Lawsuit-nuisance or major distraction?

Vfl2407

So, I've calmed down and stopped kicking everything in sight since the news of the pending Title IX lawsuit.

I'm putting my orange glasses on and hoping this is just a minor nuisance for the team heading into spring practice.
Who knows if it will be settled out of court or not.
If not, it will probably drag out forever before a final court judgement.

I hate that this is some ammunition in recruiting against us heading to next February when we were hoping for a possible Top Five class.
And that, of course, can still happen. Who knows?

I'm hoping that the UTAD was expecting this lawsuit.
I'm hoping the truth will come out.
And, yes, I'm hoping there is no permanent damage to our program.
That's just being honest.
I don't know the women involved. And, of course, I hope that none of them were hurt either physically or mentally.
That goes without saying for all of us.
But, I'd be lying if I didn't say my main interest in this case is the hope that our program isn't hurt.
I hope that doesn't make me a bad "win at all costs/look the other way" kind of homer fan. Maybe it does.

But, for all concerned, I hope there is a resolution sooner rather than later.
And, for the sake of my football team, I'd love for that resolution to come before September so that we can all enjoy the season with no cloud hanging over campus.

Reactions: 1 person
Aren't the only current players involved TKjr. and a John Doe? It shouldn't be a distraction to the team.

I promise you, the fans are freaking out about this much more than the team.

Reactions: 2 people
In spite of what everyone seems to think this suit has little to do with the athletic department and everything to do with the administration and the way the administration does or does not conduct business.

Aren't the only current players involved TKjr. and a John Doe? It shouldn't be a distraction to the team.

I promise you, the fans are freaking out about this much more than the team.

If TKjr is involved he has not been named.

Reactions: 5 people
*And, of course, I hope that none of them were hurt either physically or mentally.
That goes without saying for all of us.*

So you are hoping that these young ladies are instead bald faced lying, conspiratorial, money extorting false accusers, who seek to tear down a FB/BB program, are you?

The physical and mental injury is laid out in sordid detail in the case. So, if none of it actually happened, then the former must therefore be true.

Hopefully minor but maybe it will at least get the attention of our current players and they will not let themselves get in a similar situation.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reactions: 11 people
*And, of course, I hope that none of them were hurt either physically or mentally.

So you are hoping that these young ladies are instead bald faced lying, conspiratorial, money extorting false accusers, who seek to tear down a FB/BB program, are you?

The physical and mental injury is laid out in sordid detail in the case. So, if none of it actually happened, then the former must therefore be true.

Regardless of who is telling the truth, someone is a vile detestable predator.

Reactions: 4 people
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think I know what you're saying'. But, if you think @ it, you could be saying the opposite.

There is more, if Mr. Bowles was threatened and assaulted by team members-with the presence of some of the coaching staff - there must be an accounting. Criminal actions should never be "swept under the rug". IF, there is any truth to this allegation, all the staff present (paid staff) must be fired, at a minimum.

As stated, my main concern is institutional damage.
I don't want Butch or the admin being complicit - that is separate from the claims and their merit or non merit.
And, I bet you if Vol fans were completely honest, most would agree with me.
I've stated it clearly. Any more flames will not be met with a response. Have a nice day.

there's so many sides to consider here. we're just off the heels of nearly a million dollar pay out on similar suit in Talahassee. you have the federal investigations at over 140 schools across the nation on how these types cases/issues are handled/reported etc....the big trial at Vanderbilt....among others i'm sure i'm leaving out.

i tend not to weigh in on these kinds of issues because i don't have all the facts. the thing that does, and should, concern most of us is that this suit is not IF or THAT these things happened, it's how apathetic the UT administrators named were in the handling of the cases/issues.

very hard thing to prove, and most likely something that many on The Hill will want to make go away. so is this a money grab? sure, it could be.

but if, IF, it were proved that any/all of this was/is true about cover ups or protecting the athletes to the extent they are accused..including the "hits" on players trying to help the accused, and the extent of knowledge any administrators knew of it...then it will be time for a complete overhaul in personnel named in the suit.

