An Extraordinary Event prior to the Funeral of an Honorary Member of Vol Nation

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
I have not posted on Vol Nation for more than two months, due to the rapidly deteriorating health of my 94-year-old mother. To quote the immortal words of John Gillespie Magee, Jr., Rosalie Schmittou succumbed to a decade-long battle with Alzheimer’s Disease, “slipped the surly bonds of Earth” on April 15, 2016, “put out [her] hand and touched the face of God.” On the night before Mom was laid to rest, something truly extraordinary happened at the funeral home, which may be of particular interest to those of you who share our fanatical devotion to Tennessee football. At approximately 5:55 pm, I was sitting in the quietude of the visitation room, where Mom lay in state, her coffin resplendently draped with a Tennessee orange fleece blanket. As you can imagine, it was a time of heightened emotional and spiritual sensitivity. At that moment, however, I had no expectations other than the opportunity to put the final editorial touches on the eulogy I would deliver for Mom the following day.

To my utter astonishment, I began to hear faintly but clearly the strains of “Fight, Vols, Fight,” followed by “Rocky Top.” These were no garden-variety renditions of those songs. They bore the unmistakable signatures of the Pride of the Southland Band. As a UT grad and fan of UT football for almost 50 years, I am thoroughly familiar with the context within which those songs are performed in the few, short minutes that immediately precede kickoff, just before the giant “T” opens and the Volunteers race onto the field.

I went to the visitation room entrance and, as the music continued to play, attempted on several occasions to identify its possible source. It seemed to be most audible through a ceiling vent to the left of the door. I have no idea how long the music lasted, but I asked several people if they heard it. Bob, my brother, said that he had heard nothing out of the ordinary. However, Phyllis Powell, one of the two visitation hosts then on duty, said that she clearly heard “Rocky Top.” After the music finally faded, I walked over to my deceased mother, gently stroked her hair and said, “Mom, are you trying to communicate something?”

The following morning, I asked Philip Charland, the Funeral Director, if, to his knowledge, any paranormal activity had ever been reported at their funeral home. He said, “No.” After informing him of what happened, Philip told me that they had, indeed, laid to rest a Tennessee fan on Tuesday, April 19th, but that the service was performed at another funeral home. Although they did have a recording of “Rocky Top” on file, it was not preceded by “Fight, Vols, Fight,” nor was it on the loop that was played at Harpeth Hills the evening prior to Mom’s funeral. I was also informed that nobody was ever in the upstairs offices at the time I heard this music. Nor was music ever played on cemetery grounds, except for a lone bugler at the occasional military funeral, and those never occurred after 3 pm. In short, the staff of Harpeth Hills Memory Gardens, Funeral Home & Cremation Center could not have been responsible for this music, particularly at the time I heard it.

To what or whom should these ethereal melodies be attributed? I don’t know. I must say, however, that their timing, although completely unexpected, was impeccable. Never before had I witnessed paranormal activity of any kind. Given the context of the event, however, its message was utterly perfect in terms of appropriateness to the recipient.

I can certainly understand why anybody would be skeptical of this narrative. As God is my witness, however, I have faithfully recounted the events of April 19, 2016, without exaggeration or embellishment whatsoever.

In relating this experience to persons who attended Mom’s funeral, I stated that Mom was “Pennsylvanian by birth, Tennessean by choice, but, through her endless patience in tolerating our fanatical devotion to Tennessee football, she EARNED her status as an honorary member of the Big Orange Nation.” After completion of graveside services and interment, I asked Dr. Bettye Davidson, the officiating minister, if, in her professional career, she had ever experienced or heard of anything remotely similar to the events I have just described. She replied simply, “No, Doug, you are one of a kind.”

P.S. If you choose to dismiss this account as fiction, please respect my mother’s death by refraining from comment.

Reactions: 27 people
My empathy regarding your Mother's passing. My own Mother is 91. It's not a day I look forward to.

Regarding the music, I would say there are many things in the Universe that we do not understand. That doesn't mean there isn't an explanation.

Reactions: 1 person
First, my sympathies to you in the loss of your Mother. Sounds like you have some great memories to comfort you in your grief.

I'm a firm believer in that those who pass on to their next life are capable of sending us messages. When Dale Earnhardt passed, the man who took his seat in his famous #3 racecar won in only his 3rd outing in said car. The next time NASCAR raced at the place Dale lost his life(Daytona) his son and name sake won. Too many things happened to allow me to believe it all was coincidence.

Just this past week, a rainbow appeared across Paisley Park just hours after it's occupant, Prince, had passed away.

What a lovely memory your Mother left you.

