Value of an aggressive and disciplined defense

allenrikvik

I enjoyed the super bowl last with UT being well-represented. The primary key to the win was the attacking style-Denver defense, especially the front 7. The initial push and drive by the front was impressive, which kept pressure on the QB at all times. C Newton had 2-3 seconds to read and pass/run. In addition, they were unselfish, remained in their lanes, which stifled the running QB, clogged running lanes and opened avenues for the delayed blitzes and aggressive coverage. It was a real enjoyment to watch.

With the evolution of the Vols defense, I am anticipating that we will have many of the same features. There are not many V Millers in the world, but we do have elite playmakers, pressing D-linemen, and an aggressive defensive coach. Couple an attacking defense with a ball-controlled offense, you have a special mix.

Reactions: 7 people
I enjoyed the super bowl last with UT being well-represented. The primary key to the win was the attacking style-Denver defense, especially the front 7. The initial push and drive by the front was impressive, which kept pressure on the QB at all times. C Newton had 2-3 seconds to read and pass/run. In addition, they were unselfish, remained in their lanes, which stifled the running QB, clogged running lanes and opened avenues for the delayed blitzes and aggressive coverage. It was a real enjoyment to watch.

With the evolution of the Vols defense, I am anticipating that we will have many of the same features. There are not many V Millers in the world, but we do have elite playmakers, pressing D-linemen, and an aggressive defensive coach. Couple an attacking defense with a ball-controlled offense, you have a special mix.

We might have 5 to 6 NFL players on defense

Reactions: 4 people
As I was watching this defense last night visions of the "Orange swarm" came dancing through my head. Just think about it. Two big, fast, aggressive tackles Tuttle, KMac. Two DE that play the run plus chase the QB all over the field, Barnett, plus any one of about 4 guys. LB's Reeves-Maybin, Kirkland plus ? that can tackle, bliz, cover wr's from sideline to sideline. DB's that can cover, tackle, blitz, disrupt routes. A coach that believes in ever ending pressure you have the makings of an outstanding defense.

Not saying the Vols will be anywhere near the Bronco's defense but on the same wave length. With the depth the Vols will have you can fill in the blank on a lot of the positions. This could very well be one of the best defenses in the SEC if not the nation this year. The season can not get here fast enough. GBO

Reactions: 3 people
I am very excited with the defensive potential. With the new DC, I think we will see a much more aggressive attacking style and we have the skill and depth to punish opposing offenses. Only concern is the injury bug.

I am very excited with the defensive potential. With the new DC, I think we will see a much more aggressive attacking style and we have the skill and depth to punish opposing offenses. Only concern is the injury bug.

I agree with this! :good!:

The secondary is the key. Denver Dbacks covered well. UT's could not do as well.

The front seven and the secondary complemented each other for Denver. Front seven pressure gave Cam no time to allow his receivers separation. Talib and company blanketed Panther wrs all night giving line extra time to get to Newton. Hopefully the Vols will have the same type of defensive cohesion in 2016.

...................and like Denver we have a flip the field punter.

Reactions: 2 people
Von Miller reminded me of Lawrence Taylor in his prime last night and Denver's defense has nothing but sure open field tacklers (especially Ward). They're fast but very physical and fundamentally sound. More than anything else that's what we are missing, imo. Especially in the Arkansas game, we just missed too many tackles last year especially in short yardage situations

Last edited:
Butch and Shoop should show this game constantly during film sessions. Those guys stayed in their lanes and contained Newton all night. He only got outside one or two times for a few short runs. This is the blue print we should live by for years.

Reactions: 3 people
Ugh....now we have to wait until September to see football again and hope our Defense plays in a like manner. Sigh....I am already in football withdraw.

Reactions: 1 person
Bronco"s speed off the edge was just awesome. I'm hoping we get the same from our stable of DL. The defense is just looking better and better.

Von Miller reminded me of Lawrence Taylor in his prime last night and Denver's defense has nothing but sure open field tacklers (especially Ward). Their fast but very physical and fundamentally sound. More than anything else that's what we are missing, imo. Especially in the Arkansas game, we just missed too many tackles last year especially in short yardage situations

When he covered the wide receiver stride for stride it was evident to me this is a special player. He is incredible.

If chavis would have used his ballers more aggressively more often in the 90s he probably could have beaten FL while Peyton was there.

For me, Shoop's D will be the same. In your face and dare you to beat us. Good things coming to the hill. GBO

Von Miller reminded me of Lawrence Taylor in his prime last night and Denver's defense has nothing but sure open field tacklers (especially Ward). They're fast but very physical and fundamentally sound. More than anything else that's what we are missing, imo. Especially in the Arkansas game, we just missed too many tackles last year especially in short yardage situations

No.

He's Derrick Thomas reincarnated. Similar size and skills. LT was much bigger.

We might have 5 to 6 NFL players on defense

Way more.

Right now I would say we could field an all-NFL starting lineup if we wanted based on the talent Butch has accumulated.

DE - Barnett
DT - Tuttle
DT - McKenzie
DE - Kongbo

LB - Reeves-Maybin
LB - Kirkland Jr.
LB - A. Smith

CB - Sutton
CB - Martin
FS - Griffin
SS - Jennings

I'm pretty confident all 11 will be NFL players barring injuries or personal issues. And then you have guys coming off the bench like Phillips, Taylor, and Byrd with as much NFL talent as anyone I already mentioned.

This roster is loaded.

I honestly think that when Phillips gets 100% healthy and learns another move or 2 that he's going to be as hard to stop as anyone else on our roster.

He has quick feet, hands and arms to get by blockers and he's fast on his feet when he gets by them to get to the RB or the QB.

I have a gut feeling that Kyle Phillips is going to become a very special player for our footVol team.

As mentioned before, if our DB's can cover well then our swarming D will make it a very rough day for any O that lines up against us.

I'm already jonesin for footVol.

Building a Champion #BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

KMac, Tuttle, Barnett, Phillips, JRM, Kirkland, Sutton, TKJr, Kongbo, Martin...........possibly more?

Kongbo hasn't played a snap. Vereen is a better prospect right now imo.

KMac has to build more agility endurance and strain.

Right now
Sutton, yes
Maybin, Yes
Barnett, Yes
Tuttle, yes
Kirkland, yes
Martin, yes
Vereen, yes

7 right now imo.

VN Store

Back