i hate this thing for a lot of reasons. but chief among them is that people in the AD put themselves in a position for these questions to even be asked. players on the team put this risk on the table.

i hope for two things....1. that all involved learn from this, and if there are holes in any process or procedure for these things, that they are fixed. 2. that the leaders, administrators and players alike, take ownership of this, good and bad. i've heard stories about incidents like this going on at campuses all over the country for over 20 years and it's naive for any of us to think that these things don't, and aren't, happening at some level, even at our school.

and if it was ever proven that our leaders covered it up, or created a process inherently to protect the athletes, then i'd be ashamed and the changes should be swift.

if it's not true, then it needs to also be treated with the same.

is it a nuisance or distraction? hard to differentiate. at this point w/out anything being proven one way or the other, it's both. it's a nuisance because it's in the national spotlight and is something that has to be dealt with pretty much every day. is it a distraction, probably not on the day to day, but in recruiting it definitely is a huge distraction.

I'm not flaming you vfl. Just pointing out there logic of what your hoping for.

Yeah, I wish UT was squeaky clean and has a wonderful season in 16'. Yeah, I hope no girls were raped or assaulted and their futures damaged.

But, this is "big boy" reality here. It's not a movie with a + ending and a good feeling. Someone or more specifically a group of someones in this case are flat out vile and wicked. Looks like the courts may have to decide who.

It's just logical reality at this point.

I know you're lurking. :)

It is not "or" ... it is AND. It is both distraction and nuisance.

The good thing is that it may bring about a needed change in administration personnel.

but if, IF, it were proved that any/all of this was/is true about cover ups or protecting the athletes to the extent they are accused..including the "hits" on players trying to help the accused, and the extent of knowledge any administrators knew of it...then it will be time for a complete overhaul in personnel named in the suit.

Very good post Jake. This particular portion is the most disturbing from a program standpoint. I certainly don't like the thought that our staff has done business this way. And they are of course innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law (or admit). But, I must equally think @ this if the things alleged happened to my own daughter or family. What results would I want then?

In spite of what everyone seems to think this suit has little to do with the athletic department and everything to do with the administration and the way the administration does or does not conduct business.

Yes and no. It implicates both University admins as well as Athletic Department leadership. Specifically Cheek, Hart, Jones and it is very clear about it.

There is more, if Mr. Bowles was threatened and assaulted by team members-with the presence of some of the coaching staff - there must be an accounting. Criminal actions should never be "swept under the rug". IF, there is any truth to this allegation, all the staff present (paid staff) must be fired, at a minimum.

So you are saying the whole coaching staff should be fired if two players got into a fight? You've got to be kidding. You have no clue what the coaches did to handle the situation. Not everything makes the news.

Very good post Jake. This particular portion is the most disturbing from a program standpoint. I certainly don't like the thought that our staff has done business this way. And they are of course innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law (or admit). But, I must equally think @ this if the things alleged happened to my own daughter or family. What results would I want then?

yeah, this is a bit different than recruiting violations. this is the kind of stuff that does no one any good.

it's shy of the Penn St. Sandusky stuff for obvious reasons, but it wouldn't be too far down that list.

if it were to come to light to be true....and i'm one that usually thinks worst case scenario anyway due to my job, but in the worst case scenario, you basically have the plot of "a few good men" playing out in real life.

not only are we sexually assaulting women, we're taking code reds out on the players that try to help them. and then to boot, the leaders, administratively and on the team, following instituted process specifically designed to favor the athlete, while making it more difficult for the accuser.

let that sink in and it's very much something we would all be very ashamed of.

of course, that's if it's true. but until this thing is settled, i think you have to take it that seriously. i wouldn't just write it off as a "money grab" if i were in any way involved with the handling of this case from UTK's side.

and again, let's not forget the reason the possibility for this kind of lawsuit even exists is because things did happen. people were arrested, kicked out of school, and awaiting trials. so even if this is money grab, it's still something UTK and UTAD has to own.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back