CZA will decide how good Team 120 will be

Vfl2407

He needs to go to DeBord and Butch and get a philosophy locked in.
Do we stay with the idea of a 9-10 WR rotation and try to develop them all and get chemistry with Dobbs.
Or, do we find and isolate our 6-7 best and give them the vast number of reps in the spring and fall.

After that decision, CZA has to do his best coaching job ever. Tweek his coaching style and personality, if needed.
Solicit other opinions during film study.
Constantly ask questions and look for the right answers before problems develop.
Does he have it in him? If so, the sky is the limit for this team.

To achieve (or dare to exceed) EVERYONE'S expectations for 2016...Tennessee MUST have a credible downfield threat.

/Capt Obvious

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think it's ALL Coach Z's fault. There's no doubt the WR's underperformed in 2015 but they didn't do a good job of creating space and getting open in my opinion. Dobbs also has to do a better job of getting them the football in places where they can make plays. If we don't see much improvement in the receivers in 2016 then I'd be looking into a replacement

To achieve (or dare to exceed) EVERYONE'S expectations for 2016...Tennessee MUST have a credible downfield threat.

/Capt Obvious

Malone and Williams can stretch the Field.
Also add in the speedsters we just brought in..

I think we will see a lot more down field throws this year.. With the success we had with the ground game last year. Most of the teams will now stack the box to stop the run, so play action throws deep should be open..

If you remember the Northwestern game you saw some the new wrinkle with Dobbs under center doing a play action to Hurd and deep throw over the middle to TE. I believe we got two of those in that game.

WR and the passing are the obvious weakness of next year's team. We've got a good starting TE who can catch. Malone has to be durable and have a big year. Has to. Smith can be good--but after those two who do we have that's dependably solid/good? The answer, I think, is nobody. Williams needs to get it together--he and somebody else really have to come on. Developing receivers and improving the passing game should be a huge point of emphasis in the spring.

As for rotating wide receivers, nobody rotates 9 or 10 guys--that would be STUPID. We should be rotating six, seven absolute max. If the passing game is sketchy next year we will not have the year we expect to have.

No, it's bigger than any one player or coach. They got this. Sit back and enjoy. This year is gonna be special.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 4 people
Running more under center will help.
Also getting guys like Callaway, Henderson, Williams. Will help too because of their speed. They actually fit CBJ's scheme.
TE's will have a bigger year. Hurd will do even better running under Center.

You can quote me on this in a year.
Our passing game will be much improved.

Everything that is being said is legit. Also injuries played a role in slowing the overall development of the WRs. I expect Williams to build upon a solid spring and emerge as a much bigger threat in 2016. Same for George. Being an EE with JUCO experience, he should step in contribute and right away. Much like Williams, another year of development should bring Jennings to star status. Smith and Malone will continue to be consistent performers. 2016 should be the year where maturity and development bring Malone to the level we all have expected.

Let's not overlook the fact that the OL should be bigger, stronger, more experienced, and deeper. I believe that Dobbs should have additional time to find receivers, set his feet, and finish his throws. Also his reading of the defenses should be improved. This will help him find where the open receivers should be. A better OL allows DeBord to open up the playbook even more.

I'm still concerned that receivers aren't getting off press coverage and getting separation. That's all about strength, technique, and route execution. This is where CZA needs to step up and make a difference.

I think this year rather an internship building jets, Dobbs should spend the summer working with manning to learn how to launch bombs!

Reactions: 3 people
I am not sure where this idea comes that we are 'rotating' to many receivers . We had 8 receivers catch passes last
This is not counting , RBs or TE, or the pass that Dobbs caught .

1 or the 8 was Cody Blanc who played in 1 game , for 1 play

Pig Howard was one of the 8 ...who was kicked off

North was another and we know he was hurt most of the season

Thats 5 receivers that played meaningful reps ...in a system where you run 3 to 4 receivers on every play and you want to have 60-80 offensive plays a game and require that the receivers are blockers on the running plays .

8 receivers are needed . 4 positions and 4 #2's

Reactions: 6 people
WRs gotta get tougher and fight for the ball more.

50/50 balls have been incomplete 50% of the time, intercepted 50% of the time. Gotta turn that around a catch most of those.

I think we are placing too much on the passing game. We won't be a great passing team next year and it doesn't matter as much as the defensive side of the ball getting better.

Funny how last year at this time a lot of people here thought so much of CZA that, they wanted him to be our new OC. He is a very capable coach and an elite recruiter. He has had to deal with a lot of key injuries and a quarterback that is an average to less than average division 1 passer. I for one want him to stick around.:thumbsup:

Funny how last year at this time a lot of people here thought so much of CZA that, they wanted him to be our new OC. He is a very capable coach and an elite recruiter. He has had to deal with a lot of key injuries and a quarterback that is an average to less than average division 1 passer. I for one want him to stick around.:thumbsup:

Z was catching plenty of heat prior to the start of last season. Many of us were critical of him, but were hopeful that his being named passing game coordinator might "shake things up" and produce better results, especially with a deeper, more talented group. Instead, our WR actually regressed with Z taking full ownership of the passing game. The passing game was bad in 2015 and Z certainly played a significant role in the failure. I'm hoping that he/the WR group/the passing game grows exponentially in 2016....it's arguably the final piece of the puzzle to getting the team to reach a championship level.

He needs to go to DeBord and Butch and get a philosophy locked in.
Do we stay with the idea of a 9-10 WR rotation and try to develop them all and get chemistry with Dobbs.
Or, do we find and isolate our 6-7 best and give them the vast number of reps in the spring and fall.

After that decision, CZA has to do his best coaching job ever. Tweek his coaching style and personality, if needed.
Solicit other opinions during film study.
Constantly ask questions and look for the right answers before problems develop.
Does he have it in him? If so, the sky is the limit for this team.

Agree, but this only 1/3 of it. With a greatly improved O-Line Dobbs will have ample time for these deep routes to develop. Early last season he was pressured early and often. If Dobbs only slightly improves his accuracy then book your tickets for Atlanta and the playoffs.

Explosive plays in the passing game will take this offense, and team, from good to great. It should make our running game more effective as well. Not having to run against eight man fronts will make RUN CMG lethal !

Other than Pig, I haven't seen a WR get consistent separation since Butch has been here.

Smith, Williams, Malone...need to be the the go to guy. At least 1 1k yard receiver. Getting open was tough. Hope Dobbs develops and the downfield passing game clicks.

Dobby gonna have to stop over and under throwing. But yes I agree

I think the reason he has struggled with his accuracy is due to the fact they don't stick with smaller rotation. How can he get chemistry with Wr when they pull 3 Wrs out and put 3 in all the time?

VN Store

Back