Are the Vols a good football team now? Perhaps they have been all year.

Dobbs 4 Heisman

Tennessee Football: Hey, Remember Us? - Rocky Top Talk

Really good article. I think this year has given me more hope than despair. The close losses early sucked but I truly believe they'll make this team better off for it next year.

18 starters returning. All those true freshmen we relied on becoming stud sophomores. Our core of stud sophomores becoming experienced juniors. Another top 10 recruiting class.

12-0 here we come!!!

Reactions: 15 people
I don't believe next year's team will be better because this year's team couldn't close games. But I do think great things are on the horizon.

Reactions: 2 people
The Vols are a 4 loss Team, in which there is not much discussion outside of the Tennessee fan base. Certainly "improved" and left to speculation whether "good" can be used to describe. I personally would reserve any superlatives outside of "improved" till more Ws are achieved.

Reactions: 9 people
I don't believe next year's team will be better because this year's team couldn't close games. But I do think great things are on the horizon.

The players did fail in a few spots. Dropped tds and missed fgs, but the coaches equally lost them too. Like the Florida game

Reactions: 3 people
The Vols are a 4 loss Team, in which there is not much discussion outside of the Tennessee fan base. Certainly "improved" and left to speculation whether "good" can be used to describe. I personally would reserve any superlatives outside of "improved" till more Ws are achieved.

I detest such a reasoned and well thought out response - please edit this to include hyperbole and extreme irrational emotionalism...

Maybe mix in some conspiracy theory and mention that Jabbar Gaffney did NOT catch that ball...

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee Football: Hey, Remember Us? - Rocky Top Talk

Really good article. I think this year has given me more hope than despair. The close losses early sucked but I truly believe they'll make this team better off for it next year.

18 starters returning. All those true freshmen we relied on becoming stud sophomores. Our core of stud sophomores becoming experienced juniors. Another top 10 recruiting class.

12-0 here we come!!!

Agree 12-0 is definitely a possibility next year. Our O line and D line should both be improved and that's where games are won and lost in the SEC. We should have all the pieces to possibly go 12-0 other than still a lack of depth so staying relatively healthy will be key.

I told friends before the season started that the Vols wouldn't be undefeated, but would be a hard team to beat. They've been a good team imo all year. A few plays, or coaching mistakes taken away, and those loses are wins. So yea, I think they're good.

Reactions: 1 person
As long as there is improvement shown, I'm not putting a number of wins, only to be disappointed. The most important thing to me is if the COACHES improve.

Team is great. Players have played with a lot of skill, heart and no quit.

It's hard to ignore the way we have lost games this year and our performances in the second half of every game this year save one.

I've got a lot of question marks about the BSiA right now and I was all-in on ButchBord in the off-season. I have seen serious coaching errors in every loss this year - including Bama.

Reactions: 4 people
I detest such a reasoned and well thought out response - please edit this to include hyperbole and extreme irrational emotionalism...

Maybe mix in some conspiracy theory and mention that Jabbar Gaffney did NOT catch that ball...

He didn't!!!!!

I feel similar but disagree on others taking notice outside of Tennessee. I live in Ohio and even the high and mighty osu fans acknowledge that we are markedly better and are on the brink of being great. A lot of respect for Butch up here in addition to Dobbs which we kinda take for granted his play. Most notice we are only 17 points shy of perfection and even more think we have outplayed all opponents besides Arkansas, I'm actually pretty happy with this year if we get to 9 wins as the future looks very bright.

Reactions: 6 people
18 starters returning is all you need to know. The youth is real and another year in the program will see monumental improvement.

The rest of the SEC is going to have huge QB issues again next fall. UF included.

He didn't. :)

18 starters returning is all you need to know. The youth is real and another year in the program will see monumental improvement.

The rest of the SEC is going to have huge QB issues again next fall. UF included.

Rumor is Grier is likely to have his suspension over turned for next year. There will be a hearing after the season. He's a first time offender, it wasn't blatant (was an ingredient in something he got from GNC), he had just started using it. and he's been very apologetic and accepted responsibility.

Next year we should be good. This year we are an above average team by SEC standards. Best thing about this year is we never suffered a blowout loss and we had a legit chance to win the games we lost.

My prediction for this season was 8-4 or 9-3, thinking our losses would be to Bama, UGA, and OK, with the Arkansas game being the toss up.

If we do finish 9-4, after the bowl, that's an improvement from 7-6.

We started something like 17 true freshman and sophomores, maybe more now. I have always said 2016 was the year. Hurd and that class as experienced juniors. Dobbs the senior. The Battle at Bristol. It's a setup for a big run. Hopefully our game management is improved and we do just what I expected.

(Side note: I did not expect to lose be games this year like we lost. To know you had the win and gave it away is upsetting. I'd prefer it and all the Highs and Lows over a blowout any day.

Those blowout days are behind us, at least. Losing to Florida by 50 or never being in games to start with was WAY more embarrassing then this season

Good, yes. Great, no. But we're moving in the direction of greatness. At least we finally have a team that can compete in all 3 phases of the game. And they finally have gained some experience and seem to be playing with confidence. There is a lot of reason to be optimistic about the future.

At the start of the season we were the second most popular pick to win the East, after uga.

At the start of next season we will be the second most popular pick to win the East after florida.

But....the pick will have more weight to it, and IMO the more discerning pundits will have the Vols at 1.

Everywhere else you look in the East it's a disaster and UF got lucky quite a bit this year and Grier won't be around when they come to Neyland next year.

Heck, we SHOULD be favored to win the East next year. :rock2:

We've been a very good team all season long, especially vs our best, most important opponents...Oklahoma, Florida and Alabama. Unfortunately, we mismanaged two certain wins vs the first 2, but we were good enough to beat all 3 at different points in the season.

Agree 12-0 is definitely a possibility next year. Our O line and D line should both be improved and that's where games are won and lost in the SEC. We should have all the pieces to possibly go 12-0 other than still a lack of depth so staying relatively healthy will be key.

Do you know how hard it is to go 12-0, particularly in the SEC? I mean, there are only 2 teams right now in all of college football that are undefeated. You think next year we are in that elite group? Tell me you're kidding.

I believe the vols will be a very good team next year, but to predict a undefeated season i cannot do. It's hard for a team to go undefeated in the football world today, especially in the SEC. If we stay healthy, avoid the injury bug team 120 can be very special.

VN Store

Back