How ridiculous the "excessive celebration" penalty is

KoachKrab127

It's the offseason with not a lot to talk about, so I wanted some of your opinions on this. My daughter had a softball tournament today, and whenever a girl hits a home run, the entire team always meets the girl at home plate and gives her a big bear hug with team cheers. After one of these happened, my dad said jokingly, "Shouldn't that be a 15 yard penalty for excessive celebration?"

I know he was joking, but it got me to thinking. This happens in college softball as well. No one calls it excessive celebration. The losing team doesn't whine about it and call it classless, but for some reason, we do that in football.

Think about it. If a person scores a TD in football and the entire team ran out onto the field to congratulate the player by giving him a hug, the media and the opposing team would constantly whine about excessive celebration and taunting, so we feel obligated to make it a huge penalty to show any kind of excitement after a touchdown. Hell, Urban Meyer whined for an entire year about Georgia doing just that after the 2007 game UGA/UF game and held such a grudge, he took timeouts in the 4th quarter to run up the score on UGA in 2008. How ridiculous is that?

Why do we consider it excessive celebration to congratulate your teammates in one sport but not another? Why the double standard?

Reactions: 4 people
It's the offseason with not a lot to talk about, so I wanted some of your opinions on this. My daughter had a softball tournament today, and whenever a girl hits a home run, the entire team always meets the girl at home plate and gives her a big bear hug with team cheers. After one of these happened, my dad said jokingly, "Shouldn't that be a 15 yard penalty for excessive celebration?"

I know he was joking, but it got me to thinking. This happens in college softball as well. No one calls it excessive celebration. The losing team doesn't whine about it and call it classless, but for some reason, we do that in football.

Think about it. If a person scores a TD in football and the entire team ran out onto the field to congratulate the player by giving him a hug, the media and the opposing team would constantly whine about excessive celebration and taunting, so we feel obligated to make it a huge penalty to show any kind of excitement after a touchdown. Hell, Urban Meyer whined for an entire year about Georgia doing just that after the 2007 game UGA/UF game and held such a grudge, he took timeouts in the 4th quarter to run up the score on UGA in 2008. How ridiculous is that?

Why do we consider it excessive celebration to congratulate your teammates in one sport but not another? Why the double standard?

Maybe it has something to do with the sheer volume of players. 15 is quite a bit different than 60. That would be my guess anyway.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe it has something to do with the sheer volume of players. 15 is quite a bit different than 60. That would be my guess anyway.

That's true, but we've seen excessive celebration penalties called in college football even when players from the bench don't run onto the field, when guys who were on the field during the TD play are just celebrating with each other. It still gets called then, if there is "too much excitement."

That's true, but we've seen excessive celebration penalties called in college football even when players from the bench don't run onto the field, when guys who were on the field during the TD play are just celebrating with each other. It still gets called then, if there is "too much excitement."

That's a personal problem if people think a couple of guys getting excited with their teammate after a score imo.

My biggest problem with "celebration" is that it should be reserved for things worthy of celebration.

Or they are showboating when they aren't the guy who made the play.

Ex. A wide receiver has no business celebrating a catch for a first down that hit him in the chest that the QB had to make a perfect pass because he really didn't beat the coverage. The throw did.

You make a play where you did something exceptional. Cool.

If you (and I've seen this happen) get up and make a gesture after tackling a running back after he's gained six yards and a first down....you ought to be flagged for stupidity.

That also goes for great plays made when your team is trailing by 4 touchdowns. Nice hit, bro. Your team is losing 35-3.

Reactions: 19 people
That's a personal problem if people think a couple of guys getting excited with their teammate after a score imo.

So why is it such a big deal in college football but not other sports? It doesn't make sense.

Remember this play? AJ Green was flagged for excessive celebration "drawing attention to himself." This was a TD reception in the 4th quarter with about 2 minutes left. The penalty allowed LSU to get good field position and win the game at the last second. Just ridiculous IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qccCuL4nQ

Reactions: 2 people
My biggest problem with "celebration" is that it should be reserved for things worthy of celebration.

Ex. A wide receiver has no business celebrating a catch for a first down that hit him in the chest that the QB had to make a perfect pass because he really didn't beat the coverage. The throw did.

