What I really like about this class.....

fade route

Just being honest
Is that many of our 3* signees (Rivals) were recruited nationally like 4 and 5* recruits and their offer lists reflect as much. Tatum, Brandon Johnson, Fils-Aime, Corey Henderson, and Buchanan literally could have gone almost anywhere. Heck, even L. Williams, our 2* had offers from Virginia Tech and Miami. When many of your 3* signees feel like steals, then it's probably an underrated class. Gets me excited about these guys.

Reactions: 10 people
I think the class looks pretty good as well. I'm not too worried about the ranking part. The roster is clearly being upgraded all around.

Reactions: 3 people
Goes to show why the Rivals.com points system isn't always the best measure of a class' strength. In their system, bigger classes will likely garner more points as long as it's not completely filled with 3* guys.

Our class was small, but I think it will prove to be of great quality. Depth will no longer be such a major concern.

Reactions: 1 person
I like a few things about this class. I like the big names these coaches got. I like that they recruited in spots where we needed players (for the most part). The excitement from several flips and big announcements in the last day (or two). And I like that our team is at a point where if this coaching staff recruits a top-15 our fan base thinks "meh."

Reactions: 2 people
I like a few things about this class. I like the big names these coaches got. I like that they recruited in spots where we needed players (for the most part). The excitement from several flips and big announcements in the last day (or two). And I like that our team is at a point where if this coaching staff recruits a top-15 our fan base thinks "meh."

When we stop recruiting top players because they don't get it, and that's the opinion from current players. And Al Wilson tells CBJ that the true culture of the Vols has been restored under his watch, I know we are on the right track.

There is a ton of good about this class, but don't think for one minute I wouldnt trade two or three of the 3*s for two or three 5*s, that buy into the Vol culture. CBJ needs to know being # 1 is important, but not at the cost of the culture, it is just as important.

The line is razor sharp, and don't forget it.

Do it the right way, everyday.

Go Vols!

I like the class too. I also think Butch Jones and staff are good at player development, and that's something we have not had for a long time IMO. It's nice that we have depth now, so some of these guys have time to get better. They don't have to come right in and play.

I hate saying this, LOL, but I agree with Fade.

I also think some of our new recruits and this entire recruiting class will prove in a couple of years to be very underrated.

I honestly believe this class is really a top 8 to 10 class and may prove to be even better than that over time.

I think we already have quality replacements on the team now for everyone that graduates or leaves after next season.

Our recruiting now has already become all about filling needs to keep reloading and having the younger kids ready to start when their time comes.

buTch walked in the door on day 1 with a solid plan and he's stuck to it relentlessly and it's showing the results now.

Next season I honestly believe our O is going to buTch slap people and our D is going to Shoop stomp people.

Together that equals WINS.

Building a Champion #BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

The biggest thing I get from this class is speed, speed and CBJ saying "We had to turn guys away". Now the Vols are getting some where. konGBO.

the best part about that Fade is that there's depth ahead of a lot of those guys so they can either find a fit as a rotational player, on special teams etc...but not expected to carry the weight just yet.

they get the chance to develop. something this staff has had to do on the fly up to this point. this is the first class they've brought in that we won't HAVE TO SEE right away in a trial by fire.....that in and of itself gave them some flexibility.

and they were still able to bring in a few players that very well could be, and probably will be, immediate contributors. all around, i have no problems with this class and i CBJ plenty of props for it, especially how he closed....and dont' underestimate the signing of Shoop and Scott. i think those were two very shrewd moves that made a difference.

the immediate future looks good, but long term, if this is how it's going to be, we are going to be fine.

the best part about that Fade is that there's depth ahead of a lot of those guys so they can either find a fit as a rotational player, on special teams etc...but not expected to carry the weight just yet.

they get the chance to develop. something this staff has had to do on the fly up to this point. this is the first class they've brought in that we won't HAVE TO SEE right away in a trial by fire.....that in and of itself gave them some flexibility.

and they were still able to bring in a few players that very well could be, and probably will be, immediate contributors. all around, i have no problems with this class and i CBJ plenty of props for it, especially how he closed....and dont' underestimate the signing of Shoop and Scott. i think those were two very shrewd moves that made a difference.

the immediate future looks good, but long term, if this is how it's going to be, we are going to be fine.
Well said.

I hate saying this, LOL, but I agree with Fade.

I also think some of our new recruits and this entire recruiting class will prove in a couple of years to be very underrated.

I honestly believe this class is really a top 8 to 10 class and may prove to be even better than that over time.

I think we already have quality replacements on the team now for everyone that graduates or leaves after next season.

Our recruiting now has already become all about filling needs to keep reloading and having the younger kids ready to start when their time comes.

buTch walked in the door on day 1 with a solid plan and he's stuck to it relentlessly and it's showing the results now.

Next season I honestly believe our O is going to buTch slap people and our D is going to Shoop stomp people.

Together that equals WINS.

Building a Champion #BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Don't regret agreeing with me........it means you're on the right track :)

I'm disappointed that we didn't land another big physical running back. I felt that we needed that THIS year to start developing him to take Hurd's place because you know Hurd's going to the league after this year and I think we need that type of RB for this offense.

Also I felt we needed to land another big time defensive tackle for depth purposes.

