NSD analysis and the facts...

Titan&Volfan4life

In the words from the movie "Draft Day"...We had a GREAT Day!!!

NSD is always fun for many of us and it's a very important day for our program.

Many put far too much on the rankings though and it's always great to have a top 5 recruiting class but the final ranking doesn't always matter on gameday.

buTch and staff filled some serious needs with some high quality footVol players that fit the systems we run.

They also added some extra excitement with the additions of top recruited players like Byrd, Warrior and Kongbo today when nobody really knew if we could get them or not.

3 of the biggest WINS for today is actually getting back well proven players that would rank as high 5* guys when buTch was able to keep JRM, Sutton and AK and I don't think many of us would swap those VFL's for hardly anyone considering their playing abilities and serious Leadership.

Here's some FACTS to appreciate...

Just 2 short years ago our O line was weak and the guys we had busted their butts giving their all.

Last year our run game was the best it's been in decades and today we added more high quality O linemen to keep pushing te mix and make everyone better, future is bright there.

No need to say ow bright our QB situation is now.

RB group is also rock solid as is our TE and WR groups so we can expect our O to become even more dangerous next season as DeBord and buTch evolve into something a little bit different and productive.

Just 2 short years ago our D line was seriously lacking in depth especially with only 3 DT's in the rotation.

Last year we added some great D line players and today we added even more talent and quality depth.

With what we have now I expect that Coach Shoop knows he has basically 2 starting lineups for our D line and that group of DT's and DE's should become total BEASTS!

Our LB group got better today too.

Our DB group after today should put serious FEAR in the hearts of any QB trying to pass against us with the ballhawks and experience and depth we now have.

Our footVoll program is so bright it's blinding!

The most important FACT is what's already been Proven and that we've all seen for ourselves already...buTch and his staff can coach them up, hold them all accountable with serious expectations, motivate them daily and have them well prepared and fired up on gamedays.

We proved this past season that we do NOT fear any team and that we CAN play with the best in the country.

Bama, Oklahoma and Florida all know for a fact that they got lucky to escape playing us.

Our coaches and players know that too so they're all really hungry and their goal is WIN the SEC and keep pushing forward.

We got better today with this recruiting class but the rankings really don't matter because we filled needs and because our coaches and players all KNOW for a serious FACT that our Tennessee footVol team can line up and WIN against any team in the country.

We have the players, the coaches, the spirit, the mindset and the determination to prove to everyone next season that Tennessee is BACK and we are again a Elite footVol program!

Yes, buTch really has been building a Champion #BrickbyBrick and Coach by Coach.

Next season we start to prove it to the world WIN by WIN!

Proud to always be a VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 84 people
In the words from the movie "Draft Day"...We had a GREAT Day!!!

NSD is always fun for many of us and it's a very important day for our program.

Many put far too much on the rankings though and it's always great to have a top 5 recruiting class but the final ranking doesn't always matter on gameday.

buTch and staff filled some serious needs with some high quality footVol players that fit the systems we run.

They also added some extra excitement with the additions of top recruited players like Byrd, Warrior and Kongbo today when nobody really knew if we could get them or not.

3 of the biggest WINS for today is actually getting back well proven players that would rank as high 5* guys when buTch was able to keep JRM, Sutton and AK and I don't think many of us would swap those VFL's for hardly anyone considering their playing abilities and serious Leadership.

Here's some FACTS to appreciate...

Just 2 short years ago our O line was weak and the guys we had busted their butts giving their all.

Last year our run game was the best it's been in decades and today we added more high quality O linemen to keep pushing te mix and make everyone better, future is bright there.

No need to say ow bright our QB situation is now.

RB group is also rock solid as is our TE and WR groups so we can expect our O to become even more dangerous next season as DeBord and buTch evolve into something a little bit different and productive.

Just 2 short years ago our D line was seriously lacking in depth especially with only 3 DT's in the rotation.

Last year we added some great D line players and today we added even more talent and quality depth.

With what we have now I expect that Coach Shoop knows he has basically 2 starting lineups for our D line and that group of DT's and DE's should become total BEASTS!

Our LB group got better today too.

Our DB group after today should put serious FEAR in the hearts of any QB trying to pass against us with the ballhawks and experience and depth we now have.

