Top 35 Plays of 2015: #17 – Todd Kelly Jr.’s Interception

If only he could have stayed on his feet! There was no one between him and the endzone.

He is a ball hawk and I'm crazy excited to have him starting. Only issue I have is that he had had a lot of open space on some of his picks that he just takes to the ground. Guess the flip side is every year we see defenders more focused on the big return and drop INTs that hit them in the hand.

... Just as the receiver was making his cut back inside, Kelly was jumping the angle route. The receiver slipped and Kelly was right there to make the interception.

Chalk up yet another one for our groundskeeper!

Agree with the sentiment about keeping his feet. OU game would have been a TD like another poster said. Did the same thing in the spring game on the second or third play, dove for the pick when he didn't have to dive.

The only pick I remember Berry ever dive for was when he picked off an out pass that would have otherwise been a worm burner about 7mm off the turf. It was so close to the ground they reviewed it several times and yep he got it. Most other EB picks had a great chance of going to the house.

TK needs to watch some EB highlights and know it is ok to advance the ball after a pick.

I hope Kelly (and the rest of the D) beasts out this year.

Thanks again for the posts Ace! It helps some of us football intelligence challenged folks!

I'm glad to see that Shoop prefers to use a true FS/SS rather than using safeties interchangeably like Jancek did. I have a feeling it might suit Kelly more and let him do what he does best, be a ballhawk.

Reactions: 2 people
Agree with the sentiment about keeping his feet. OU game would have been a TD like another poster said. Did the same thing in the spring game on the second or third play, dove for the pick when he didn't have to dive.

The only pick I remember Berry ever dive for was when he picked off an out pass that would have otherwise been a worm burner about 7mm off the turf. It was so close to the ground they reviewed it several times and yep he got it. Most other EB picks had a great chance of going to the house.

TK needs to watch some EB highlights and know it is ok to advance the ball after a pick.

A turnover is a turnover. I will never complain when we pickoff a throw

I'm glad to see that Shoop prefers to use a true FS/SS rather than using safeties interchangeably like Jancek did. I have a feeling it might suit Kelly more and let him do what he does best, be a ballhawk.

I think what TK does best is actually tackle. Looking at his size, doesn't TK probably project as a strong safety in the NFL? He just happens to also have hands and coverage instincts. TK's role might depend on who wins the other starting safety position between Gaulden, Berry, or maybe a freshman like Warrior. I'd say that Berry qualifies as a ball hawking playmaker, while Gaulden is apparently a tackling machine. If Berry wins, TK will probably play close to the line of scrimmage as run support; of its Gaulden, he's probably the last line of defense at FS. It depends.

I think what TK does best is actually tackle. Looking at his size, doesn't TK probably project as a strong safety in the NFL? He just happens to also have hands and coverage instincts. TK's role might depend on who wins the other starting safety position between Gaulden, Berry, or maybe a freshman like Warrior. I'd say that Berry qualifies as a ball hawking playmaker, while Gaulden is apparently a tackling machine. If Berry wins, TK will probably play close to the line of scrimmage as run support; of its Gaulden, he's probably the last line of defense at FS. It depends.

TK looks the part tackling wise. He's thickly built and almost looks like he could play OLB, but he hasn't really shown anything on the field to back up that perception. That's a huge part of the reason McNeil played over him so much in 2014 and 2015.

There's a reason Shoop had him working exclusively at FS this fall. Thus far he's shown much better ability in coverage than he has as a tackler.

Edit: I don't think his position will be that flexible. It seemed like Shoop had a rough depth chart for SS and FS worked out in the spring. Plenty of talent at both spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back