Reactions: 4 people
Very sorry on the loss of your mother. Idk if the deceased can communicate with us in anyway or not, but I do believe you heard what you say you did. Makes one wonder for sure.

First of all I want to say sorry for your loss op.
I believe your story 100 percent because I too had an unexplained thing happen shortly after the death of one of my loved ones.

REX, sorry for your loss. Many things are beyond our logical comprehension.

Sorry for your loss Rex...some things can't be explained, and I wouldn't search either.
You heard it for a reason

My best friend passed away 10 years ago, and the day we were to bury him a friend that is on the local police force had his radio with him and they had a call for a fire truck to come to the same cemetery where we were taking him because of a small fire in an equipment shed. We all just looked at each other and had a laugh. I told them he was already up to tricks. How many have heard of a cemetery catching on fire? As odd as it may sound, it helped me with the loss.

So sorry to hear about your mother. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease.

Sometimes messages are heard only by those for whom they are intended.

Reactions: 6 people
So sorry for your loss. Take comfort in that she can now watch the General lead all the Tennessee greats in endless practice and victories in the greatest stadium ever conceived. I know that Vol football will be in Heaven. It means too much to too many.

May God surround her in warmth and love forever.

Reactions: 2 people
I am so sorry for your loss. Tough, tough thing to go through as I know only too well.

But I also know this--if my family isn't playing Rocky Top at my visitation, I'll darn sure make sure to play it myself. I wouldn't be surprised if your mom felt the same way. It absolutely was a message no matter how it came about.

Rex, sorry for your loss. I lost my mom 2 years ago after a thankfully short 6 year battle with non-Alzheimer's dementia. Good rest her soul and peace be with you and your family.

Sorry for your loss. And I'm not discounting what you heard. We dont know what happens on the other side so she might have called in a favor. Sure, there might be a logical answer but sure is funny that it happen at just the right time. Take it and run with it.

You are the best poster this entire board has ever had, Rex. If you say it happened, then it happened.

My deepest condolences for the loss of your mother. My own mother is barely hanging on at the age of 90 in the exact vicinity of Harpeth Hills. My heart goes out to you. May God bless you and yours.

I'm sorry for your loss. Alzheimer’s is a horrible, horrible disease.

Sorry for your loss. I too lost my mother to Alzheimer's a few years ago and it is indeed a horrible illness. I have already apologized to my children for anything I may do or say to them in the future if I also become a victim of that horrible disease. God Bless

Rex _ my deepest condolences and sympathies on the passing of what I am most sure was a great person and mother.

I lost my own mom just over 11 years ago. She was a native of Bluff City and had always wanted my wife to see the snow in the mountains. The day of her burial we awoke to 2 inches of a pure white blanket...she was laid to rest on February 5th. This might not seem strange, but Feb 4th of that year had a high temperature of 65 and it reached 60 again that day...recorded overnight low at Tri-cities airport was supposedly 45...yet 2 inches of snow...Thanks Mom😊

So sorry to hear about your mother. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease.

Sometimes messages are heard only by those for whom they are intended.

I fully concur with your latter sentiment. I view this incident as a "privileged communication," regardless of its ultimate origin.

You are the best poster this entire board has ever had, Rex. If you say it happened, then it happened.

My deepest condolences for the loss of your mother. My own mother is barely hanging on at the age of 90 in the exact vicinity of Harpeth Hills. My heart goes out to you. May God bless you and yours.

Sam, you are too kind. I may now need to seek medical attention to relieve cranial swelling due to extremely high praise. All kidding aside, thank you very much for your kind words of praise and condolence.

VREX, post more. I'm sorry for your' loss and I miss your' vast knowledge concerning Vols history.

I will probably get back into the swing of Vol Nation again. However, there could be one more disruption in regular participation. It is looking more and more probable that I will be headed your way, specifically to the Billings area. Precisely what portion of the Last Best Place did you say that you currently reside in?

Incidentally, there are other Big Orange-related elements to this story. To quote a portion of the eulogy that I wrote for Mom's funeral, Bob, my brother, and I "would like to begin by thanking Philip Charland and Richard Coe, who serve, respectively, as Funeral Director and Head of Family Service at Harpeth Hills Memory Gardens. At 2 PM on Saturday, God informed us instantly that the final leg of Mom’s journey on this earth had been placed in precisely the right hands. When Philip greeted us, he was resplendently clad in the sacred colors of my alma meter, the University of Tennessee. Bob looked at Philip and said, “I like your tie.” Philip looked at my Tennessee warmup jacket and said, “I really like your jacket.” As you may have noted, Philip and I have reprised that auspicious moment with our respective wardrobes today."

VN Store

Back