Our footVoll program is so bright it's blinding!

The most important FACT is what's already been Proven and that we've all seen for ourselves already...buTch and his staff can coach them up, hold them all accountable with serious expectations, motivate them daily and have them well prepared and fired up on gamedays.

We proved this past season that we do NOT fear any team and that we CAN play with the best in the country.

Bama, Oklahoma and Florida all know for a fact that they got lucky to escape playing us.

Our coaches and players know that too so they're all really hungry and their goal is WIN the SEC and keep pushing forward.

We got better today with this recruiting class but the rankings really don't matter because we filled needs and because our coaches and players all KNOW for a serious FACT that our Tennessee footVol team can line up and WIN against any team in the country.

We have the players, the coaches, the spirit, the mindset and the determination to prove to everyone next season that Tennessee is BACK and we are again a Elite footVol program!

Yes, buTch really has been building a Champion #BrickbyBrick and Coach by Coach.

Next season we start to prove it to the world WIN by WIN!

Proud to always be a VFL...GBO!!!

Translation: "We gon whoop they AZZ!!!"

Reactions: 31 people
OP,

I pretty much agree with you. I'm one that doesn't pop champagne bottles on signing day rankings. I want to see kids that want to play for UT.

I do think it's funny though how many people will now say that recruiting rankings don't matter and that we filled needs. Which, of course, is true.

UT is coming back. This season should be fun to watch!

Reactions: 2 people
More than anything I feel that the 2016 recruiting class is....interesting!

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the recruits that we got. However after two straight years of top 5 classes and coming off of our best season since 2007, I do have to wonder....what happened with this class??? I don't ask that to suggest that it's a bad class because it's far from it. I ask because it's ranking doesn't seem to coincide with the upward trending trajectory that our program is currently on. I cannot help but feel that SOMETHING went awry with the 2016 recruitment process beyond the simple "low numbers" rationale. Maybe we'll never know for sure. Was part of it the low number of elite in-state prospects this year? Was part of it the change in recruiting coordinator from 2014 to 2016? Was part of it just bad luck? I don't know. I just find it interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Thought CZA was recruiting coordinator and now it is CRG

Last edited:
I'm just glad NSD is not something to worry about anymore. Seems for awhile there it meant the only flipping done was UT commits. Now, CBJ saves the best for last.

Reactions: 4 people

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the recruits that we got. However after two straight years of top 5 classes and coming off of our best season since 2007, I do have to wonder....what happened with this class??? I don't ask that to suggest that it's a bad class because it's far from it. I ask because it's ranking doesn't seem to coincide with the upward trending trajectory that our program is currently on. I cannot help but feel that SOMETHING went awry with the 2016 recruitment process beyond the simple "low numbers" rationale. Maybe we'll never know for sure. Was part of it the low number of elite in-state prospects this year? Was part of it losing Bajakian as the recruiting coordinator? Was part of it just bad luck? I don't know. I just find it interesting.
Due to large signing numbers the last few years, we were more limited in scholarships. We signed around thirty the first year I believe. 21 was our max this year. We needed less skill players and more in the trenches which also equates to lower scores as skill players inflate rankings.

Reactions: 18 people
Due to large signing numbers the last few years, we were more limited in scholarships. We signed around thirty the first year I believe. 21 was our max this year. We needed less skill players and more in the trenches which also equates to lower scores as skill players inflate rankings.

There were other schools that signed similar numbers that ranked higher. I refuse to accept that as a reason. You may be right on your second point though.

Reactions: 7 people
There were other schools that signed similar numbers that ranked higher. I refuse to accept that as a reason. You may be right on your second point though.

We end with a per player ranking on par or slightly better than any other year under Jones.
Of course it always looks/feels better to have the higher overall ranking, I agree.
But this class was not the dip in quality the overall rating makes it seem.

Reactions: 3 people
I see some cascading events that led to a good day.
First - the way the team finished the season. It's obvious 119 has some chemistry that has been lacking.

Next- A couple of good hires after the Outback Bowl. In my mind, Shoop was influential (already had a relationship) with keeping JRM and Cam. These guys stayed because of unfinished business. Pulling Larry Scott in from Miami also helped in getting some Florida guys we may not have landed otherwise. He is well connected in South Florida.

