UK's new checkerboard uniforms? Didn't Tennessee use the checkerboard design first?

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
Help me out here, I've heard arguments about Kentucky stealing the checkerboard designs from Tennessee. After researching, apparently Kentucky started using the checkerboard endzones in 1930 before Tennessee started using them in the 1960's. Can someone please explain this whole controversy? Thanks.

Photos: Kentucky football unveils new Nike uniforms for 2016

Last edited:
It's a checkerboard pattern; not a Picasso painting. It's kind of comical that people think or care whether it was an original idea by anybody. It's like arguing over who invented stripes.

Reactions: 18 people
They did have it in the endzone first, but that's all I know.

Reactions: 1 person
It's a checkerboard pattern; not a Picasso painting. It's kind of comical that people think or care whether it was an original idea by anybody. It's like arguing over who invented stripes.

Orange and White checkerboard in Neyland > Picasso!

Reactions: 9 people
That just goes to show---if you can't beat 'em, join 'em :}:}:}

I understand they're looking into changing from blue to orange in the near future also.

Reactions: 3 people
I bet Butch passed on that same design last year. UT's checkers are a lot more subtle, which makes a world of difference.

Reactions: 1 person
They will always suck in football, so I take it as a compliment that they want to copy UT. Go Vols

It's Ky who cares? Those uniforms will be covered in grass and mud stains 5 min into the first quarter. We will beat them like they stole something this year so keep your checkerboard pattern.

The picture that I've seen people use to say UK had them first has always been wrong, or so the people contradicting say. It's of the correct field but the picture shows lights being up in it and that didn't happen until after we had checkerboards as well but supposedly that is the earliest picture of it or something. Both sides usually say bama used them before either. Regardless, only one team is synonymous with the checkerboards and that team wears orange, thats all that matters in my book.

Aint gonna lie, it kind of bothers me a little :banghead2:

Reactions: 2 people
They forgot to replace the "t" in Kentucky with an "s". Come on Nike you're better than that.

Actually, the checkerboard (as we currently call it) was the way the original football fields looked for anyone playing (if you go back far enough).

Back then, the entire field was a checkerboard of alternating 5 yrd squares. When you were tackled, the ball was then put back into play in the square you were tackled in.

The rules eventually changed, and the squares became lines and hash marks. But the original name stuck. That's why we still refer to it as "The Grid Iron".

And now you know the rest of the story.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back