip. On the drive from Chicago airport we saw the Northern lights over Indiana farmland. An omen of a good weekend. Irish fans were great, changed my dislike of the Irish to this day.

VN Store

Back