Sweeping Sexual Assault Suit Filed Against UT

no poll

• Total voters

Jonboy

Six women filed a federal lawsuit on Tuesday claiming the University of Tennessee has created a student culture that enables sexual assaults by student-athletes, especially football players, and then uses an unusual, legalistic adjudication process that is biased against victims who step forward.

https://twitter.com/Tennessean/status/697168149502947328

https://t.co/denQlCQqdN

Note: The poll got attached by a merged thread that seemed to fit into the discussion, but the poll did not. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
Per Tennessean. Names Cheek, Hart and Jones as knowing what is going on. Several former football players named and one unnamed current player.

Someone is angling for a big $$$$ settlement. They know this thing is almost impossible to prove... but is a PR nightmare for the institution/company that is being sued.

Herman Cain's presidential campaign was basically ended because his previous company paid someone off rather than suffer the bad publicity of a trial.

Reactions: 13 people
Seeing as these players were bounced from the program I'm having a hard time seeing personal culpability for creating an enabling atmosphere for athletes to sexually assault other student with Coach Jones and the athletic department staff. If this alleged policy exists, however, then the administration should absolutely be held responsible--Cheek and Hart in particular.

All that being said, there is NO PLACE at any university for policies that extricate athletes unfairly from criminal behavior. If a player on the team NOW (although I have a feeling the "unnamed current player" is Von Pearson) is named in this lawsuit, then no matter WHO HE IS, he must go. Period.

Reactions: 16 people
I hope what they (the 6 women) alleging is NOT TRUE, as if it is, there is not an excuse or justification that would make it okay. In fact, if rapes and/or sexual assaults are taking place, there should be arrests, GJ true bills, and prosecutions, just like there should be for any other American citizen-playing on a football team, (even ours) in no way gives anyone the right to rape.

Reactions: 6 people
Someone is angling for a big $$$$ settlement. They know this thing is almost impossible to prove... but is a PR nightmare for the institution/company that is being sued.

Herman Cain's presidential campaign was basically ended because his previous company paid someone off rather than suffer the bad publicity of a trial.

Given the recent settlements Hart and Cheek have paid out I'd say your spot on with the settlement part of things.

Reactions: 2 people

Pretty much... and I hate to sound like a broken record but it's very telling that this story was broken by Anita. Just a rehashing of baseless junk from the past.

Reactions: 3 people
Does anybody know why they have to name the "current" football Vol as John Doe while giving past players real names?

All that being said, there is NO PLACE at any university for policies that extricate athletes unfairly from criminal behavior. If a player on the team NOW (although I have a feeling the "unnamed current player" is Von Pearson) is named in this lawsuit, then no matter WHO HE IS, he must go. Period.

Von Pearson is not a 'current' Vol football player anymore. He was a senior so it wouldn't be him. I asked a similar question above about why this "current" football Vol couldn't be named?

I'm not sure but why do the girls get to remain nameless? Not defending anyone either way just curious...

I can understand the accusing girls remaining nameless but why just this one football player still being referred to as John Doe? They named all of the other 4 players supposedly involved.

Why keep the 'current' Vol un-named? I think this is important. If we have a current football player involved we must address that now. Either suspend him indefinitely or let him go period.

Reactions: 1 person
The University is stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Anytime someone makes an accusation against a player, it has to be researched and fully vetted before action is taken. The University can't just kick someone off a team any time an accusation is made. Do you know how many people are either looking to cash in, looking to settle a score, or otherwise gain from making accusations like this? Not saying one way or the other this is what happened, but a player's rights have to be protected, too.

What if you ruin a young man's life by revoking his scholarship and potentially destroying an NFL career, over an accusation that was made that turned out to be false?

Reactions: 3 people
Von Pearson is not a 'current' Vol football player anymore. He was a senior so it wouldn't be him. I asked a similar question above about why this "current" football Vol couldn't be named?

Well I can think of two reasons.

One:he's a minor.

Two: may be a policy about not naming current students whom the lawsuit alleges were exonerated by the university. I was thinking it might be Von b/c even if the lawsuit was released today it may have been drawn up while he was still an active student if that is, in fact, the policy regarding current students.

Not a lawyer so I could be wrong though.

Reactions: 2 people

Has not been formally charged or is not yet 18 years old are my guesses .

Seeing as these players were bounced from the program I'm having a hard time seeing personal culpability for creating an enabling atmosphere for athletes to sexually assault other student with Coach Jones and the athletic department staff. If this alleged policy exists, however, then the administration should absolutely be held responsible--Cheek and Hart in particular.

Absolutely not. Are you going to dismiss a player merely because allegations are made in a lawsuit? I would think that some amount of diligence would be done to determine the veracity of the allegations before dismissing somebody. What if the allegations are false?

Talk about a knee jerk reaction.

This is different than the AJ Johnson and Von Pearson situations, because law enforcement ended their investigation and decided about whether to take a criminal case to a grand jury.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back