Also, I'm disappointed that we failed to land more of the top in-state talent like Donte Vaughn and Bryce Mathews. I believe we only got 2 out of the 5 top players in the state this year, which IMO can't happen. We have GOT to protect our own state.

Beyond those 3 complaints, I'm happy with the class. Could it and should it have been better? Yes I think it should have honestly. However I'm excited to see who we got perform!

Last edited:
A very nice class to me. Butch starts the job of stockpiling talented kids for depth, development and stars of tomorrow. Tough job but Saban and staff gets the 4 and 5 stars to buy in. We win the East and 2017 will be very special recruiting year.

GO VOLS!

I'm disappointed that we didn't land another big physical running back. I felt that we needed that THIS year to start developing him to take Hurd's place because you know Hurd's going to the league after this year and I think we need that type of RB for this offense.

Also I felt we needed to land and another big time defensive tackle for depth purposes.

Also, I'm disappointed that we failed to land more of the top in-state talent like Donte Vaughn and Bryce Mathews. I believe we only got 2 out of the 5 top players in the state this year, which IMO can't happen. We have GOT to protect our own state.

Beyond those 3 complaints, I'm happy with the class. Could it and should it have been better? Yes I think it should have honestly. However I'm excited to see who we got perform!

you know what's cool about some of this? playing time becomes a selling point again in this upcoming class. we're going to go thru some NFL attrition next off season.

and i'm not sure, but does anyone have a guesstimate on how many 'ships we'll have to offer for the 17 cycle? i gotta think it will be 25+, right?

I had a dream that Peyton wins and then becomes our QB coach. And then we time traveled to watch the 1998 NC game, and we beat Nebraska. Lenard Little, hit Frost every time he came down the line, Vols win!

Then the girl baby, wakes me up yelling at the boy baby.

Go Vols!

I feel like all of Butch's recruiting classes have had this quality. Like last year Austin Smith a 3 star but offered by Alabama and played a significant role as a true freshman. Others: Chance Hall. Coleman Thomas. John Kelly, Emmanuel Mosley, Jashon Roobertson, Malik Foreman, Brett Kendrick, josh Smith, Cam Sutton, Cory Vereen, Kendal Vickers, Dylan Weisman (this was limited to Rivals 3 stars that play roles early in their careers). If you look at the list UT Sports put out for this years class, 16 of our recruits were at least 4 stars in one of the 4 recruiting services but rivals only indicates 11 including our 5 star Kongbo.

A very nice class to me. Butch starts the job of stockpiling talented kids for depth, development and stars of tomorrow. Tough job but Saban and staff gets the 4 and 5 stars to buy in. We win the East and 2017 will be very special recruiting year.

GO VOLS!

This. We have now entered into a new realm on the recruiting trail. The message on class(full) #1 & #2 was "come and play NOW and help build a champion". This year and going fwd it's "come and join a champion and take your developmental place in the pecking order".

Unfortunately, this year was a crossroads year. We aint won nothing yet so the sales pitch was little tougher. That's @ to change.

I had a dream that Peyton wins and then becomes our QB coach. And then we time traveled to watch the 1998 NC game, and we beat Nebraska. Lenard Little, hit Frost every time he came down the line, Vols win!

Then the girl baby, wakes me up yelling at the boy baby.

Go Vols!

:blink:

Reactions: 2 people

Also I felt we needed to land another big time defensive tackle for depth purposes.

A great physical running back would have been great. However, I think coaches were smart not to reach for one that is not elite. Next year, RB will be a huge need. I think this class was great quality and filled needs well.

Is that many of our 3* signees (Rivals) were recruited nationally like 4 and 5* recruits and their offer lists reflect as much. Tatum, Brandon Johnson, Fils-Aime, Corey Henderson, and Buchanan literally could have gone almost anywhere. Heck, even L. Williams, our 2* had offers from Virginia Tech and Miami. When many of your 3* signees feel like steals, then it's probably an underrated class. Gets me excited about these guys.

Williams is a 4* on ESPN (I realize ESPN is basically a recruiting joke, though) He also ran an unofficial 4.27 40, and based on his tape that number might be real.

Not a bad guy to take a flyer on.

This. We have now entered into a new realm on the recruiting trail. The message on class(full) #1 & #2 was "come and play NOW and help build a champion". This year and going fwd it's "come and join a champion and take your developmental place in the pecking order".

Unfortunately, this year was a crossroads year. We aint won nothing yet so the sales pitch was little tougher. That's @ to change.

Well put.

And Al Wilson tells CBJ that the true culture of the Vols has been restored under his watch, I know we are on the right track.

This cannot be underestimated. VFL's (Manning included) are excited about the talent CBJ is pulling in. That's a very good sign.

Another good sign is those committed stayed committed.
If Warrior had ended up and Auburn, and Byrd and Williams at Miami, well... that would be "Dooleyesque". Getting Kongbo was huge too. Good close.

A lot of these 3's are 4 stars on other sites, when you put the high light reel on they can play at a high level this class is very under rated like our OL recruits they are all 6-5 or 6-6 around 260lbs and we will be able to redshirt and get them ready for SEC play, plus look at the speed this class has you can't teach that, yes we missed on a few but in the end this class adds depth to this already good team, VOL FANS get ready for a very special ride in 16, Atlanta here we come and when we get there bring on Bama GO VOLS BUCK BAMA:clapping:

VN Store

Back