ESPN: How Hurd can win Heisman...

Complete back. Will set the all-time UT rushing record and then some. Even if he doesn't make the Heisman finals, he will be a legend on The Hill, and one of the best backs in the draft next year.

Reactions: 3 people
Best complete back in the SEC. His blocking ability and catching out of the backfield will get him highly drafted, not including his rushing numbers.

Reactions: 1 person
Great article. Only thing I question is the paragraph toward the end saying that some scouts knock Jalen for not being maximum effort each week. Are they kidding? This kid runs like somebody just killed his mother and he's trying to get revenge every time he touches it. The ONLY thing left for Hurd to show is an ability to be a better open field runner who can hit a homerun at any point. But nobody should ever question this kid's effort.

Reactions: 23 people
Our SID hasn't done a very good job of promoting our marquee players. Start the campaign right now !

I like how the article correctly points out his versatility (big back with good receiving and blocking skills, the pros will like that) but I'm not sure how it made the case for a Heisman run. In fact it pointed out how other players have had far more impressive numbers up to this point. The story points out he's not broken 200ys in a game when in fact he's only broken 150 once. It also points out where he has yet to record a single rush over 48yds. Those numbers have to go up, quite a bit actually, before Heisman talk becomes a consideration.

Having said all the above Hurd can have a fantastic year and easily segue to the pros and not be a Heisman finalist.

Reactions: 5 people
That Rittenburg fella better watch his back. I didn't think ESPN allowed fluff pieces for Tennessee players.

Hurd does everything well. He has a complete game. His one weakness is that extra gear in the open field. If it turns out he's got that, and shows it this year, then he can absolutely put himself in the Heisman discussion.

If it turns out he simply doesn't have that gear, then he'll still have a great year. It just won't come with a bunch of hardware.

Reactions: 4 people
With WCW out of business, UT should be able to appropriate the moniker "The Total Package". If necessary they can pay off Luger or give him a wave from the 50 or something.

I've still got a case of butt hurt over the outcome of Peyton's run for the Heisman and that award has been little more than a chunk of metal award for a popularity contest winner.

Do I think Jalen is Heisman good? Absolutely.

Will I hold my breath for him to win it? Nope.

He will do great things regardless of anything Heisman related.

:rock:
GBO!

Reactions: 5 people
Hurd does everything well. He has a complete game. His one weakness is that extra gear in the open field. If it turns out he's got that, and shows it this year, then he can absolutely put himself in the Heisman discussion.

If it turns out he simply doesn't have that gear, then he'll still have a great year. It just won't come with a bunch of hardware.

I think he has the gear, just don't think he has the instincts.....he has looked a little lost the few times he's gotten to the second level his first two years and he struggled with shaking guys and seems to seek would-be tacklers out rather than try to avoid them. He's a legit 4.5 guy, maybe even a little better. He just hasn't shown a great comfort in the open field like the great ones have IMO.

Last edited:
The path to the Heisman for Hurd:

Win the East

Win the SEC

Win at least one game in the playoff

Gotta be more that IMO. If all that happens but he only averages 4.6 ypc and less than 100 yards rushing per game, I can't see him winning it.

Reactions: 2 people
Gotta be more that IMO. If all that happens but he only averages 4.6 ypc and less than 100 yards rushing per game, I can't see him winning it.

The last few backs that have won it has averaged well over 5 per carry I believe. They have also had great OLs to run behind. The OL should be solid this year so hopefully Hurd can get over that 5 per carry mark. I won't hold my breathe for him winning it, he absolutely has the potential to do it though.

There is certainly precedence for having a solid season at the same time your team has to enjoy extraordinary success. But look at all the same faces coming back to the limelight this year? Deshaun Watson, Christian McCaffrey, Leonard Fournette, Dalvon Cook, Baker Mayfield and J T Barrett.

Unfortunately for all those looking to get in the mix this season, this is the most loaded field I have seen with legitimate contenders.

Reactions: 2 people
I think he has the gear, just don't think he has the instincts.....he has looked a little lost the few times he's gotten to the second level his first two years and he struggled with shaking guys and seems to seek would-be tacklers out rather than try to avoid them. He's a legit 4.5 guy, maybe even a little better. He just hasn't shown a great comfort in the open field like the great ones have IMO.

My guess is as a taller and bigger runner he's worried about safeties and corners diving at his knees. It's a lot harder for them to do that if he initiates contact. Would love to see him cut up the sideline instead of up the middle whenever he breaks into the 2nd level. Dobbs is really good at it so maybe he can give some pointers

Agree. Tough, hard nosed runner who can plow would be tacklers, but I've seen him get run down from behind A few times. Sometimes by LBs.

VN Store

Back