Also - Keeping JRM,Cam and AK definitely helped pull in some big fish. Team 120 was as helpful in keeping the social media flowing and flipping some of these guys. I think they helped pull in Kongbo and helped to flip Byrd.

All in all, I think CBJ has put in great infrastructure to haul in good players. Success breeds success. Things are going in the right direction.

And.. it may be just me.. but beating Kentucky in basketball last night sure put me in a good mood for this today. Coach Barnes was all smiles in the War room!! Hope he watched the bricks stacking and stacks some of his own!!

Reactions: 8 people
Our per-recruit avg rating is high, and we filled positions of need for the most part. Myself, I think today was progress suiting our upward trajectory.

Reactions: 8 people

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the recruits that we got. However after two straight years of top 5 classes and coming off of our best season since 2007, I do have to wonder....what happened with this class??? I don't ask that to suggest that it's a bad class because it's far from it. I ask because it's ranking doesn't seem to coincide with the upward trending trajectory that our program is currently on. I cannot help but feel that SOMETHING went awry with the 2016 recruitment process beyond the simple "low numbers" rationale. Maybe we'll never know for sure. Was part of it the low number of elite in-state prospects this year? Was part of it the change in recruiting coordinator from 2014 to 2016? Was part of it just bad luck? I don't know. I just find it interesting.

Chance of immediate playing time, they don't see it now as they did the last 2 years.

Reactions: 1 person
UT ended up according to ESPN as the 15th best class in college football! It is apparent that we signed football players that will fortify the 2016 team. No one can tell anyone how well these individuals will turn out to be but judging on their athletic abilities they should be a benefit to the team. We did not have room for a lot of players this year. We did sign 10 4 star players and 1 5 star player. That is over 50% of the players that were signed. There were many schools that did not sign that many good players.
So I do not consider that anything went wrong in this recruiting class.
Franchuck

Reactions: 2 people
Just the numbers for Butch's 4 classes...

Average Stars........3.52.....3.63.....3.65.....3.18
Avg Player Rating...5.75.....5.77.....5.78.....5.66
Players Signed.........21.......30.......31.......22

Reactions: 3 people
It seems to me recruiting is interesting in general. Not just this year. TN is a tough place to recruit, hence the high budget. And because of that I don't know that we will ever be at the place of getting top 10 classes year in year out like the ND,USC,AL,TX, FSU of the world. But keeping a great coach and developing players will always keep us in the mix of being competitive. But these numbers can be silly, 1-2 players can be the difference in 5-6 spots in rankings. Plus some years are just odd and have nothing to do with trends. Look at Oklahoma, went to playoff but barely squeaked out a top 25 ranking

It seems to me recruiting is interesting in general. Not just this year. TN is a tough place to recruit, hence the high budget. And because of that I don't know that we will ever be at the place of getting top 10 classes year in year out like the ND,USC,AL,TX, FSU of the world. But keeping a great coach and developing players will always keep us in the mix of being competitive. But these numbers can be silly, 1-2 players can be the difference in 5-6 spots in rankings. Plus some years are just odd and have nothing to do with trends. Look at Oklahoma, went to playoff but barely squeaked out a top 25 ranking

That's a great point about Oklahoma. What happened to THEIR recruiting??

Now the Vols coaching staff needs to coach..... and build the depth needed to win championships.
Go Vols

OP,

I pretty much agree with you. I'm one that doesn't pop champagne bottles on signing day rankings. I want to see kids that want to play for UT.

I do think it's funny though how many people will now say that recruiting rankings don't matter and that we filled needs. Which, of course, is true.

UT is coming back. This season should be fun to watch!

Our ranking is really good for how many kids we could take. If we had three more spots we'd be top ten at least.

Our ranking is really good for how many kids we could take. If we had three more spots we'd be top ten at least.

We signed worse players on average that in years prior. If we would have taken 30 the rest would have been 3 stars. There is no way to spin this as anything other than a drop.

We signed worse players on average that in years prior. If we would have taken 30 the rest would have been 3 stars. There is no way to spin this as anything other than a drop.

It was a very good class and a lot of credit needs to be given to Kamara, JRM, Dobbs and Sutton.

VN Store

Back