Preston Williams and Josh Smith

LittleVol

Of course I can help you, Coach Heupel.
These two guys can make our passing game solid! Wolf will do his part over the middle.

Smith and Williams are the only two guys I see right now being abe to make plays on their own consistently on the perimeter.
Jennings will develop if he stays there.
Forget about Malone's 5 star ranking. He's not a "bust. He's good, just not what we want him to be.

Signing Latrell Williams was absolutely huge! He will see the field bfore anybody else in this class. He provides that speed threat from the slot position that this offense has missed.

Combine that with Williams, Smith and Wolf with our shredding power run game and we should have one of the more balanced Offenses in the conference...

Reactions: 3 people
I expect PW to break out this year. We have to remember he was coming off of a major knee injury he suffered in high school, stepped into the SEC and with the exception of his fumble vs I think Arkansas, played very well considering most of us expected a redshirt

Reactions: 1 person
I think you're underestimating Malone though. His potential is through the roof hes freakishly athletic. I think it clicks for him this season

Reactions: 21 people
Consigned.

I hopes so. I think he's left too many big plays on the field.

I love his burst, but he doesn't use his full range (radius) when going for the football.

However he's on the cusp...
Here's to hoping he proves me wrong.

Many young receivers with Malone's talent are still trying to learn how to use their own body in the ways that they know they can. Malone had a better year last year than he did his freshman year, and he improved his yards/catch by 3.1, which is a significant jump. I expect him to have a true breakout year. He has potential to be a Laquon treadwell type receiver if Dobbs can get him the ball effectively. Don't sleep on Malone at all!

Reactions: 2 people
Many young receivers with Malone's talent are still trying to learn how to use their own body in the ways that they know they can. Malone had a better year last year than he did his freshman year, and he improved his yards/catch by 3.1, which is a significant jump. I expect him to have a true breakout year. He has potential to be a Laquon treadwell type receiver if Dobbs can get him the ball effectively. Don't sleep on Malone at all!

That's a good point about learning how to his body.
And yeah Dobbs needs to get it to him effectively.

Right now Josh Smith and Preston Williams seem to me to be the most well rounded WRs when healthy on our squad.

The real problem to me wasn't as much the receivers, but the offensive line not being able to pass protect in passing situations, combined with Dobbs inconsistently accurate. The O line could run block very solidly, but pass protection was still a major factor. There is some on the WR's though, they seem to couldn't shake tight coverage at all. Whether that's on them or the WR coach, I don't know.
I expect improvements next year. The pass game doesn't have to be awesome, but better for us to get where we want next year. All above aspects have to improve. But yes op, if Josh and PW do there part, it would help.

These two guys can make our passing game solid! Wolf will do his part over the middle.

Smith and Williams are the only two guys I see right now being abe to make plays on their own consistently on the perimeter.
Jennings will develop if he stays there.
Forget about Malone's 5 star ranking. He's not a "bust. He's good, just not what we want him to be.

Signing Latrell Williams was absolutely huge! He will see the field bfore anybody else in this class. He provides that speed threat from the slot position that this offense has missed.

Combine that with Williams, Smith and Wolf with our shredding power run game and we should have one of the more balanced Offenses in the conference...

If you wanna "forget Malone's 5 star ranking", then you go ahead....not me though. He had a solid Soph year given the mess that was our passing game. I love Smith and PWill, just as much as Malone....I'm not writing any of them off. Don't forget the lesson of Robert Meachem...29 catches for 383 yds and 2 tds as a Soph.....71-1298-11 as a junior.

Reactions: 4 people
If you wanna "forget Malone's 5 star ranking", then you go ahead....not me though. He had a solid Soph year given the mess that was our passing game. I love Smith and PWill, just as much as Malone....I'm not writing any of them off. Don't forget the lesson of Robert Meachem...29 catches for 383 yds and 2 tds as a Soph.....71-1298-11 as a junior.

If we have a wr that puts up numbers like Meachem then the sky is definitely the limit. If the opposing defense has to be that concerned with the passing game Hurd and Kamara should run wild.

Right now I am remembering Dobb's gorgeous 40 yard ball to the back of the end zone against South Carolina dropped by Malone

I tend to remember the gorgeous 75 yard TD pass that Malone caught and ran in/scored on vs Kentucky.

If we have a wr that puts up numbers like Meachem then the sky is definitely the limit. If the opposing defense has to be that concerned with the passing game Hurd and Kamara should run wild.

It's not likely to happen in this offense IMHO. I was really just trying to point out that a very talented player like Malone can make a huge leap in his production from one year to the next....like Meachem did. And, in fact, contrary to OP's assertion, Malone made more plays on the perimeter than either Smith or PWil last year.

An accurate Dobbs will make the passing game solid. The WR's are not the problem

You are either biased or can't see. The WRs were just as much of the problem as was Dobbs accuracy. I saw Dobbs miss some guys and I saw some drops. Probably both the same number. But the thing you are missing is the inability of this group of WRs to beat press coverage consistently. North, Malone and Smith struggle with it.

Reactions: 3 people
Just remember every time you post a player's name only in the thread title...
c5c517240ed3d359f0c528128935e0e0.jpg

Still don't understand the hatred of Jennings. He played very well this season

I remember it taking awhile for Robert Meachem to break out. He was a redshirt too. Nobody should write off Malone nor any other player.

It's become something like a political talking point to say that JD has consistency problems. The receivers are at least as much to blame. It's not just dropping the pass by WRs, they are having too much trouble getting open also. That isn't even touching on the O line problems.

Peyton is having accuracy problems this year with the average Denver Offensive line. I know there is more to Peyton's problems, but a better O-line would have allowed Peyton to have a better year.

The way Malone is described reminds me of Robert Meachem's career before his senior year

He left as a Jr iirc. Had injuries that held him back. Would have exploded even earlier without them.

Josh Malone is a good receiver. Glad he's playing for the good guys. He just suffers from the 5* curse. People around here (cfb) judge college players based on what a recruiting service said. Had they rated him a 3*, then nobody would have a problem with Josh.

VN Store

Back