Report: Tennessee working on extension, raise for Butch Jones

Titans4Vols

8jtT91R.png

https://twitter.com/TennesseeBeat/status/671417487951593472

Reactions: 5 people
Good foresight to get this done this year. If he does well next year the asking price goes up.

The Scoop

Tennessee: Sources tell FootballScoop that the Tennessee administration is preparing another extension / raise for Butch Jones.

Reactions: 11 people
ehhhhhhh I definitely support Butch, but I would wait at least till we won the East (hopefully next year) to do this.

Reactions: 10 people
ehhhhhhh I definitely support Butch, but I would wait at least till we won the East (hopefully next year) to do this.

Agreed. If they want to give raises I'm good with that but not an extension just yet. Revisit that next season. JMO

Reactions: 3 people
That's shameful.

Regardless of opinion of Butch, keeping continuity here is important right now. I'm not the fondest of him or the biggest critic of his either, but we're as good as we've been since 2007 and he's bringing in even more great talent with this next recruiting class.

If his coaching gets up to par is yet to be seen, but as of now he's easily our best option and showing that commitment to him and his staff in a time where so many schools are either firing their head coaches(Georgia), or creating great uncertainty about the future(LSU), the university placing this much faith in him will help recruiting. Recruits won't be looking at us like they're looking at LSU right now wondering if the guys recruiting them are still going to be here in 2017 or whatever the case.

Reactions: 40 people
Every year every coach is negotiated with or is fired. It would be amazing to see any coach be given a bump in anticipation of a pending outstanding year and then not do it again if it actually happens. These contracts are ridiculously one sided. Somebody please kill all of the lawyers.

Reactions: 2 people
Hilarious and also sad. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

At least we don't have to pretend the coaches actually have loyalty. ....so we have that going for us. ....which is nice.

Reactions: 7 people
Good foresight to get this done this year. If he does well next year the asking price goes up.

The Scoop

Tennessee: Sources tell FootballScoop that the Tennessee administration is preparing another extension / raise for Butch Jones.

I understand the logic behind this argument, however if we do really well next year(win the east/10 games/etc), another raise will occur, I'd assume, assuming this raise doesn't bring him up to being among the highest paid coaches in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
it makes sense if only because of the current landscape of college football...there's a dozen jobs open, so before anything is used as leverage, go ahead and get it done. probably cost less to do it now, and you save yourself from being in the rumor mill.

despite what some will have you believe, there are schools out there that would love to take a run at a guy that can bring in top 10 classes get your program to minimum 8 win level....

Reactions: 41 people
"Signature win" over a coach that got fired + 5 wins against glorified high school teams to end the regular season = lifetime contract at UT now. Just go join the Sun Belt already.

Reactions: 39 people
I understand the logic behind this argument, however if we do really well next year(win the east/10 games/etc), another raise will occur, I'd assume, assuming this raise doesn't bring him up to being among the highest paid coaches in the SEC.
i'm sure there will be incentives going forward that will take care of that.

Every year every coach is negotiated with or is fired. It would be amazing to see any coach be given a bump in anticipation of a pending outstanding year and then not do it again if it actually happens. These contracts are ridiculously one sided. Somebody please kill all of the lawyers.

Let's kill them tonight.

"Signature win" over a coach that got fired + 5 wins against glorified high school teams to end the regular season = lifetime contract at UT now. Just go join the Sun Belt already.

We don't really have a choice in today's age.

Butch has done nothing as of yet that is going to get him fired, and eliminating uncertainty, for now, about his future helps recruiting going forward. Those recruits LSU is going after and Georgia was going after are now open to us and we don't have the issue of our coach being on a hot seat in the eyes of the media or anyone else.

Ignorance.completely asinine statements. Butch deserves a raise, but not a big one. Everyone is having this knee jerk reaction, but let's wait until we see the new raise and extension.

Reactions: 10 people

VN Store

Back