Position changes

Fingers

Someone in the recruiting forum brought up Jack Jones working at center earlier this month and Jason Croom working at tight end.

"We will look more into that during spring football," Jones said of possible position moves. "For the most part the only one was Jason Croom and that's kind of a decision we made with him a while back. Those are invaluable reps in individuals drills that he was able to gain through bowl preparations."

Any guesses on other position changes we might see between now and the end of spring?

Jack Jones -> center
Jason Croom -> tight end
Jauan Jennings -> safety

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
hm...what gives, trying to make room for others at WR? i feel like we should be pretty set at Safety and TE....

insight on the motivation here?

Reactions: 1 person
I'd guess Jones getting snaps at center is more about cross-training than an actual position change.

Fair enough and a good point. I don't think anyone expects Jones to start at center next year. We've seen this staff move guys around, getting them a little work at multiple positions.

Last edited:
hm...what gives, trying to make room for others at WR? i feel like we should be pretty set at Safety and TE....

We lose McNeil and Randolph. Im thinking the starting safeties next year will be Gaulden and TK. Im sure Evan will get alot of playing time there also. We def need depth at safety. Losing Randy and McNeil will sting!

The idea of Jennings at safety is exciting. That just seems like a perfect fit for him. I love him at WR, but something tells me he could be a superstar at safety.

Reactions: 6 people
Jack Jones at center is a good move IMO.

Jennings at safety, I would LOVE to see!

Croom back at TE, I don't think that's wise personally at this point in his career. What's the point? He only has one more year of eligibility left and he'd need at least a full season to get acclimated back to the position.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd guess Jones getting snaps at center is more about cross-training than an actual position change.

Yes, with Crowder graduating, you have to find a backup for Thomas in 2016.

Jennings hits like a load of bricks, so I can see him at safety.

With Kyle Oliver washing out, need depth at tight end. With additional weight, Croom is a fit for that role.

Among the longer shots..
1) Based on his high school play, Mosley might be a DT instead of a guard.
2) if Karama enters the draft, could Evan Berry have a role on offense. Great speed and running skills with ball in hand.
3) Since we don't throw deep, is Preston Williams a tall DB to replace a NFL bound Cam.
4) Among the legacies, who is more than a special team player...Bates, Elliott Berry, Creamer

Reactions: 2 people

Croom back at TE, I don't think that's wise personally at this point in his career. What's the point? He only has one more year of eligibility left and he'd need at least a full season to get acclimated back to the position.

Croom will most likely get a 6th year of eligibility if he wants it. He has lost 2 years due to injury.

If Croom don't have the dropsies... him playing TE would be a big mismatch against any LB we play next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
My favorite so far is Preston to CB. How does one come up with such an idea? His skill set is the opposite of a CB.

Reactions: 10 people
Fair enough and a good point. I don't think anyone expects Jones to start at center next year. We've seen this staff move guys around, getting them work at multiple positions.

I've read about Weisman, Raulerson, and Crowder of course, All taking practice snaps at center. I think that kind of cross-training on the interior OL is pretty common, more common there than any other position in football anyway. I'm sure it's so they can shuffle around in case of injury to keep the best 5 on the field. Seems like I remember Fulmer doing it often as well.

I could definitely see Jones spending his junior and senior years as starting guard AND #2 or #3 center. Could be the case next year, but Weisman looked good at guard as the season progressed and may not give his spot opposite Robertson up without a fight.

The idea of Jennings at safety is exciting. That just seems like a perfect fit for him. I love him at WR, but something tells me he could be a superstar at safety.

I agree, he could be a freak at Safety! would love to see him there! Kids gonna be a pro somewhere someday!

Croom to TE tell me that he will try to fill Alex Ellis position on blocker perhaps

We have no one proven at all at TE behind Wolf. And we're losing both starters at safety. Doug Mathews said Sunday that Gaulden will undoubtedly be moved to safety. Said he really believes Jennings will as well and as he discussed it, made it sound like he believed would be a starter. Mentioned Griffin (called him a different name but I knew who he meant), Berry and TKJr as well. I was a bit surprised because I feel certain that TKJr starts day 1 next year and the others likely battle it out for the second starter.

VN Store

Back