Could Hurd be a real Heisman contender for 2016?

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
image.jpg

Jalen Hurd rushed for 1,288 YDS and 12 TDs in the regular season of 2015. He also rushed for 130 YDS and 1 TD against Northwestern in the Outback Bowl who had the #12th ranked scoring defense. He didn't get as much recognition the likes of Fournette & Henry but played just as productive if not better during the regular season. We all know Hurd is a special player at Tennessee whose also had strong comparisons to Eddie George. I can easily see him breaking 1,000 YDS again next season and possibly be a 1st round pick in the NFL draft. Now the question is whether he could be a Heisman contender for 2016 is up to the "experts" but I don't see how he couldn't be in the running with another productive season. What about it Volnation?

View attachment 105287

Jalen Hurd rushed for 1,288 YDS and 12 TDs in the regular season of 2015. He also rushed for 130 YDS and 1 TD against Northwestern in the Outback Bowl who had the #12th ranked scoring defense. He didn't get as much recognition the likes of Fournette & Henry but played just as productive if not better during the regular season. We all know Hurd is a special player at Tennessee whose also had strong comparisons to Eddie George. I can easily see him breaking 1,000 YDS again next season and possibly be a 1st round pick in the NFL draft. Now the question is whether he could be a Heisman contender for 2016 is up to the "experts" but I don't see how he couldn't be in the running with another productive season. What about it Volnation?

Your first sentence is wrong. He rushed for 1,285 total yards, 13 games. 1,155 in the 12 regular season games and 11 tds....plus the 130 yds and 1 TD in the bowl game.

And no, I don't think he'll be a heisman contender next year. The preseason favorites will be McCaffrey, Fournette and Watson IMO. Anybody else that will get mentions and consideration will have had to do phenomenal things and as good as Jalen is, I don't think he'll do that given his role in our offense and how our offense is structured. If Kamara stays and Dobbs is healthy I expect an offensive year in 2016 very similar to the 2015 season....1200-1300 yards rushing and 10-15 tds rushing for Hurd and that won't be enough to garner first team SEC acolades, much less Heisman consideration. Jmo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Henry won it (and it was controversial) and had 25 TD's with 2000+ yards. Hurd would have to do a lot more tbh.

Reactions: 2 people
Screw the Heisman imo. I'd take another year of Kamara getting carries along with Hurd and winning a NC over an individual award anyday.

Reactions: 13 people
As with all the other individual awards, a player's chances are MUCH higher if his team is winning big. They march together hand-in-hand.

We get to the playoffs, and you can bet that Dobbs, or Hurd, or both, will be in the Heisman conversation.

Reactions: 4 people
Hurd, as much as I love him, would be doubtful. If every game for him next year was like the bowl game, and he added an extra TD each game, then maybe. Dobbs on the other hand....

I really could care less what the Heistman Committee decides. It is a beauty contest only with only a tenuous connection to reality. If they could deny the award to Majors and Peyton, it has no meaning to me anymore. Face it, Hurd could rush for 12,000 yards in a season, walk on water, cure cancer and invent a perpetual motion machine during halftime and the Heistman committee would find some excuse to give the trophy to the third string water boy for Notre Dame

Reactions: 2 people
Your first sentence is wrong. He rushed for 1,285 total yards, 13 games. 1,155 in the 12 regular season games and 11 tds....plus the 130 yds and 1 TD in the bowl game.

And no, I don't think he'll be a heisman contender next year. The preseason favorites will be McCaffrey, Fournette and Watson IMO. Anybody else that will get mentions and consideration will have had to do phenomenal things and as good as Jalen is, I don't think he'll do that given his role in our offense and how our offense is structured. If Kamara stays and Dobbs is healthy I expect an offensive year in 2016 very similar to the 2015 season....1200-1300 yards rushing and 10-15 tds rushing for Hurd and that won't be enough to garner first team SEC acolades, much less Heisman consideration. Jmo.

Yep..similar thoughts. Not a knock on Jalen it's the fact that UT will have multiple guys gaining yards on the ground. Will help him down the road physically but hurt his stats.

Who knows but just throwing it out there, the VOLS' best shot at Heisman may be 3-4 years from now with Jarret Guarantano. He looks like he could put up ridiculous stats if he continues to progress.

Hurd is one of the most consistent RB's UT has ever had. He can get you a solid 100 yds against any great run-stopping defense.

If anyone can do it, it's him.

Reactions: 1 person
No, no and no. With the kid from Stanford back, Fourtenette at LSU, Watson at Clemson.....there is just no way I see this even being a possibility. I would think Chubb at UGA would make it into that discussion before JH (assuming he is healthy).

I know it would never happen, but I would like for some UT player to come in first in the Heistman race one year, walk up to the podium, say "Thank you, but out of respect to Johnny Majors and Peyton Manning, I cannot accept this discredited award", do a Mike drop and walk off stage.

Reactions: 7 people
In my opinion whoever takes over the offense next year, Hurd or Dobbs, will get serious consideration. I don't see two players up there but could see either of these guys being considered.

i love hurd, but the Heisman has already been determined barring injury for the stanford player.

Gotta win at least 10 games to be in the conversation.

Last edited:
If he played elsewhere, then he could get a Heisman but not at U.T. Manning should have won but didn't. Majors should have been ahead of Horning but lost to him. Shuler should have won against Charlie Ward. Jamaal Lewis wasn't even on the Heisman radar. Carl Pickens wasn't considered because he was mostly a defensive player and special teams player sprinkled with a few receiving plays. However; less than 7 years later Woodson won by doing exactly what Pickens had done.

We have had players who deserved the Heisman but because we are U.T., they will never get awarded one.

If Kamara goes to the NFL then maybe. But no way if he's splitting PT with him.

Even if Kamara went to the NFL, Hurd would split reps with Kelly. Doudt bUTch will allow Hurd to get completely worn out by excessive carries each game. Keep him fresh because next season we will play in 15 games.

12 regular season games. S.E.C. Championship game against Alabama. 1st play off game against Southern Cal, then the 2nd play off game against Ohio Sate. That totals 15 games.

VN Store

Back