If Peyton Manning retires, what will be next for him?

sport3500

Football analyst for one of the major networks next season would be my guess.

Thoughts?

Consider these thoughts: Peyton's undoubtably an intelligent person; a prudent decision maker. On top of that, he's got some of the finest business analysts and attorneys on his robust payroll. He's not about to show his hand until all the offers he's no doubt receiving are examined, plus he can easily afford to enter whatever next arena he chooses at the time of his choosing. The LA Rams will pay whatever he wants. There's not a football network out there that wouldn't want him...and would pay him millions. Being a man of his word, if he's going into coaching it'll be as qb's coach at UT. Not OC or whatever else. Let's just figure the one certainty is that he's going to contribute more to UT football than he's had the time to previously. Whatever he decides, I'm sure the Vols will wind up the only college program gaining from it. Won't this story be fun to watch as it unfolds?

Reactions: 7 people
He will bump someone from whichever NFL television show he wishes to participate in.

Reactions: 2 people
He sure has a lot of options!

I have a feeling he'll start working towards an NFL front office position. I know some folks mention coaching, but I picture him being constantly frustrated in that role.

Of course, I'd love for him to be walking our sidelines, but I can't see him signing up for the 24/7, year-round grind of college coaching/recruiting.

Seriously though... I bet the broadcast booth while waiting on the right NFL franchise to come up for sale.

I wonder if a position with the Browns is in the cards.

I could see him following John Elway and becoming a GM, if he wanted--and I'm sure that both the Titans and the Browns, owned by UT booster Haslam, would be interested in hiring him in that capacity, among others, probably. A GM position would be more rewarding and challenging than a job as a TV color commentator like Aikman--but also riskier as you (and the coach) will get blamed if your personnel decisions to pan out and the team doesn't win. Elway has done a very good job at Denver--but Manning is a big reason why. Elway brought a lot of talented guys--Ware, Talib, Ward, others--who wanted to play for Denver because the team had Manning and they all knew the Broncos were a serious contender. That may not be the case going forward. I just don't want to see PM being one of those pre-game and halftime talking heads like Cowher and Esiason and the rest. They are fine but there isn't much to that job--color commentator is better, IMO. I have to think he'll stay around the game in some way.

If Haslam has any brains at all he'll GIVE, not sell, Peyton 25% ownership of the Browns and make him the GM to turn that dumpster fire around.

The only problem with that could be that Peyton is a perfectionist and may be a hard person to work with in the football industry.

Haslam needs to run the business side and let a football professional run the football part of the Browns.

Rise To The Top...VFL...GBO!!!

Peyton literally doesn't have to do anything after he retires. If a sports network wants him in front of a camera they're going to have to put the camera in whatever city he wants to be in with his family if they don't already have one there.

Unfortunately, Manning needs to retire, his arm isn't what it once was when he was younger. He's Had a very special career. At UT and in the NFL!

Manning is an icon.. Which means it will be something big:..look for him to be the lead of an investor group to buy an NFL team.

If Haslam has any brains at all he'll GIVE, not sell, Peyton 25% ownership of the Browns and make him the GM to turn that dumpster fire around.

The only problem with that could be that Peyton is a perfectionist and may be a hard person to work with in the football industry.

Haslam needs to run the business side and let a football professional run the football part of the Browns.

Rise To The Top...VFL...GBO!!!
Yep, takes lots of brains to give someone a quarter billion dollars to be a GM.

I could see him following John Elway and becoming a GM, if he wanted--and I'm sure that both the Titans and the Browns, owned by UT booster Haslam, would be interested in hiring him in that capacity, among others, probably. A GM position would be more rewarding and challenging than a job as a TV color commentator like Aikman--but also riskier as you (and the coach) will get blamed if your personnel decisions to pan out and the team doesn't win. Elway has done a very good job at Denver--but Manning is a big reason why. Elway brought a lot of talented guys--Ware, Talib, Ward, others--who wanted to play for Denver because the team had Manning and they all knew the Broncos were a serious contender. That may not be the case going forward. I just don't want to see PM being one of those pre-game and halftime talking heads like Cowher and Esiason and the rest. They are fine but there isn't much to that job--color commentator is better, IMO. I have to think he'll stay around the game in some way.
Haslam doesn't own any part of the Titans. Bud's daughter and son-in-law do with no minority owners. This has been a sore spot with lots of people. Their way or the highway.

VN Store

Back