2016 Starting Safeties

austin_vol

Since both of the starters have graduated, who do you think will start this year? Tkjr and Berry? Or someone else?

I think our starting safeties will be TKjr & Berry, with a lot of reps for Griffin, Warrior, and maybe even some Abernathy.

Has Jauan Jennings' potential move to safety been ruled out by the staff yet? If not, I'd like to see it happen if other receivers can step up this spring/summer.

Reactions: 2 people
I personally think that tkjr is the only one who will consistently start games as a safety. We are going to have so much depth in the secondary it's going to be great. We will probably be rotating guys like crazy which is something we haven't been able to do in awhile. I am excited to get to see Gaulden play as well.

If Warrior is close to as good as his dad he'll get early PT.

Byrd said on the radio today he might be moved to safety, so he may likely have a say here at the least

Reactions: 1 person
I hope Byrd stays a corner. I loved watching his length and how fluid he was in coverage. Obviously coaches know best but if he can play corner those long arms are a huge help.

Jennings is the best safety on the team. Jennings, TKjr, Berry all have All american potential. TKjr has a knack for the ball and creates turnovers.

Jennings is the best safety on the team. Jennings, TKjr, Berry all have All american potential. TKjr has a knack for the ball and creates turnovers.

Don't get me wrong, JJ is a great athlete, but the kid hasn't played a single down at Safety in his college career. Maybe pump the brakes a bit.

Reactions: 12 people
Don't get me wrong, JJ is a great athlete, but the kid hasn't played a single down at Safety in his college career. Maybe pump the brakes a bit.

You could tell by JJ's hits on special teams he would be a hitter at safety, plus he is long great range and can catch he would be a total playmaker at safety

Reactions: 3 people
I hope Byrd stays a corner. I loved watching his length and how fluid he was in coverage. Obviously coaches know best but if he can play corner those long arms are a huge help.

Yes, and I think he's a prototype corner. But Sutton and Martin man those spots THIS YEAR and if we want Byrd on the field?

Since both of the starters have graduated, who do you think will start this year? Tkjr and Berry? Or someone else?

With the skill of our front 7 it help in the learning process. TKjr was equally as good as Randolph last year. If not better.
Berry could be lights out.

Griffin and Jennings are tall fast and rangy. Both can be around 6' 4" 220 lb ball hawks that would set the defensive tone being physical...

Warrior and Gaulden would also be a very nice tandem even though they are under 200 lbs.

in the End Butch favors experience above all. He has that in TKjr. And Berry looked very good last spring and already is All-American kick returner. Oh and Eric Berry is his brother.

Berry and Kelly

I personally think that tkjr is the only one who will consistently start games as a safety. We are going to have so much depth in the secondary it's going to be great. We will probably be rotating guys like crazy which is something we haven't been able to do in awhile. I am excited to get to see Gaulden play as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if Shop plays at least 30 guys on defense if there isn't a drop off....because on paper this defense finally has depth

Safeties? We don't need no freaking safeties....

With our front-7, nobody getting past the linebackers!

Reactions: 1 person
Don't forget how inept our defense was this past year when Randolph wasn't in there to get everyone lined up. I don't think you will see Jennings/Warrior/Byrd in there together until later in the season.

This is good advice here, and it's definitely way too early to declare him the best safety on the team. However, it seems the Jennings to safety hype may be real. It is not just fans speculating on a message board, it's folks like Doug Matthews bringing it up every other week. He played it a lot in high school and it was his projected position in college by most recruiting sites. And although he did some nice things at WR this year, probably half his highlights are of him crushing somebody on special teams coverage.

VN Store

Back