Rush Yards 1903 2682

Pass Yards 2914 2388

Plays 977 905

Total Yards 4817 5070

Yards/Play 4.93 5.60

Yards/G 370.5 422.5

Thanks Coach Debord!

Reactions: 12 people
Why do you think our passing yards were down so much this year? 600 yards is 50 yards per game. I realize the rushing is up but it would've been nice to at least equal what we did last year in passing. We have the same players as last year. More emphasis on running I guess or not behind as much during games and having to pass.

Reactions: 1 person
Why do you think our passing yards were down so much this year? 600 yards is 50 yards per game. I realize the rushing is up but it would've been nice to at least equal what we did last year in passing. We have the same players as last year. More emphasis on running I guess or not behind as much during games and having to pass.

Worley is a better passer. That has something to do with it. Dobbs didn't throw for a lot of yards last year either.

Notice the best passing game was a big hole vs Georgia?

Double digit leads vs Florida and OU means more runs, and they tried passing against a horrible Arky secondary but the players failed. Other games were.blowouts.

We haven't thrown as much but the yards per attempt are higher.
2014-281-453 62% yards per attempt 6.4
2015 204-341 60% yards per attempt 7.0

We haven't thrown as much but the yards per attempt are higher.
2014-281-453 62% yards per attempt 6.4
2015 204-341 60% yards per attempt 7.0

Thanks for this stat. I was wondering how many passes we attempted this year compared to last.

It's 25 yards per game less (224 vs 199)...probably due to the more successful rushing attack...

Mostly because Debord called more running plays than passing plays all season.

We were playing from behind more last season than this season. This required more passing last season and allowed for more running this season.

You guys talking about how bad our play calling is should switch teams. We played four top 10 defenses and generally did very well against them, particularly on the ground.... Something that hasn't consistently happened at Tennessee. You young dummies don't remember the ground and pound games of old, and this years attack was better because it was played fast.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't feel the issue with Debord is game planning... if you stop and think, in almost every game this year, TN came out and was able to move the ball and score successfully early on. This indicates to me that teams had trouble with our speed and that our offensive game plan was sound. Early in many games we were, generally speaking, able to establish some offensive rhythm and avoid situations where we were in 2nd / 3rd and long.

Against the better coached, more athletic teams we played, our issues generally began late 2nd / mid 3rd quarter as adjustments were made by the defenses we were facing. I don't know if it was stubbornness, ineptitude, lack of execution by players, or some mix of all of the above; but UT's Offense struggled mightily to make the adjustments necessary to counter their opponents' defensive adjustments. The majority of the time this was while nursing a lead, and I can understand that Debord and Jones might have been eager to run clock and avoid anything drastic, especially as the defensive ranks thinned over the course of the season; however, this lack of timely adjustment, in my opinion, cost them at least 2 ball games and made several other games much closer than they needed to be.

The frustrating thing to me, is that Debord and the offensive staff HAVE the ability to quickly adjust and improve their game plan on the fly. You need look no further than the Georgia game for and excellent example of that. After some early struggles in the red zone against the bulldogs, Debord switched up his play calling and was able to exploit weaknesses in GA's defensive scheme.

I feel that Butch's decision on how much change to make with the offensive staff comes down to a matter of self-preservation. He has assembled a group of offensive players that are athletic and that work well in space. He's got one football to spread around to them on the outsides while still feeding the beast that is Hurd and Kamara. It is no secret that expectations will be extremely high for next season and that any semblance of excuses due to inexperience or lack of depth (at least offensively) won't be viewed kindly. He needs to have an offensive staff that can handle the x's and o's, both in terms of game planning AND in terms of in-game coaching and adjustments. I also feel like they really need an honest-to-god Quarterbacks coach installed this off season. The absolute worst scenario for Jones and company would be to come out next season and struggle early with Dobbs at QB. Dormady will be the most popular guy not named Manning in Knoxville and it will be extremely difficult to sustain focus for Dobbs (and Dormady for that matter) if everyone is calling for a change. Give both of those guys and the guys behind them, a dedicated and experienced person to work solely on the QB position to set them up for success.

VN Store

Back