If you (and I've seen this happen) get up and make a gesture after tackling a running back after he's gained six yards and a first down....you ought to be flagged for stupidity.

That also goes for great plays made when your team is trailing by 4 touchdowns. Nice hit, bro. Your team is losing 35-3.

I agree but how the heck do you write that rule? Think about that.

We're talking about 2 different things. I'm talking about celebrating with your teammates. You're talking about taunting and showboating. There is a difference. College football has an "excessive celebration" penalty that is not called just because of taunting or showboating. It's also called when teammates celebrate together, like that AJ Green penalty video I posted ealier

Last edited:
I know I find it very annoying when WR's have to signal first down every time they move the chains

Reactions: 5 people
I understand we don't like showboating and taunting. This thread is not about that.

Sorry if I derailed the thread.

Technically, the current rules give some level of the kind of thing you are talking about.

The AJ Green situation should not have been a penalty with today's rules.

A classic thing with me (and I know this falls under "showboating") is the Gator chomp. I have seen Gator players do it after a play. I've seen opponents do it after a play. Sometimes it's called. Sometimes it isn't? Why a lack of consistency? This applies to forms of celebration that would not be considered showboating.

To my knowledge, players can't do something choreographed in the endzone after a touchdown. But, if three or guys run toward the player....jump up and down....and smack him on the helmet....it's ok.

Technically, the current rules give some level of the kind of thing you are talking about.

A classic thing with me (and I know this falls under "showboating") is the Gator chomp. I have seen Gator players do it after a play. I've seen opponents do it after a play. Sometimes it's called. Sometimes it isn't? Why a lack of consistency? This applies to forms of celebration that would not be considered showboating.

To my knowledge, players can't do something choreographed in the endzone after a touchdown. But, if three or guys run toward the player....jump up and down....and smack him on the helmet....it's ok.

What you said seems pretty reasonable, but what if the entire offense jumps up and down with the TD scorer? What's wrong with that? Does that deserve a 15 yard penalty?

I've only ever seen a Gator Chomp penalized if it had a throat slash afterwards.

I think if you are acting within reason and not actually taunting the other team's players, but it starts getting out of hand the ref should step in and say shut it down and then if you don't then throw the flag. It's asking too much for these young men to show no emotion on such a big stage.

not being a jerk. no one watches softball compared to football. thats why

That's a valid point that raises even more questions. Why does the opinion and level of expectations of sportsmanship change depending on the popularity of the sport?

Why do we expect players who invest their lives more in sports to show less emotion when the outcome is more impactful to them than say, girls on a softball team?

I think if you are acting within reason and not actually taunting the other team's players, but it starts getting out of hand the ref should step in and say shut it down and then if you don't then throw the flag. It's asking too much for these young men to show no emotion on such a big stage.

I agree. The refs should run over and give the guys a verbal warning before throwing the flag. It changes the game too much.

I think technical fouls in basketball should be that way too. Sometimes players react with emotion and yell at an opponent if the opponent hits them, even if by accident. The ref shouldn't immediately dish out a "T" but instead try to cool the players off, separate them, and give a warning before hand.

The NBA is so bad about dishing out technicals for any sign of emotion against a call or against another player. If one player hits another, and the player who was hit says, "Don't hit me," it's a double technical...so stupid.

I don't have a problem with the penalty as long as it is called consistently enough that a player understands what activity will result with a penalty and can avoid it.

And to be honest celebrating each score or good play looks stupid if the team ends up losing the game.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't have a problem with the penalty as long as it is called consistently enough that a player understands what activity will result with a penalty and can avoid it.

And to be honest celebrating each score or good play looks stupid if the team ends up losing the game.

Consistency in officiating is, has, and always will be a point of contention. That goes for any sport at any level. In football, there are enough actual calls like face masking, horse collars, & holding that get blown. But subjective calls being inconsistent? That is worse.

I just wish the POTS band would learn a riverdance song, so our guys can recreate the opening of "baseketball"

funbunch_display_image.jpg

This is what started it.

This is what should be allowed.

I have been playing video games for 10 years, and NOBODY ever complains about "Excessive Celebration" despite it happening all the time. I don't see why Football can't be the same way - if you do good you have the right to be an ass about it.

VN Store

Back