Gen. Neyland superstition

Volunteer2012

Me and my dad were discussing this over Christmas, isn't there some superstition about visiting the General's grave? If so what is it? I feel like there is one I just don't remember

Me and my dad were discussing this over Christmas, isn't there some superstition about visiting the General's grave? If so what is it? I feel like there is one I just don't remember

I don't know of a superstition, per se, but I believe some UT rep puts a flag on his grave on game day.

Some fans go to General Neyland's grave the night before the first home game, salute him and ask for the Vols to have a good season. And some fans leave orange flowers on his grave before UT games-- both out of respect and to bring good luck. Is that what you mean?

Some fans go to General Neyland's grave the night before the first home game, salute him and ask for the Vols to have a good season. And some fans leave orange flowers on his grave before UT games-- both out of respect and to bring good luck. Is that what you mean?

They should come up with a different strategy

Reactions: 4 people
Superstitions are silky and childish, but to be sure I haven't showered or changed my underwear since friday. Nor will I until after the game this Friday!

Reactions: 1 person
Robert Neylands son once told me a story about when his dad was off serving in the military. Him and some of his buddies were down on the strip late at night and got caught by the police throwing rocks at street lights (not thick glass covered like today's). After many throws, he personally had failed to knock any lights out but was guilty by association. His angry mother wrote to his father and told him what had happened. In response, General Neyland wrote a letter back to let Bob (Robert jr.) know how disappointed he was in him. Disappointed because after all those attempts he couldn't hit at least one street light.

Reactions: 5 people
Superstitions are silky and childish, but to be sure I haven't showered or changed my underwear since friday. Nor will I until after the game this Friday!

WOW.. a whole week of not changing underwear. I think you are a stinking liar, or you are bragging, or at least homeless.( blue font) :eek:lol:

Last edited:

you are a stinking liar, or you're bragging.WOW.. a whole week of not changing underwear. I think :eek:lol:

Robert Neylands son once told me a story about when his dad was off serving in the military. Him and some of his buddies were down on the strip late at night and got caught by the police throwing rocks at street lights (not thick glass covered like today's). After many throws, he personally had failed to knock any lights out but was guilty by association. His angry mother wrote to his father and told him what had happened. In response, General Neyland wrote a letter back to let Bob (Robert jr.) know how disappointed he was in him. Disappointed because after all those attempts he couldn't hit at least one street light.

Obligatory - cool story bro

Reactions: 3 people

I have also heard that same story told. I think it was at the dedication ceremony for the General's statue.

WOW.. a whole week of not changing underwear. I think you are a stinking liar, or you are bragging, or at least homeless.( blue font) :eek:lol:

I'd have the stinking part down!

Talk about life of the party...geez, good luck with that...:)

GO VOLS!

Are your drawers silky and childish? I am confused

Silky superstitions? Is that a new romance novel you are reading?

I have also heard that same story told. I think it was at the dedication ceremony for the General's statue.

That story can also be found in the book "Neyland: The Gridiron General". That is truly a must read for any Vol fan.

This reminds me of the James Bond movie where they put a top hat on the grave and hit the headstone with a sword three times to bring up Baron Samedi.

Maybe if we hit it three times with a yard marker, the General will rise up and go haunt Saban.

VN Store

Back